Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Sometimes I forget...

CWB
    Member #
    Iowa native now living in Missouri on the edge of the Ozarks
    Liked
    36916 times
    No room to garden here. Lower part of the back yard floods when it rains, then sets up like concrete, but the grass grows well. Sooooo, I set out at least two large tomato plants in large pots by the edge of the deck every year. I've lost most of my gardening skills which is no loss because there are "farmer's markets" all over the place, but I still like to have a couple big plants going.

BTW, those ones you're holding look just about perfect.
    230JHP likes this.
    μολὼν λαβέ

The safety is on the frame where God and John Moses Browning intended. - Unknown
    Federal HST, when you care enough to send the very best.

Member #
    Liked
    22238 times
    I prefer mine with bacon....
    misPhyr, 230JHP, CWB and 1 others like this.
    Definition of clip

1: any of various devices that grip, clasp, or hook
    2: a device to hold cartridges for charging the magazines of some rifles; also : a magazine from which ammunition is fed into the chamber of a firearm.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/clip

Member #
    Liked
    1455 times
    Quote Originally Posted by darbo View Post
    Wow where did they come from? I haven't had a good tomato since I moved to FL! Perhaps the only thing I miss about IL.
    The last time I had a bunch of them - AND IT WAS IN FLORIDA - - , I think it was below Miami, maybe below Homestead, about the last right turn before a 27-mile bridge. I got 44,000 pounds of them. All red, ripe, and and took them to Philadelphia.

Flash
    230JHP and darbo like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    774 times
    Starter sets are just now showing up at Lowes. We can plant around March 15TH. I pot my starter sets and set them garden where I'll plant them. I cover them or bring them inside if we got a chance of frost. I can go in the ground before April. I plant three kinds. Celebrity, big boy and Roma. I have a pic from last year somewhere.Name:  SSPX0946.JPG
Views: 35
Size:  498.6 KB
    230JHP and Stroker like this.

Member #
    Liked
    739 times
    One is rich who can enjoy and share the simple pleasures in life. Congratulations to you and your rich wife.

Member #
    Liked
    5105 times
    We have a farmer's market near where I live and work. We get really nice summer harvest tomatoes. Nothing like the depth of flavor from a vine ripened home grown tomato. A bit of trivia - tomatoes are actually a berry and a member of the nightshade family but it is culinarily considered a vegetable.
    230JHP likes this.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

Member #
    Liked
    6937 times
    We've grown both the regular reds and also heirloom tomatoes. Some of the heirlooms are ugly as can be, but have an amazing flavor.

Fresh tomatoes, fresh bread, white mayo, salt and pepper. An awesome combination.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19377 times
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Member #
    Liked
    5973 times
    My wife says that I need to be honest here and even know it would be nice to say she grows these tomatoes in a little homemade Greenhouse built off the barn but that would not be completely the truth.

She bought the tomatoes at our local Winn-Dixie for a dollar 49 pound. They are from Mexico.

I cannot tell a lie and let you all think something different!

Don
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    29409 times
    Great post.

I like to slice up vine ripe tomatoes with cucumbers, a Vadalia onion generously sprinkled with some vinegar pepper sauce.

Good eats when saddled with fried okra and fried pork chops or chicken and corn bread...yum-yum!
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links