Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Texas starting to open back up for business Friday

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33353 times

Texas starting to open back up for business Friday

In case you missed it. Gov. Abbott is opening retail, restaurants, most anything except gyms, hair salons or barber shops, that kind of thing....at 25% capacity to start with. After that, he will open up more within a couple of weeks, keeping an eye on the numbers and making sure we don't have a spike going on. He continually emphasized the need for social distancing, and recommended wearing masks, although it's not a requirement.

I think Gov. Abbott has struck a pretty good balance so far, of caution versus the need to open the economy back up. There will be no cure for this thing until fall of 2021 at the earliest, when they develop a vaccine, so we're going to have to figure out a way to exist with this thing in the background of our lives, changing our habits to be more careful, taking responsibility for ourselves just like we do with protecting our loved ones and our property. Its on us, and we'll have to live this way until we're all vaccinated and then we can worry about the next big thing that happens, I guess.

I'm not sure how businesses can profit though, running at 25% customer capacity. If you own a 100 seat restaurant, and can only seat 25 people, wouldn't you be losing money by the hour? But, it has to be better than the alternative, which is to sit it out until 2021.
    BigBlue, kschilk, darbo and 2 others like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    29163 times
    Governor Wolf has issued guidelines for opening up Pennsylvania. He has the state divided into sectors and each sector will open up once the number of new virus cases reported in those sectors hits his goal. Golf courses are reopening this Friday, but distancing will still be in place. It's going to be interesting to see how each state handles this. I'd bet money that the states with Democratic governors will be the last to open up fully and will try their best to make it an election issue. With Wolf as Governor that doesn't bode well for us.
    kschilk, darbo and mwj999 like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member
    DADDD Member-Dads Against Daughters Dating Democrats

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” — George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    35795 times
    Glad to at least hear talk of some things opening up, even though it's just that...talk. I was talking about bigfoot this morning but he has yet to show up. As far as PA, recreation is all that I'm hearing about possibly being allowed, nothing in the way of other businesses which could actually operate safely with a full complement of staff and employees. Most businesses and I'd assume especially restaurants, likely can't even cover their daily operating costs at just 25%, I'd expect many to opt for remaining closed rather than run up their debts. The dems' political ambitions would be best served if they tried to sweep this whole thing under the rug, they own it entirely and I doubt many states with dem governors will ever see another one after this.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3842 times
    My wife and I are in the danger zone. I'd probably die and she'd almost certainly die. We enjoyed going to restaurants and movies, but she's also an excellent cook, and we have Hulu, Netflix, Amazon, and Disney, so there is no point risking death over a movie or a restaurant meal.

If there was a ready supply of N95 masks and rubbing alcohol, we could dare a bit more than going to Home Depot, Tom Thumb, and Bullet Trap, but with what we have to work with, we won't risk more than that. And there is no good reason why the United States of America can't put N95 masks and rubbing alcohol on the shelves.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    19999 times
    I think I am going to let Texas open up without me for the time being. A large number of owners are saying that the 25% occupancy cap will only create a deeper loss of doing business than doing curb side service. Even the movie theaters are saying they will not open until the middle of June.

I may have taken a different view back in my younger days, but pushing mid sixties I tend to be a bit more careful of health risk. I've done some stupid things in my past, but I also didn't get this old by being stupid.

Member #
    Liked
    6284 times
    God Bless Texas. 'Bout time. But jackwagon Dallas County Judge Clay 'Head' Jenkins is starting a news conference at 4pm local (right about now..) and has 'expressed concerns' about the Governors plan. Why doesn't Jackass Jenkins get his butt back in the Courtroom where he belongs rather than telling the folks of Dallas how to run their lives. Everyone knows wants to run for Governor so he should declare his candidacy and start spouting dumbass platitudes.
    twolfe55 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    22794 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chefduane View Post
    God Bless Texas. 'Bout time. But jackwagon Dallas County Judge Clay 'Head' Jenkins is starting a news conference at 4pm local (right about now..) and has 'expressed concerns' about the Governors plan. Why doesn't Jackass Jenkins get his butt back in the Courtroom where he belongs rather than telling the folks of Dallas how to run their lives. Everyone knows wants to run for Governor so he should declare his candidacy and start spouting dumbass platitudes.
    Governor Abbott specifically stated yesterday that mandates like that of Leroy Jenkins cannot be enforced as the Governor's order is supreme in the State of Texas. So any ordinances, rules, orders, etc. made by counties or municipalities cannot exceed the limitations Abbott put in place. This was a very targeted response to Jenkin's power trip. Rest assured, if Jenkins crosses that line, the Governor will see to it charges are brought against him or others who think like he does.

All in all we realize that unless businesses start doing business again, it won't matter how many people get sick or die. The economy will crash and it won't matter if Trump deposits a million dollars in everyone's account. there will be no place to spend it and no product to buy. Sorry to say but death is a real factor with Covid-19 but early reports indicate it may have been here since November of 2019. The morbidity rate of the virus is nowhere near as high as they initially believed it to be. I've already spelled out why in several other threads. Governor Abbott and by extension President Trump have a massive opportunity to start pushing self responsibility doctrine. Granted we live in a country where about half the population are mentally equivalent to Pigs in human clothing so Abbott is trying the hand holding approach. Let's see if it works.
    darbo, BigBlue, mwj999 and 2 others like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32602 times
    I just wanna hair cut and breakfast at Maria's! I'm transforming back into the biker look...but in grey. There is a barber out in the sticks on the back road to Columbus I just found out about. I might try that guy.
    Last edited by NativeTexan; 04-28-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    mwj999 and twolfe55 like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    32602 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacemakr40 View Post
    Governor Abbott specifically stated yesterday that mandates like that of Leroy Jenkins cannot be enforced as the Governor's order is supreme in the State of Texas. So any ordinances, rules, orders, etc. made by counties or municipalities cannot exceed the limitations Abbott put in place. This was a very targeted response to Jenkin's power trip. Rest assured, if Jenkins crosses that line, the Governor will see to it charges are brought against him or others who think like he does.

All in all we realize that unless businesses start doing business again, it won't matter how many people get sick or die. The economy will crash and it won't matter if Trump deposits a million dollars in everyone's account. there will be no place to spend it and no product to buy. Sorry to say but death is a real factor with Covid-19 but early reports indicate it may have been here since November of 2019. The morbidity rate of the virus is nowhere near as high as they initially believed it to be. I've already spelled out why in several other threads. Governor Abbott and by extension President Trump have a massive opportunity to start pushing self responsibility doctrine. Granted we live in a country where about half the population are mentally equivalent to Pigs in human clothing so Abbott is trying the hand holding approach. Let's see if it works.
    Harris County seems pretty miffed at county judge, Commandante Lena Hidalgo. But, she's hispanic. She'll be re-elected, I'm sure. Being hispanic is mas importante than the fact that she's Hitler reincarnate.
    mwj999, chefduane and BigBlue like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21702 times
    Meanwhile, here in New Mexico, our petite governor addressed the state (via press conference) last week and carefully explained (as in, talking to five year old children) how she was not going to give in to external pressure and was going to extend her lockdown orders until May 15, at which time she will reevaluate the numbers and decide what is best for the residents of New Mexico.

My wife and I are seriously considering moving out of state.
    chefduane, mwj999, darbo and 1 others like this.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links