Your Favorite Dirt Cheap Eats - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Your Favorite Dirt Cheap Eats

Member #
    Liked
    21820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by McE View Post
    Mac n cheese seems to be a running theme.

Anyone have a cheap recipe for making mac n cheese that would be cheaper than the prepackaged cheese dust offering?
    I dont think you'll find one cheaper than the box o mac as the cost of cheese alone to make it homemade would exceed the price of a box o mac.
    rodfair likes this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46474 times
    Never calculated cost, buy pasta in bulk and shred block cheese to reduce overall cost.

2 cups elbow macaroni cooked & drained
    2 tbsp flour
    1 ½ cups milk.
    1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese

Dissolve 2 tbsp flour in ½ cup milk set a side. In large pot put in 1 cup milk and heat to hot not boiling over med heat. Add in milk and flour mixture and stir in until it thickens, about 3 minutes. Turn heat off and mix in 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese. When well mixed and cheese is melted add in cooked noodles. Season to taste, little salt and black pepper is good.

Cheese types can be mixed up to taste.
    McE likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    4738 times
    Cheese ought to be cheap here in Wisconsin. I don't buy much of it. Only cheese I've bought lately is Midnight Moon from Cypress Grove, as that is my favoritest cheese. Highly recommend it. Not for melting in dishes or topping a whole pizza, but more of a super flavorful, interesting, let melt on your tongue before biting into little crystals in the cheese and enjoy the lingering layers of flavor and sip a teeny bit of dry sauv blanc . . . . dang. Gonna have to go pick some up now, budget be damned.
    Religion-- Giving hope to a world torn apart by religion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    18385 times
    I'm from Texas. I believe you foreigners would call them Pinto Beans. Here we just call them beans. Water, salt, pepper, bacon.

What kind of beans? Think I could make baked beans in a crock pot for cheaper than the canned stuff?

I've crock potted beans before- started with dried chickpeas, slow cooked them, and made hummus. Saved a lot compared to buying premade hummus, esp since I used peanut butter instead of tahini.

As for the reason, an EAA Witness Limited. Then a few mags which apparently need special baseplates to work with the mag well, so the mags are ~$50 ea, and then I'm looking at ~$200 for a race holster, mostly because I don't want to go scratching up the fancy gun in a kydex deal.
    captcook likes this.

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    4738 times
    I have a lot of canned tuna.

What are some interesting ways to use it?
    Religion-- Giving hope to a world torn apart by religion.

Member #
    Liked
    18385 times
    New rule for you. Don't use the rent or food money for guns. Skip the electric bill.

Obama: AK-47s are for soldiers.
    Arwine: MAK-90s are for civilians.

This world would be a much better place if people would mind their own business.
    -Me

Member #
    Liked
    1809 times
    I have a lot of canned tuna.

What are some interesting ways to use it?
    Get some canned Salmon instead. You may be able to pull off the recipe with Tuna, but I don't know how it would taste.

Salmon Pea Wiggle Recipe - Allrecipes.com
    TA's Resident Curmudgeon...

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    27069 times
    At my supermarket, Publix they have beef soup bones. They have so much meat on them that I use them in soups and stews. But boil them in beef stock add spuds veggies pasta etc...freeze.
    Making a big pot of chilli with rice tomorrow. Will do me for breakfast and lunch for the week and the wife lunch for the week. Cost $10.00 thats 15 meals.
    McE likes this.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Member #
    Liked
    6853 times
    Lintels, add chicken broth, mushrooms and onions, season to taste. Very healthy as well. I add a little cheese and a dab of sour cream. A bag of lentils is usually less than a buck and will feed my family two dinners.
    1. Muzzle Controll: Always point in a safe direction
    2. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    3. Keep it unloaded until ready to use.
    4. Know your target and what is beyond.

There is nothing so rewarding as to make people realize that they are worthwhile in this world.

Member #
    Liked
    2110 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mingaa View Post
    You hit it with the whole chicken - oven roasted chicken is too often forgotten. Rub with olive oil and herbs - garlic powder etc. and 350 for about n hour - yum.

Some say an internal temp of 180 is best. I pull it at 170 (meat thermometer in the deep meat of the thigh AND breast) and rest it for 15 minutes on a platter. It will reach 180 sitting there AND cut much easier!

Some fuss and baste while cooking. Put foil tents on and off. I have really good luck just leaving it the heck alone. Want a bit crispier skin? Start at 450 degrees then drop to 350 when the bird goes in. Easy peasy!

Toss in small taters, onions and carrots (any veg really - late if they are more delicate). Let em cook in the drippings. Roasting concentrates the flavor! We like beets (not everyone does though).

This will make 4 or more good meals. If you get tired of it cold - toss it in doctored up Ramen as long as you are talking cheap. The spice packets are okay but my rack is better - I'll add curry powder and stir in a beaten egg as a thickener.

Both of the above can be never the same twice.

I didn't read any of your post i just saw that chicken and the mouth started watering now i'll go back and read it. Thanks..
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

North Carolina Concealed Carry Association Founding Member
    NRA Life Member
    M.A.I.T '05
    Team Buds
    Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 85SS .38
    , Glock 43, Glock 19, S&W M&P FS 9mm, S&W SD9VE, SIG P320 9mm, Beretta 950BS .25acp, Tisas M1911A1 .45acp, RIA M200 .38, Hipoint JCP .40cal, Tanfoglio GT 27 .25acp, Zigana 9mm, Chiappa M9 Tactical .40 cal, Mauser K98 7.92, Winchester model 69, ASI Tactical 12 GA.

[SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links