Cast Iron - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cast Iron

Member #
    Liked
    1556 times
    One more CI fan, here.

Back in my recklessly wasted and misspent youth, I did have occasion to board a summer with a little old widow who had CI of nearly every size and description. she kept the most-often used in the oven at @100 degrees - almost ready to cook in. every piece had that perfect sheen of season. (God bless you, Mrs. Henry, may your kitchen in Heaven be as joyful as the one you maintained here).
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    5223 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Bought a couple more cast iron cooking pans and am in the process of seasoning them. Round #3 in the oven right now. Love cooking with cast iron and not sure why I waited so long to get a cast iron grill pan. Also have a small 2 qt pot being processed. Should be ready to use in a couple hours.
    +1! Welcome to the world of cast iron cooking. Not a lot of folks do it correctly but steak (or ay other protein) can be done REALLY nicely in cast iron. If you really want to get into it check out using a comal on your cooktop. Flat on one side and raised ridges on the other.

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/griddles-a...ll-griddle.asp
    Sekol and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    35207 times
    I'm a bit of a segregationist here... I segregate my cast iron... there's indoor cast iron and outdoor cast iron

Outside I have some great cast iron of the big green egg; a skillet, a half moon piece, flat on one side, ridges on the other. the ridges cook great steaks... the flat side makes great grilled cheese...

Indoor, the usual suspects, my skillet, a ridged cooking iron, dutch oven...
    chefduane and Sekol like this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    21895 times
    We've got a 7 qt dutch oven and about every sized skillet from 8" to 17" and a few sauce pans. We have a couple of older flatirons and I use the cornbread mold for making lead ingots. About the only thing on the wishlist is the double sided griddle. We've cooked just about everything in them with the exception of lasagna and Prime Rib. I'd considered getting the cast iron wok but my 2 hammered steel ones work fine. A couple of the smaller fry pans are from the 50's with decades of seasoning in them and insides as smooth as glass. For most home cooking, you simply can't beat cast iron.
    Sekol likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10678 times
    One of the fringe benefits of managing rental condominiums is that our guests almost all fish, and often lay a zip lock bag off filets on us- usually redfish, trout or sheep's head. The absolute best way to cook those filets is in a cast iron skillet over a charcoal fire.

Lightly oil the skillet- (very light)- and allow it to sit atop a charcoal fire until hot. I mean really hot. Filets into the skillet skinned-side-up and close the lid. Five minutes later, out they come- no need to flip- done perfectly with a light crustiness on the underside.

Now I'm hungry...
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

Member #
    Liked
    2386 times

Tortillas-Bread

I use cast iron for many kitchen duties, roasting veggies, making tortillas, blanching, and so much more.
    Two of the most uses (almost daily) is to re-heat tortillas in the oven [and they stay hot on the table].....
    and making artisan bread.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Member #
    Liked
    21895 times
    Quote Originally Posted by elPescador View Post
    I use cast iron for many kitchen duties, roasting veggies, making tortillas, blanching, and so much more.
    Two of the most uses (almost daily) is to re-heat tortillas in the oven [and they stay hot on the table].....
    and making artisan bread.
    How do you like the ceramic coated CI ?
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    35207 times
    I cant speak for elPescador, but if I am judging right by the photo's, I have a similar size dutch oven to the blue one and love it. The exterior coating is great, easy to clean. Inside its coated, but differently, the light texturing it has makes for great browning and searing just like non coated.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    1700 times
    I'm sure everybody here can both appreciate and feel their pain in the video below...
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

Member #
    Liked
    10946 times
    LOL, got the wife an induction stove a few years ago, and wouldn't you know it, nothing cooks faster or better on induction than cast iron. Suddenly the wife wants more CI skillets and pans. She has some enameled dutch oven (a big one), and a couple of frying pans. The frying pans usually stay in the oven to season, along with the pizza stone.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links