2 tblspns chopped garlic
    1 pickled jalapeno pepper
    1 tblspn salt
    1 tblspn black pepper
    6 cups water
    3 ancho chili pods
    1 tblspn ground cumin
    1/2 cup flour

How about a bowl of Texas Red? Don't mind if I do. I've used this recipe for years, always fantastic.

Heat the six cups of water in a pan.

While the water is heating up, roast the ancho chili pods under a hot broiler for ten seconds on each side.

Remove the pods, remove the stem and shake out any seeds inside.

Place the pods in the water that has come to a boil, cover and remove from heat. Steep.

In a large pot, add the oil and butter. When butter melts, add the meat.

Brown the meat on on a medium high heat, stirring often.

While the meat is cooking, peel the onion and dice into 1/4” pieces.

Take the bell pepper and remove the stem, seeds, and membrane. Dice the remaining outer skin into 1/4” pieces.

Add the onions and bell peppers to the meat, mix.

Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, garlic and black pepper, stir well.

A little at a time, add the flour and mix well.

Reduce the heat to medium and let cook for 5 minutes.

Add the water that has the ancho chili pods in (remove the pods first).

Add the tomato sauce and the jalapeno pepper.

Stir well, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

Check and stir every 30 minutes, scraping the bottom of the
    pot with a to keep from burning.

Serve in a large bowl with crackers or cornbread.

Top with fresh, raw, chopped yellow onion. After a bowl of this, you'll slap every other chili maker for holding out on you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kevin Keith; 09-21-2019 at 10:04 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    7594 times
    This sounds delicious !!! I’d love to try it . Only question , with the jalapeños the way you prepped them . How hot is it ? Cause i know the boiling water makes it hotter . That would be the only thing I’d have to leave out cause the wife can’t handle spicy hot anything . But i can !

Member #
    Liked
    274 times
    Sounds great! I am a big fan of chili and hot stuff in general.
    Kevin Keith likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33258 times
    Yessir! That’s real chili. No foreign substances like beans in it!
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    3572 times
    Sounds like a good mild chili. I do think I will try your recipe. The girls and I like it hot, but the wife will not eat it if it’s too spicy. I like to use ghost pepper in mine. Careful! A little goes a long way! My son gave me some Carolina reapers. Honestly, I am a little afraid of them, but you know I am going to try them in a pot of chili this fall.

This post reminds me of me of an oldie but a goodie. Sorry if you have seen it before, but here goes. (I cleaned it up a bit)

Notes from an inexperienced Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting Texas from the East Coast:

Recently I was honoured to be selected as an outstanding famous celebrity in Texas, to be a judge at a Chili cook-off, because no one else wanted to do it. Also the original person called in sick at the last moment, and I happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for directions to the beer wagon when the call came. I was assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili wouldn't be all that spicy, and besides, they told me that I could have free beer during the tasting. So I accepted.

Here are the scorecards from the event:

CHILI # 1: MIKE'S MANIC MONSTER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A little to heavy on tomato. Amusing kick.

JUDGE TWO: Nice, smooth tomato flavour. Very mild.

FRANK: Holy Smoke, what the heck is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway with this stuff. I needed two beers to put the flames out. Hope that's the worst one. Those Texans are crazy.

CHILI # 2: ARTHUR'S AFTERBURNER CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Smokey, with a hint of pork. Slight Jalapeno tang.

JUDGE TWO: Exciting BBQ flavour. Needs more peppers to be taken seriously.

FRANK: Keep this out of reach of children! I'm not sure what I am supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave of two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich manoeuvre. They had to walkie-talkie in three extra beers when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3: FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI

JUDGE ONE: Excellent firehouse chili! Great kick. Needs more beans.

JUDGE TWO: A beanless chili. A bit salty. Good use of red peppers.

FRANK: Call the EPA, I've located a uranium spill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by now. Barmaid pounded me on the back; now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting ****-faced.

CHILI # 4: BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC

JUDGE ONE: Black Bean chili with almost no spice. Disappointing.

JUDGE TWO: Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods. Not much of a chili.

FRANK: I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Sally, the barmaid, was standing behind me with fresh refills; that 300 lb **** is starting to look HOT, just like this nuclear-waste I'm eating.

CHILI # 5: LINDA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER

JUDGE ONE: Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive.

JUDGE TWO: Chili using shredded beef; could use more tomato. Must admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.

FRANK: My ears are ringing, and I can no linger focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly from a pitcher onto it. It really tics me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Freakin' Rednecks! ! !

CHILI # 6: VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY

JUDGE ONE: Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good balance of spice and peppers.

JUDGE TWO: The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions and garlic.

FRANK: My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that slut Sally. I need to wipe my *** with a snow cone!

CHILI # 7: SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned peppers.

JUDGE TWO: Ho Hum. Tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chili peppers at the last moment. I should note that I am worried about Judge # 3.

FRANK: You could puta #)$^@#*&! Grenade in my mouth, pull the #)$^@#*&! pin, and I wouldn't feel a [email protected]&$ thing. I've lost the sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with chili, which slid unnoticed out of my X*$(@#^&$ mouth. My pants are full of lava-like shit, to match my X*$(@#^&$ shirt. At least the during the autopsy they'll know what killed me. I've decided to stop breathing, it's too painful. I'm not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through the four inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8: HELEN'S MOUNT SAINT CHILI

JUDGE ONE: A perfect ending. This is a nice blend chili, safe for all; not too bold, but spicy enough to declare its existence.

JUDGE TWO: This final entry isa good balanced chili, neither mild now hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge # 3 passed out, fell and pulled the chili pot on top of himself. Not sure if he's going to make it. Poor Yank.

FRANK: - - - - - Mama?- - - (Editor's Note: Judge # 3 was unable to report).
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    Ostendo Non Ostendo

A citizen may not be required to offer a ‘good and substantial reason’ why he should be permitted to exercise his rights.
    The right’s existence is all the reason he needs.” —Federal Judge Benson Everett Legg

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2545 times
    Sounds interesting, but i doubt it is very good at all.

In other words, PROVE IT!!!
    Kevin Keith likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RonPT24/7 View Post
    This sounds delicious !!! I’d love to try it . Only question , with the jalapeños the way you prepped them . How hot is it ? Cause i know the boiling water makes it hotter . That would be the only thing I’d have to leave out cause the wife can’t handle spicy hot anything . But i can !
    You can leave the jalapeno out of the recipe with no problem. It doesn't add much heat, just some flavor.
    RonPT24/7 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    550 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Sounds interesting, but i doubt it is very good at all.

In other words, PROVE IT!!!
    C'mon over!

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    You know it's time for me to try something new. I'm gonna make this. Ill report back!
    Kevin Keith likes this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Member #
    Liked
    569 times
    Sounds good, but I'd substitute fresh jalapeno for the pickled one, and I'd add a couple more of them to spice things up a bit.
    Kevin Keith and glenwolde like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links