If Coronavirus Had Been Dubbed "Super Flu" Would The World Have Panicked? - Page 44
Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344
Like Tree643Likes

Thread: If Coronavirus Had Been Dubbed "Super Flu" Would The World Have Panicked?

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45284 times
    Past time to break up monopolies that inhibit our freedoms and liberties.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    4820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    Now that we're starting a new month with the virus, I just wanted to share some info I've been tracking.

February 1, there were 2,102 known cases and 259 deaths

March 1, there were 88,443 known cases and 3,041 deaths

April 1, there are 884,075 known cases and 44,216 deaths

Considering the unprecedented manner in which most countries shutdown and imposed strict social distancing on its citizens in order to combat this after realizing the full severity and potential death rate, I think it's safe to say that as bad as this is and is going to be, it could have been many times worse. The closest comparison that can be made is indeed, the Spanish Flu of 1918 which killed millions. That being said, I think it's beyond asinine at this point to think the world overreacted or to try and make comparisons with viruses that infect us yearly that we account for and can largely defend against. Even by vastly limiting its ability to multiply and spread (us) it's still on course to be significantly worse than the Swine Flu. Were we all still running about going business as usual, millions upon millions of deaths easily and I just don't see even with only several months of data to go off of how that can be disputed considering what we know about this virus.
    One month further along, and the numbers reflect the exponential growth potential of a pandemic in horrifying ways. As of today, May 1st, there are now 3,330,814 known cases, and 234,765 deaths world wide. An extremely large jump in a 30 day time period. As for the US, on April 1st we were at 4,317 deaths due to the virus, and today we are 63,913. The good news is the curve appears to have flattened and the numbers are slowly declining in the hardest hit areas, the bad news is there are still a number of areas going up, and many states are relaxing social distancing and closures in order to try and get things going again, which may indeed get things going again. Very much a wait and see, but just 3 months have proven this virus to be an absolute nightmare on many levels.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45284 times
    The fear was that there would not be enough hospital beds and equipment to handle the gigantic numbers of sick people. After spending billions of dollars on faulty projection buying those things which will never be used, we have seen how much we can trust data being fed into the experts. Heck, we can't even trust the data that is home grown because a profit incentive was built into the reporting of numbers at the same time as the main source of profit for the hospitals was mandated to be closed off.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...EeMO-JBpftdrwU

Here was the incentive:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...XZHYDYbwCyR-4Y

The continued and expanded testing, although it looks scary due to the numbers of infected people who are found, will prove that the mortality rate is much, much lower than many have been and continue to proclaim.
    45 Forever likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4820 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    The fear was that there would not be enough hospital beds and equipment to handle the gigantic numbers of sick people. After spending billions of dollars on faulty projection buying those things which will never be used, we have seen how much we can trust data being fed into the experts. Heck, we can't even trust the data that is home grown because a profit incentive was built into the reporting of numbers at the same time as the main source of profit for the hospitals was mandated to be closed off.

https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politic...EeMO-JBpftdrwU

Here was the incentive:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...XZHYDYbwCyR-4Y

The continued and expanded testing, although it looks scary due to the numbers of infected people who are found, will prove that the mortality rate is much, much lower than many have been and continue to proclaim.
    I remember many weeks back Ghost Horse stated that if our methods of flattening the curve were successful due to social distancing and closures, people would complain that the hospitals didn't get overrun like predictions stated and therefore our precautions were unnecessary. That guy is the second coming of Nostradamus because here we are...
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33354 times
    I remember many weeks back Ghost Horse stated that if our methods of flattening the curve were successful due to social distancing and closures, people would complain that the hospitals didn't get overrun like predictions stated and therefore our precautions were unnecessary. That guy is the second coming of Nostradamus because here we are...
    LOL yeah, funny how that works, kinda like Y2K when nothing happened and everybody (non-technical people, that is) were yammering that we wasted all that time and effort. Really? How do you figure? Could we not have prevented something bad from happening BECAUSE of all that work?
    GhostHorse likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    34608 times
    I'd rather be right about that than about discussions of the worst case scenarios.
    Zen Ape likes this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34424344

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links