Interesting article about Covid19..
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By CaptainMorgan
  • 5 Post By Zen Ape
  • 2 Post By CaptainMorgan
  • 2 Post By Zen Ape
  • 1 Post By CaptainMorgan
  • 1 Post By Flash60601

Thread: Interesting article about Covid19..

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times

Interesting article about Covid19..

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    Article makes interesting points especially since there is no way to keep everyone locked down for 14 days....let alone a year or 18 months.
    Personally, I think this quarantine is a fool's errand that will likely make the Great Depression be renamed the Mediocre Depression and is going to affect all the current students educations negatively!
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4990 times
    The problem with that article is that it seems to think we are trying to avoid getting infected by the virus altogether as a group, so that collectively weeks down the line we all raise our heads up and bam, get sick together. That's not what's happening here. What this does (that being what we and most other countries right now are doing) is put a governor on how many people are going to get sick at once, and slows what would have been enough to completely overwhelm our hospitals and thus leave people to die in far greater numbers, or extend that to a much more controllable number over a longer period of time. Social distancing is only going to do so much. People are still going out for necessities, people are still interacting with other people, people are still going to get sick. But, at a much more manageable level currently. Again, this is all about flattening that curve, so that we can buy time. Buy time for the emergency responders and the hospitals, buy time for perhaps some vaccine and magic bullet medicine. The same amount of people are ultimately going to get sick more than likely. Don't think because most of us are hiding out in our homes now that's not what's going to happen. News flash, I'm probably going to get sick, and if you're reading this, you probably are too. The difference is, if we can spread that out and better control the numbers, it's the difference between hundreds of thousands dead, or millions dead. And yes, this is going to ultimately over the course of this year kill hundreds of thousands of people world wide. No way around that one. But that's a whole lot better than millions upon millions, which is where we are headed if that 10-15% of people that require ventilation when they get ill can't get it, and they won't if we don't have enough to go around. There are people right now on Taurus.net that are going to be intimately familiar with a ventilator before this is over. But if they don't have that option... Well, we're going to be missing a whole lot of people around here.
    Last edited by Zen Ape; 03-25-2020 at 05:26 PM.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    How long does the quarantine last til things are manageable?
    The entire planet hasn't lost as many yet as die in the US alone in an average flu season....we don't quarantine for that.
    They can claim it will flatten the curve, Trump already took Fauci off speaking because he is saying this won't work either. All it is doing is delaying the inevitable as it kills the economy.
    I go to a variety of plants ...bottled water, bread, paper goods and they are all running full tilt to keep up with demand...what happens when they can't get the supplies they need to function cause critical spares fail ?
    What happens when the local meth head realizes he can steel a bread truck and make a mint selling it?
    They have never tried this before, o idea if it will really work. It is an unproven theory. Once quarantine is lifted it is more likely that you will have a sudden spike....unless this goes on for a year and if so....you'll see lots of people die and it won't be the virus....it will be beatings, stabbings, and shootings over necessities. Look to Venezuela for a primer!!
    We will be using our $1200 stimulus checks as toilet paper!
    WoodyUSSLUCE and Rotorflyr like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4990 times
    There's no good option here. Again I'll say, we are dealing with something that we haven't seen the likes of or anything that we can compare it to since 1918. If we all just go back to normal, it would be a WHOLE lot worse and a whole lot faster. I have to put my faith in the medical experts and computer model people at this point rather than gut feelings, hopeful talk, "The Lord won't allow this to happen" (have you people read history?) and people that would wipe out half of their family to keep their 401K intact because money is their true God. We are in uncharted waters here. Personally I'm hoping that when it's my time to get rushed off to the hospital by guys looking like they just landed on the moon, they will have a bed and a ventilator for me. Knowing my history of lung trouble, I'm pretty certain that will be on the menu for me at some point. Everyone goes back to work tomorrow and pretends this isn't happening though, well, that might not be an option. My best option at that point might be to eat a bullet rather than spending days looking like a fish out of water waiting to take my last gasp. I think the stress of the situation isn't allowing some people to thoroughly think the problem through and do the math that can lead to a wiser course of action.
    loudviking and Flash60601 like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Member #
    Liked
    5863 times
    Sorry to hear that you feel that eating a bullet could be the answer, I hope it is more of a rhetorical statement than a factual one.

I really feel that for all the supposed expertise they are making a choice that is more harm than good. The choices have already led to panicked shoppers, goods and materials shortages. The media is driving lots of this with every statement being all gloom and doom.
    The experts dont know if it will work, but we will try it anyway.
    We shut down major areas of the country and economy for two weeks, then we extend it to four. The longer it goes on the more desperate people get, the worse the economy gets.
    After 4 weeks where the curve was supposed to be flattened we let the population back out...

The carriers of Covid19 are out moving about with no signs of the disease....but suddenly cases spike, and suddenly we are overwhelmed.
    In 4 weeks will we suddenly reverse the shortages of respirators, masks, and critical supplies? Doubtful...
    Computer models aren't very accurate....they haven't gotten climate change right over the last 30 years. I don't believe it can be accurate with the short period of time this disease has been around. Even Fauci states the disease is likely to come back in the fall and that chances of a vaccine in the near FCC future are not good. It is likely to be 20 months or more.
    I hope I am wrong and they are right, but logic says that what they are doing won't work. There are too many ways the quarantine can fail and the requirements for it to succeed are many!
    Rotorflyr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2273 times
    I was one of those "chicken-pox party kids". Back before World War Two began.

But seriously, this AIN'T chicken-pox - in severity, duration, or effect upon the afflicted. Oh, sure, old Doc Palmer was busier than normal in the village for a week, and soon we all were our rambunctious selves. But I'm with Zen Ape on this one. Let's mitigate a while longer ad see who does pull a rabbit out of the hat. With so many truly exceptional people working so tirelessly all over the globe, who knows what might pop up. Three weeks ago, whoda thunk a malaria drug, fer goodness sake, would have been even considered? Anecdotally already, we have more than a few successes with this and the other drug remedisvir (sp?)?

So I'll be happy to cocoon another month on the off-chance that things will improve. I'm 82, with coronary and lung issues (a few years ago I was nearly smothered in "GranCem" - ground, granulated blast-furnace slag, a known carcinogen, added to concrete to enhance its appearance and other properties and my lung x-rays look like a shot-gun pattern,) But I'm gonna stick around and see what develops, unless my Creator numbers my days less.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Sponsored Links