So 40mph is the new 55mph..!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: So 40mph is the new 55mph..!!

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1327 times

So 40mph is the new 55mph..!!

Excuse my ignorance of your driving laws, here in GB it seems that 55mph is your 'go-to' speed limit.. Anyway I digress. Today our govt announced that there will be a 40mph speed limit imposed on ALL roads on the Island. Bit of an upset for the rich and very rich who live here, now they can't put pedal to the metal in their Ferrari's and McLaren's.

Although we do have the usual GB road speed laws, with the exception of 70mph on motorways ( like your Interstates), mainly because we don't have any motorways. But, thanks to the existence of the TT course, we do have some roads which are totally unrestricted as far as speed goes. Or.. went..!!

Not something I'm going to loose a lot of sleep over as I haven't driven a car since I left the Army... reason? just got bored with it.
    kruizer and kschilk like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21398 times
    Bummer about your isle's new speed limit. Your government sounds like a kill-joy.

I don't know about the eastern half of the USA, but here in the desert southwest of New Mexico and Arizona, the "go-to" speed limit on our interstate highways is 75 mph. Texas, I believe, has a maximum limit of 85 on certain highways. (Guaranteed - if I'm wrong about that Texas speed limit, I'll be corrected in very short order.)

Mind you, these are just posted speed limits. It's not uncommon to be passed occasionally by drivers well into triple-digit speeds.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35039 times
    This, because of Covid-19?
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1327 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    This, because of Covid-19?
    Yes Sir, indeed sir.. the reasoning behind this is that RTA'a (road traffic accidents) are likely to need medics on scene, treatment at hospital etc., all of which tie up EMT and doctors/nurses when they are needed for Covid-19 'duties'. Cut the speed limit, cut the chances of an accident. That's how 'they' perceive it.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35039 times
    Wow! Things are getting curiouser and curiouser.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3635 times
    Here in Kansas the maximum is 75 on Interstate highways. We have 70 and 65 on others.

By the way, it is good to see you rate your speed in MILES per hour, like God and the Queen intended. Not those pesky meters!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33071 times
    Right now, over here at least, there is enough fear being generated that people are pretty much playing ball with the restrictions and banishments to your own house. But....the longer this thing goes on, the thinner that is going to wear, and I suspect we have about 3-4 weeks of this before people start asking is this really necessary. Then, a couple of weeks after that, you'll probably see open defiance of the order in certain ways. It's hard to impose restrictions like this on a society that isn't used to being told what it can and can't do within their constitutional rights.
    DeltaBravoKS and chefduane like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    1152 times
    In Texas it's 75 on interstate highways 85 on toll roads, add 15 mph and that is what most traffic is doing.
    To the gun grabbers:
    What kind of malicious intent do You have towards Me that makes You fear the fact that I may have a firearm.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33071 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jspdrcrmach5 View Post
    In Texas it's 75 on interstate highways 85 on toll roads, add 15 mph and that is what most traffic is doing.
    Yeah, boy, unless they've changed it recently, once you get past Abilene going to El Paso, the speed limit cranks up to 85 and most everybody thinks they're driving on the Autobahn. Stay in the right hand lane if you're weak of heart.
    Jake3501 likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    3264 times
    I don't doubt you guys in Texas at what you say is your speed limit is, but from my experience on your roadways, either no one has reached it, yet, or everyone seems to be going for the land speed record.

Maloy
    texastaurusguy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links