Yes, I broke the "rules" and it turned out great.
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By hombre243
  • 2 Post By scoutfish
  • 2 Post By Peacemakr40

Thread: Yes, I broke the "rules" and it turned out great.

Member #
    Liked
    13076 times

Yes, I broke the "rules" and it turned out great.

SWMBO wanted me to share with you how I did our turkey this year because I didn't pay attention to anyone and did it my way and the results were, according to her, "terrific".

We started with a 10# breast (since there were only 3 of us) completely thawed. Most instructions are all about guessing the proper temperature and time for your bird, popping it in the oven and letting it go. Sometimes there is a cover/uncover thing going on. I understand the food safety perspective and take it seriously, but a couple of years ago they invented this thing called a "meat thermometer" a novel little device that many apparently haven't discovered. After a meal once, cooked by a pedantic cook of good intentions, in which the bird was blessed with one of those stupid plastic "Pop up" thermometers that failed, I investigated different methods of avoiding "Baked turkey jerky"

OK simply using my own idea, I buttered under the skin all over with my favorite mixture of spices and put it in the oven in a pan, tightly covered with foil, at 350 for 45 minutes. I uncovered it and cranked the heat up to 425 and monitored until the skin was almost perfectly golden, about 1/2 hr. I then turned it back down to 350 and monitored with the thermometer until I was satisfied with the internal temperature.

My theory is, that by heating the oven and the bird with the butter and spice combination it gives the butter the chance to soak in. Covering it keeps the moisture in. Then uncovering and raising the temp avoids the syndrome of trying to brown the bird at the end and ending up with an over cooked bird or done right without a crisp skin. Dropping the temp back down allows it to finish cooking without drying out.

No big deal really just a little creativity.
    I am beginning to think the "Miss Universe Pagent" is rigged. Have you noticed that all of the winners are from Earth ?

"Oh Bother", said Pooh, as he punched the magazine release.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    26969 times
    Apart from the last part...thats how I always used to cook my turkeys. Taught by my SIL a grad of Cordon Bleu in Paris Cover first, then when about 10 degrees short of cooked. Uncover and brown.
    Now I do turkeys, and the Christmas ham, in a countertop oven, with about 1/2" of chicken stock in the bottom. When about 5 degrees short of cooked, I put in the regular oven to brown.

Bought the countertop oven after one Thanksgiving, when the reg oven element burnt out.

On the ship, they used to do 400 turkeys at a time, set oven temperature, set length of time. If a passenger wanted brown skin....they would put it under a grill.
    Taking this country back....one job at a time!

In memory of BUTT. Thanks for, your wisdom, your humor and your willingness to pass it on. You ARE missed.

YES, I am a "bean people" !

Member #
    Liked
    6117 times
    Quote Originally Posted by leftcoastrebel View Post
    SWMBO wanted me to share with you how I did our turkey this year because I didn't pay attention to anyone and did it my way and the results were, according to her, "terrific".

We started with a 10# breast (since there were only 3 of us) completely thawed. Most instructions are all about guessing the proper temperature and time for your bird, popping it in the oven and letting it go. Sometimes there is a cover/uncover thing going on. I understand the food safety perspective and take it seriously, but a couple of years ago they invented this thing called a "meat thermometer" a novel little device that many apparently haven't discovered. After a meal once, cooked by a pedantic cook of good intentions, in which the bird was blessed with one of those stupid plastic "Pop up" thermometers that failed, I investigated different methods of avoiding "Baked turkey jerky"

OK simply using my own idea, I buttered under the skin all over with my favorite mixture of spices and put it in the oven in a pan, tightly covered with foil, at 350 for 45 minutes. I uncovered it and cranked the heat up to 425 and monitored until the skin was almost perfectly golden, about 1/2 hr. I then turned it back down to 350 and monitored with the thermometer until I was satisfied with the internal temperature.

My theory is, that by heating the oven and the bird with the butter and spice combination it gives the butter the chance to soak in. Covering it keeps the moisture in. Then uncovering and raising the temp avoids the syndrome of trying to brown the bird at the end and ending up with an over cooked bird or done right without a crisp skin. Dropping the temp back down allows it to finish cooking without drying out.

No big deal really just a little creativity.
    I got a meat thermometer for measuring temps as the meat cooks...leave the thermometer probe in, with the meter outside the oven (smoker or outdoor cooker). It works great and the temp can be monitored without opening the oven door or lid, whichever you use.
    rodfair likes this.
    hombre

Never forget...9/11/01

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10227 times
    I use one of them there thermo meters things too. I only need to remember 3 temps:

Fresh pork, cured pork, and poultry ( AKA - turkey).

Haven had a raw one or over cooked one yet.
    rodfair and leftcoastrebel like this.
    "A constitution defines and limits the powers of the government it creates. It therefore follows, as a natural and also a logical result, that the governmental exercise of any power not authorized by the constitution is an assumed power, and therefore illegal."
    --Thomas Paine, Constitutions, Governments, and Charters, 1805

Member #
    Liked
    21334 times
    We smoked our first turkey this year (and second one as there were no leftovers) and the meat thermometer is invaluable. When Oven roasting a turkey, we seal off the vents of the oven and preheat it to 500. cook for 1 hr per 15 lbs, turn off the oven and walk away for 8 hours. If anyone opens the door, you will have to at least taze them for potentially killing everyone. After 8 hours it comes out perfect every time. it violates every rule of cooking but after 16 years of turkeys, I'm not dead yet.
    rodfair and leftcoastrebel like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links