Why masks work
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why masks work

Member #
    Liked
    4946 times

Why masks work

There's a lot of different topics going on where people have discussed the pros and cons to wearing a mask during this pandemic and their effectiveness (or lack there of depending on your level of lunacy) in slowing the spread of this virus. I thought I would start one specifically to discuss this issue however, especially in light of our country continuing to lead the way in displaying to the world what not to do, as well as the virus being on the rise once again and consequently the number of infected, hospitalized, and dying. We can argue the specifics of those numbers until the sun burns out, but there can be no argument about the numbers rising, and there most certainly should not be an argument in regards to the effectiveness of mask usage.

A lot of people have used the fact that other countries didn't shutdown to the degree that we did and had much better results in regards to virus spread. That is correct. What seems to be overlooked is the fact that in these countries mask usage was much greater than ours on average.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7075024/m...AIU0S45J9wSKOE

Also, the science behind wearing a mask has been around long before any of us were even born. They've worked that long, and the science behind them is now much better understood. No, they are not "perfect", but if they can stop majority of the droplets that the virus ride on to exit your body, and everyone out in public is wearing them, that's a reduction in spread. See how that works? And with that reduced spread comes the obvious benefits of reduced ill, reduced hospitalized, and reduced dead. Had we managed to accept that fact, and worked together and accordingly, we wouldn't be arguing right now about schools re-opening, sports, the economy, and the other multitude of factors that have kept us from returning to a much better sense of normalcy. It's not too late though, because none of that stuff is going to happen as it should until we can dramatically lower the spread of this virus, and our best chance and least damaging to our country way of doing that right now, is with widespread mask usage.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    25972 times
    OK? So a mask can block a sneeze or cough. That is not really a revelation.

The issue is that asymptomatic people are not coughing and sneezing. If they happen to be infected and able to spread it, which has not been proven BTW, they will not be shedding virus in droplet form (ie snot). The virus they would be shedding would be individual viral particles, also called dry shedding.

Those individual viral particles are invisible to the naked eye and can sail right through ALL masks except the respirator types that look like complex gas masks.

So, if you are snotting, sneezing and couging, you should either stay home or wear a mask and go to the Doctor!

If you are not doing the above, you should not be required to wear a mask as it would not do anything anyway.

And, if you happen to have to sneeze or cough and you are not wearing your mask, do it into the crook of your elbow. In other words, cover your face at that point.

I get a kick out of those that are making the videos like the ones above. They show a sneeze or cough and the spray from it. What they do not show is the individual microscopic particles that were unhindered and sailed right on through that mask. Hint, you need an electron microscope to see the ones in the virus size range.

But, masks make people FEEL better so there is that.

Keeping away from crowds and keeping ones distance is far more effective than a mask.

Also, when you wear a mask, and you are not doing it properly I can bet, you are actually putting yourself more at risk. Masks were designed for semi-sterile environments where one washes their hands before donning the mask. They then remove and dispose of the mask using the procedure that is proper for the specific mask they are wearing. They then wash their hands again.

But, for some reason, people have been led to believe that wearing a mask in Wal-Mart, putting it on right at the door and removing it to shove in their pocket upon exiting somehow helps. It don't. You just contaminated everything if anything happens to be on the surface of that mask. Your hands, that you are now touching your face with or eating your fries, are contaminated. Oh, and that itch you just scratched on your nose allowed whatever was on your mask to get in too. When you take the mask out of your pocket, everything it has touched is contaminated.

If by chance you managed to remove your mask and hung it up, it will slowly dry from the moisture in your breath. As it drys, it releases any viruses or other contaminates that are in it. If you put it back on, you will be breathing those in. This is why health professionals don a new mask for each patient and each time they leave a contaminated room.

I can go in to much more detail if you wish. I was the Infection Control Officer in my unit for about 5 years. I updated the books and conducted training on the issues, especially with masks and PPE. As such, I went to school for the issue and received yearly updated training.

But, they have let this horse out of the barn and now they have to run with it, because we know the government NEVER says that they were wrong.
    CaptainMorgan and 45 Forever like this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4146 times
    Interesting on how masks are now, all of a sudden, super effective against this type of virus. I find it fascinating how during the SARS outbreak and the H1N1 outbreak the CDC didn't recommend them and had no indication they were effective at all, and continuing on up through this year the all-knowing Dr. Fauci also agreed during the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak the masks didn't do anything. Then, miraculously, social media and others wanted desperately to be able to do something and prove they cared more than others, and Dr. Fauci did a 180 on his opinion.

I'm still looking for that WHO, CDC, FBI, Google, Twitter, and Instagram study that Dr. Fauci read that change his opinion on mask wearing. [crickets]

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    25212 times
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 18
Size:  33.4 KB
    There are only two options as I see it.
    Either I'm right, or there is a sinister
    conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Member #
    Liked
    5822 times
    Zen, I think you are a sleeper agent for the left! Your posts make me wonder how you missed the indoctrination session against guns? Haha

Masks say on the pack they aren't effective against viruses so there is that.
    https://www.rcreader.com/commentary/...-social-policy.
    Interesting study.
    Yes we can find studies proving our side as well, there are also older ones about the effectiveness of them. Funny how most of the ones for them are really recent....kinda convenient....borderline conspiracy!

Member #
    Liked
    34842 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    OK? So a mask can block a sneeze or cough. That is not really a revelation.

The issue is that asymptomatic people are not coughing and sneezing. If they happen to be infected and able to spread it, which has not been proven BTW, they will not be shedding virus in droplet form (ie snot). The virus they would be shedding would be individual viral particles, also called dry shedding.
    No one exhales dry air. Even without coughing or sneezing, an infected person isn't going to let out single viruses.

As for Rickenbacher's post, the answer is simple; stupid politicians who care more about criminals than the well being of the public. If you think the actions of those politicians proves anything about masks, you're kidding yourself.
    brojohn, Zen Ape and Nick1946 like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    25212 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    Zen, I think you are a sleeper agent for the left! Your posts make me wonder how you missed the indoctrination session against guns? Haha

Interesting study.
    Yes we can find studies proving our side as well, there are also older ones about the effectiveness of them. Funny how most of the ones for them are really recent....kinda convenient....borderline conspiracy!
    I've found a lot of articles about the lack of effectiveness or the outright dangers of wearing masks.
    Most are written by doctors and explain in plain english why they think how they do about this.
    Most of them never reach the light of day because the MSN will never print or broadcast any of it and
    will even castigate them for speaking out..
    But the conspiracy theories and the pseudo science tossed about in forums is fairly entertaining,
    which caused me to buy a year's supply of popcorn from Amazon. I'm all set.

https://www.technocracy.news/blayloc...o-the-healthy/
    CaptainMorgan and RScottie like this.
    There are only two options as I see it.
    Either I'm right, or there is a sinister
    conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Member #
    Liked
    5218 times
    You might has well save your time and go shooting. You are posing a logical response to an emotional reaction, and I have found that emotion is immune to logic. Like when your acid reflux kicks in and you feel like you're having a heart attack. Your brain logically knows that's not what's happening but your fear of dying causes the physical responses associated with it until the symptoms pass.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    2742 times
    Not many are debating mask effectiveness. They're debating MANDATES. It should be a choice, not a government edict.

Member #
    Liked
    4946 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post

Interesting study.
    The fact that I can be accused of being a "sleeper agent for the left" when trying to display the effectiveness of masks given all that we know about masks and the success by comparison of countries that used them far more than us tells me that NotSo must be speaking to me, and that logic, reason, and all rational thought has now completely and irrevocably taken a back seat to political leanings. God help us all. Think I should indeed go shooting as recommended, as from the sounds of it my guns are potentially going to be far more effective in my survival in the coming months than my small collection of masks unfortunately. China may have eaten bats to set this whole thing off, but we've got the stuff that comes out of bats in the heads of far too many right here in the good old US. Good luck.
    unclenunzie and Nick1946 like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links