Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Paying for goods in a COVID-19 world

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33581 times

Paying for goods in a COVID-19 world

I'm usually the one that goes and buys groceries, food, whatever needs to be bought, and I've kinda come up with my own pass/fail system for paying my bill. Basically, if I have to touch the keypad at the register for any reason, it's a FAIL. I go to Kroger and Walmart a lot. The first thing it asks you when you put your card in is, do you want cash back. You have to touch the keypad to say yes or no. FAIL. You also have to put your PIN number in, which would be a FAIL if it hadn't already done so. Tom Thumb is similar, but their machines have the ability to tap your card and it will read it, without touching anything. But, they messed up because you still have to touch the screen for your PIN code. FAIL.

Look, I'm not exactly a germophobe. Well, maybe I am. The older I've gotten, the more I don't like touching things, then this virus made me worse. If I go into a store for a few things, bypass the buggy, grab my items, go to the register, and do all of that without touching anything but the stuff I'm buying, then have to touch their grungy keypad, it pisses me off. So far, the only people I've given a PASS to is Chick-Fil-A. You order, they hold the swiper where you can swipe your card, it clears, no PIN required, no signature required, my card goes right back into my wallet and I drive forward and get my food. Easy peasy, and no contact. If they can do it, then everywhere else could do it too, if they wanted to.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety and I need to relax.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3367 times
    You been taking lessons from NT?

Maloy
    texastaurusguy and jwc007 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29715 times
    It's hard to avoid touching things whether it's a keypad, shopping cart or whatever, so I keep hand sanitizer in my cars and as soon as I leave a store I use it.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33581 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    It's hard to avoid touching things whether it's a keypad, shopping cart or whatever, so I keep hand sanitizer in my cars and as soon as I leave a store I use it.
    Me too. I go through hand sanitizer faster than a sailor goes through a case of beer. I personally think that is the key, instead of wearing a mask.
    BigBlue and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

Member #
    Liked
    241 times
    I agree about keypads. Think about getting one of those brass/copper key ring things that let you press buttons and screens with it. I've stopped using my finger tips to press things, I use by knuckles now.
    texastaurusguy likes this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    12480 times
    I have become a germaphobe. Before leaving house, I use an 75% alcohol purell on hands/face area. Then before I leave my truck to go into the store, put on gloves and a mask. Then after putting stuff in truck, I take gloves and mask off, and do the Purell thing again. Then once again after putting groceries etc.. away.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    2859 times
    I carry sanitizer on me and in my truck. I touch it and hands get sanitized or I sanitize it before I touch it. I've came a long way in 4 months.
    Hang together or Hang seperately

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4206 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    I'm usually the one that goes and buys groceries, food, whatever needs to be bought, and I've kinda come up with my own pass/fail system for paying my bill. Basically, if I have to touch the keypad at the register for any reason, it's a FAIL. I go to Kroger and Walmart a lot. The first thing it asks you when you put your card in is, do you want cash back. You have to touch the keypad to say yes or no. FAIL. You also have to put your PIN number in, which would be a FAIL if it hadn't already done so. Tom Thumb is similar, but their machines have the ability to tap your card and it will read it, without touching anything. But, they messed up because you still have to touch the screen for your PIN code. FAIL.

Look, I'm not exactly a germophobe. Well, maybe I am. The older I've gotten, the more I don't like touching things, then this virus made me worse. If I go into a store for a few things, bypass the buggy, grab my items, go to the register, and do all of that without touching anything but the stuff I'm buying, then have to touch their grungy keypad, it pisses me off. So far, the only people I've given a PASS to is Chick-Fil-A. You order, they hold the swiper where you can swipe your card, it clears, no PIN required, no signature required, my card goes right back into my wallet and I drive forward and get my food. Easy peasy, and no contact. If they can do it, then everywhere else could do it too, if they wanted to.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety and I need to relax.
    **CONFIRMED**

You are old and crotchety, but you're right. My crazy observation is the clerks that want to rub fingers when they hand you your receipt/card/merchandise. You'd think they could grab an edge, but for some reason they like to grab the entire object so you can't retrieve it without playing handsie!

Member #
    Liked
    5229 times
    I saw a store that had a large box of Q-Tips and signage that directed users to use one to operate the keypad.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33581 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    I saw a store that had a large box of Q-Tips and signage that directed users to use one to operate the keypad.
    I haven't seen that yet. I didn't know a q-tip would work. I'll have to remember that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links