The mask mandate.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree187Likes

Thread: The mask mandate.

Member #
    Liked
    1306 times

The mask mandate.

Whose state has it? Whose lucky enough to have police chiefs, and sheriffs refusing to enforce it. What do you think about it. To me it's not about the mask. It's about what it represents.
    Speed doesn't kill you. It's the sudden stop. That's what gets you.

Member #
    Liked
    35283 times
    The Santa Fe city council passed a law requiring masks in public. I have no problem with it at all. I believe it makes sense, and every health care professional (doctors and nurses, I'm not talking medical coders here) I know of either party agrees. Politicizing this doesn't make sense unless the politicians get stupid.

Example; I've heard rumors that our governor has made masks mandatory even while exercising alone, outdoors. That's idiotic, and I won't do it. But I'm not a jogger, so it doesn't mean much.

So I'll wear a mask when I'm in a store, or elsewhere near strangers. But you'll also see me pull it down now and then when no one is within 6-10'. And if I'm outdoors, in my car alone, etc., I'm not wearing one.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    36473 times
    Odie mandated masks here in PA. I hear that on Monday, he's gonna' mandate that everyone wear a clove of garlic around their neck to ward off vampires.
    JimmyA, darbo, bigC and 2 others like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Lifetime member of FOOTSS (Fraternal Order Of The Sore Shoulder).

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2854 times
    I'm not convinced that masking makes any difference. BUT... my wife is 65 with diabetes (type 2), two leaky heart valves, and just had a stent placed in her heart. I mask up as a precaution for her safety. Even If masks do no good, I'm taking precautions for her sake. I honestly don't give a fat rat's posterior what anyone else thinks about it.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46834 times
    Masks are about respect for others. No conspiracy, no infringement, just respect. Some people don't get that.

Somewhat akin to why I use toilet paper and take showers.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    23209 times
    The mask controversy is because there is conflicting information about masks and social distancing. If masks work then you can reopen the country completely provided you mandate masks via private business. If they do not work, you can control occupancies and what business can open and which can't. This is the conflict. Both policies are being mandated which directly oppose each other. So which mandate do you follow? Do 1 and you're in violation of the other. This is the result of politics and not the science controlling policy.
    darbo, Nick1946 and mcleod55 like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    7217 times
    Well in my case I will wear the mask, I am almost 83 and also a diabetic, so if the mask will keep me from getting the virus. It is a small price to pay.

Member #
    Liked
    35283 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    The mask controversy is because there is conflicting information about masks and social distancing. If masks work then you can reopen the country completely provided you mandate masks via private business. If they do not work, you can control occupancies and what business can open and which can't.
    Sorry, little in life and almost nothing in matters of public health is so cut and dried.

It's not a matter of "masks work" or "masks don't work." It's like airbags; they help. There will still be bad outcomes with them, but there will be more without them.

And our sensationalist, everything we need to understand must fit on a bumper sticker media doesn't help either. Some say they were originally saying "don't wear masks, they don't help." I remember hearing "not sure it's worth it at this time, save the masks for the medical workers." Understanding requires more subtlety than some (not directed at you, Peacemakr40) seem interested in seeking.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    3430 times
    Your mask is not about protecting you, it's about protecting others from you. Your mask actually does nothing for you, nor prevents you from getting sick. There are numerous side effects to wearing a mask.

When it is mandated, it is on the border of infringement. When you have COPD, like I do, I sometimes get dizzy wearing a mask when working or strenuous movement.

Maloy

The two potential side effects that have already been acknowledged are:

(1) Wearing a face mask may give a false sense of security and make people adopt a reduction in compliance with other infection control measures, including social distancing and hands washing.[3]

(2) Inappropriate use of face mask: people must not touch their masks, must change their single-use masks frequently or wash them regularly, dispose them correctly and adopt other management measures, otherwise their risks and those of others may increase.[3,4]

(3) The quality and the volume of speech between two people wearing masks is considerably compromised and they may unconsciously come closer. While one may be trained to counteract side effect n.1, this side effect may be more difficult to tackle.

(4) Wearing a face mask makes the exhaled air go into the eyes. This generates an uncomfortable feeling and an impulse to touch your eyes. If your hands are contaminated, you are infecting yourself.

(5) Face masks make breathing more difficult. For people with COPD, face masks are in fact intolerable to wear as they worsen their breathlessness.[5] Moreover, a fraction of carbon dioxide previously exhaled is inhaled at each respiratory cycle. Those two phenomena increase breathing frequency and deepness, and hence they increase the amount of inhaled and exhaled air. This may worsen the burden of covid-19 if infected people wearing masks spread more contaminated air. This may also worsen the clinical condition of infected people if the enhanced breathing pushes the viral load down into their lungs.

(5B) The effects described at point 5 are amplified if face masks are heavily contaminated (see point 2)

(6) While impeding person-to-person transmission is key to limiting the outbreak, so far little importance has been given to the events taking place after a transmission has happened, when innate immunity plays a crucial role. The main purpose of the innate immune response is to immediately prevent the spread and movement of foreign pathogens throughout the body.[6] The innate immunity’s efficacy is highly dependent on the viral load. If face masks determine a humid habitat where the SARS-CoV-2 can remain active due to the water vapour continuously provided by breathing and captured by the mask fabric, they determine an increase in viral load and therefore they can cause a defeat of the innate immunity and an increase in infections. This phenomenon may also interact with and enhance previous points.

In conclusion, as opposed to Greenhalgh et al., we believe that the context of the current covid-19 pandemic is very different from that of the “parachutes for jumping out of aeroplanes”,

[7] in which the dynamics of harm and prevention are easy to define and even to quantify without the need of research studies. It is necessary to quantify the complex interactions that may well be operating between positive and negative effects of wearing surgical masks at population level. It is not time to act without evidence.
    References
    1 Greenhalgh T, Schmid MB, Czypionka T, et al. Face masks for the public during the covid-19 crisis. BMJ 2020;:m1435. doi:10.1136/bmj.m1435
    2 Vu YA, London WM, Vu YA, et al. Precautionary Principle. 2013;:9780199756797—0046. doi:10.1093/obo/9780199756797-0046
    3 Advice on the use of masks in the community, during home care and in healthcare settings in the context of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. https://www.who.int/publications-detail/advice-on-the-use-of-masks-in-th...(2019-ncov)-outbreak (accessed 18 Apr 2020).
    4 &nbspesai AN, Aronoff DM. Masks and Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Published Online First: 17 April 2020. doi:10.1001/jama.2020.6437
    5 Kyung SY, Kim Y, Hwang H, et al. Risks of N95 Face Mask Use in Subjects With COPD. Respir Care 2020;:respcare.06713. doi:10.4187/respcare.06713
    6 Chen Y, Zhou Z, Min W. Mitochondria, Oxidative Stress and Innate Immunity. Front Physiol 2018;9:1487. doi:10.3389/fphys.2018.01487
    7 Potts M, Prata N, Walsh J, et al. Parachute approach to evidence based medicine. BMJ 2006;333:701—3. doi:10.1136/bmj.333.7570.701
    Rotorflyr and RScottie like this.

Member #
    Liked
    36473 times
    If it doesn't say ShamWow on it..............

....it ain't a mask.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rotorflyr likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Lifetime member of FOOTSS (Fraternal Order Of The Sore Shoulder).

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links