Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: And Yet Another Unforeseen Side Effect

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29201 times

And Yet Another Unforeseen Side Effect

As I'm sure you have heard the elderly are taking a real hit from this virus, especially in senior living facilities and as a result these facilities have been on lockdown with no visitors allowed. Not only can they not have visitors, but they are kept isolated in their rooms to prevent the virus from spreading. One of the main ways to help prevent or at least keep Alzheimer's at bay to be mentally active. In homes like these that usually would mean interaction with visitors and/or your fellow residents along with planned activities. However even their usual activities and church services have all been cancelled. In the last two months of isolation, I have noticed a very sharp decline in my 93 year old Mother's mental faculties. She has good days and bad days, but more bad than good lately. She can't remember the names of common things, never knows what time it is, numbers don't seem to have any meaning, she doesn't remember eating or taking her meds, has a loss of taste and appetite and can't perform simple functions like answering her phone or even feeding herself. Unfortunately I've seen many of these signs before, having gone through this with my Dad before he passed, and I'll tell you there's no joy in seeing my Mom now developing it.
    rodfair and Stroker like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times
    Will keep you and your family in my thoughts, this has to be very hard, I could not imagine.
    BigBlue likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    182 times
    I know just what you're saying, cause I see my ant of 90yr 2 times a week . In two mo's she has gone from walking to bed ridden from lack of activity .
    I am only allowed to stand outside with a window open about 6 inches to talk to her and hoping that she is coherent enough to talk back .
    Covid 19 is taking it's toll in many ways
    BigBlue likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5727 times
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom!
    It is unfortunate that the powers that decided this shutdown would have many unintended consequences that are likely to take as bad a toll as the virus!
    BigBlue likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4844 times
    Best wishes to you and yours BigBlue, and I mean that. No one should have to go through what your mother is, nor what you are. I've seen it happen to a couple family members as well, and the reality of the situation we currently find ourselves in only magnifies these kinds of problems. As if they needed any magnification.
    BigBlue likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    9634 times
    In my prayers for your whole family BigBlue ! I see it with my Mom who was the person who never forgot a birthday etc. but now has trouble remembering simple things ! It is a terrible disease and hard on the entire family !
    BigBlue likes this.
    "This is not a world in which one can turn the other cheek. Doing so does not avoid violence, but rather encourages it. The bad guys threaten, but they do not seem to want to get hurt. They should be taught that their presumed victim is more dangerous than they are. This is not a matter of weapons, but of will."

- Jeff Cooper, April 2005

Member #
    Liked
    2662 times
    I wonder if it is so "unintended." The elderly generally vote to the right and are expensive for the government. Cuomo in NY put infected patients back in the nursing homes, even going so far as to send the homes body bags. Medical professionals are not doing routine visits, and many older people need to see a doctor several times a year. My paranoid brain wonders if all this is not intentional.

Member #
    Liked
    20541 times
    You and your family are in my thoughts. I hope things get better soon.
    BigBlue likes this.

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    7792 times
    My assisted living facility is not allowing visitors, but they are not confined to their rooms and activities still are
    going on daily, sanitizing 3 times per shift. When work is done for the day staff goes home and stay's there.
    BigBlue, darbo and WoodyUSSLUCE like this.
    There are "four boxes" that can be employed to resist the downfall of America, the ballot box, the soap box, the jury box and, lastly, the ammo box.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45474 times
    Two awful things, both the Alzheimer's and the isolation mandated by the virus. Prayers for your Mom and this lockdown ends sooner than later and that some mental acuity recovery can be seen.

For folks in this situation, my MIL is in a memory care facility in Door County and they have done the same protocols of dining in the rooms, no visitors and so on. They have instituted a virtual meeting program where once per week the attendants connect to a video chat on a tablet and my wife and her sisters can get linked in so they can have a group visit. If you and the other folks in this same situation don't have this, maybe it could be suggested to the institution.
    BigBlue likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links