Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Super milk??

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20881 times

Super milk??

Anyone out there know how expiration dates for perishable foods are calculated?

I only ask because the wife and I went grocery shopping yesterday and I happened to pick up a quart of milk. Now, in my past experience, milk is usually dated for expiration ~ 10-14 days after purchase date. I’ve seen half-n-half dated up to a month beyond purchase. But I have NEVER seen milk with an expiration date 90 days out. But, as you can see below, the milk I bought yesterday (8-7-19) is dated to expire 12-2-19. Is there a new pasteurization process I don’t know about?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4739 times
    Back when the unpleasantness in Southeast Asia was going on we would occasionally sail into the Indian Ocean to rattle our sabers. Since this was beyond our logistical pipeline we would run out of stuff like milk pretty quickly. The resupply ships couldn't bring it out because it would go bad before they got to us, and there was no local source that was reliable. So we had sterilized milk. It was in four ounce cartons and was shelf-stable, no refrigeration required. Most tried it once. The taste was ghastly, to put it politely. So we did with bug juice (Kool-Aid) and water. No cereal, and it was wise to avoid anything that had to be made with milk since the taste would convey.

But yours? You might check the dairy's web site to see if they are touting a new pasteurization process. Look to see if there are other containers with similar lengthened dates. And ask the store folks if they have any idea.
    777Driver likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    22704 times
    It's made of people!!!!
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1028 times
    Ohh yea, this milk is over by the green crackers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    I bought some Almond milk once. I thought the wife might try it. She's lactose intolerant. Well, she never tried it, but I did. Turns out I'm Almond intolerant.
    trooperc7, jwc007 and TonyC2639 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    4260 times
    Ultra-Pasteurization
    or irradiated milk.......

Does it have a tritium glow??

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...22030234932793

https://www.thekitchn.com/food-scien...-deal-wi-82428
    Last edited by bobbojama; 08-08-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    daytonaredeye, JimmyA and darbo like this.
    When people lose their way and begin to vote for their own yokes and chains and suddenly we’re all wearing them, when Government turns tyrannical and the light of liberty is being extinguished.... our 2nd amendment is our ONLY hope.

Member #
    Liked
    22537 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    I bought some Almond milk once. I thought the wife might try it. She's lactose intolerant. Well, she never tried it, but I did. Turns out I'm Almond intolerant.
    We use nothing but Almond milk. Except sometimes for recipes like cornbread I'll buy cows milk. I like the Walmart almond milk rather than the Silk. It doesn't taste as...almondy? The whole almond milk thing is a holdover from our 3 month Vegan experience. We just never went back. But the dates on that stuff is always three months out.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31439 times
    Quote Originally Posted by glenwolde View Post
    We use nothing but Almond milk. Except sometimes for recipes like cornbread I'll buy cows milk. I like the Walmart almond milk rather than the Silk. It doesn't taste as...almondy? The whole almond milk thing is a holdover from our 3 month Vegan experience. We just never went back. But the dates on that stuff is always three months out.
    Never again for me. I drank about an 8 ounce glass of the stuff. Didn't taste too bad, but boy, it gave me a new appreciation for the term, "Montezuma's revenge".
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    22704 times
    Name:  proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  46.5 KB
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    1684 times
    Up to a couple of years ago, when I was hauling eggs from the producers/collectors/mass marketers in Indiana and Ohio to the to the repackages/retailers here in PA, the invoices always had a mandatory stamp: "must have expiration dates for more than 66 days from date of invoice stamped on each egg" on that invoice.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links