If Coronavirus Had Been Dubbed "Super Flu" Would The World Have Panicked? - Page 41
Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast
Like Tree643Likes

Thread: If Coronavirus Had Been Dubbed "Super Flu" Would The World Have Panicked?

Member #
    Liked
    34141 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MadKaw View Post
    1. Depends on your averaging interval.
    2. It is obvious that behavior matters.
    3. People can get along without toilet paper.
    How about respirators? How about ICU beds? Those are the shortages that matter. People are talking about how to decide who gets on a respirator and who doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaShooter View Post
    I'm home now, as of just moments ago per my employer's health center, quarantined with a pronounced cough which developed over last 12 hrs or so ... No fever yet

we'll see where this goes

Hoping just a plain cold

I'm a bit high risk with asthma and age 65
    Our prayers are with you!
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    34141 times
    In other news, Italy's mortaility rate is over 10%. And we're in the #1 spot for number of cases.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    4675 times
    Quote Originally Posted by IowaShooter View Post
    I'm home now, as of just moments ago per my employer's health center, quarantined with a pronounced cough which developed over last 12 hrs or so ... No fever yet

we'll see where this goes

Hoping just a plain cold

I'm a bit high risk with asthma and age 65
    I'm curious if you have been given or recommended to be given the test? Normally because it looks like we still don't have enough tests to go around many areas are waiting for "pronounced" symptoms, like a cough with a fever and difficulty breathing. However, with your age and history of lung problems, I would like to think they would put you to the head of the line considering. Regardless though, you most certainly need to act like you have it (honestly we all should be acting this way now). Hoping the best for you, please keep us posted if there are any changes.
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3658 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen Ape View Post
    I'm curious if you have been given or recommended to be given the test? Normally because it looks like we still don't have enough tests to go around many areas are waiting for "pronounced" symptoms, like a cough with a fever and difficulty breathing. However, with your age and history of lung problems, I would like to think they would put you to the head of the line considering. Regardless though, you most certainly need to act like you have it (honestly we all should be acting this way now). Hoping the best for you, please keep us posted if there are any changes.
    This raises a question in my mind. To what end would be a test administration? If we are all supposed to isolate if we have symptoms, what would be the personal benefit of the test? I know the WHO and CDC like to have numbers and statistics so they like test results, but since there is no treatment (or so we've been led to believe) what does knowing you have it do? Sure, if there was difficulty breathing that required an E.R. visit, you'd go anyway and you'd report your symptoms.
    Smokewagon and BigBlue like this.

Member #
    Liked
    4675 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    This raises a question in my mind. To what end would be a test administration? If we are all supposed to isolate if we have symptoms, what would be the personal benefit of the test? I know the WHO and CDC like to have numbers and statistics so they like test results, but since there is no treatment (or so we've been led to believe) what does knowing you have it do? Sure, if there was difficulty breathing that required an E.R. visit, you'd go anyway and you'd report your symptoms.
    Well there's a number of things here, and I'm certainly no expert, but testing provides positives or negatives which can be applied in all manner of ways. Right now we have a shelter in place rule, but still allows us to go out for necessities. A positive test would bump that to an actual quarantine, as in you do not go out, you do not interact with other people. That's a huge bonus because think of all the people right now that have it, and yet are still going to the grocery store, still going to get the mail, still going out for walks and other such things. Another reason would be for better and more accurate numbers of where it's spreading the most, how it's spreading there, and this can make the difference to where supplies and help are most needed to statistical models that could help defend against or even prevent future outbreaks. Massive quarantine, testing and tracking is what is keeping many of the countries in Asia from looking like many of the European countries, and us for that matter as it very much looks like we are about to go fully Italy in just a handful of more days. Knowledge more than anything else is power against this virus, or any virus for that matter, and accurate numbers is a huge factor in that knowledge. I'm sure someone from the CDC could better expound upon my logic here and think of even more reasons that I can't, but what I do know is, testing is still VERY important.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge" - Stephen Hawking

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3658 times
    Well there's a number of things here, and I'm certainly no expert, but testing provides positives or negatives which can be applied in all manner of ways. Right now we have a shelter in place rule, but still allows us to go out for necessities. A positive test would bump that to an actual quarantine, as in you do not go out, you do not interact with other people. That's a huge bonus because think of all the people right now that have it, and yet are still going to the grocery store, still going to get the mail, still going out for walks and other such things. Another reason would be for better and more accurate numbers of where it's spreading the most, how it's spreading there, and this can make the difference to where supplies and help are most needed to statistical models that could help defend against or even prevent future outbreaks. Massive quarantine, testing and tracking is what is keeping many of the countries in Asia from looking like many of the European countries, and us for that matter as it very much looks like we are about to go fully Italy in just a handful of more days. Knowledge more than anything else is power against this virus, or any virus for that matter, and accurate numbers is a huge factor in that knowledge. I'm sure someone from the CDC could better expound upon my logic here and think of even more reasons that I can't, but what I do know is, testing is still VERY important.
    If you have the symptoms (regardless of the test) aren't you supposed to isolate yourself? I guess if you have the symptoms and test negative, you can freely move about society and infect others with whatever you have. That would be a personal benefit but a detriment to society.
    Jake3501 likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    4675 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    If you have the symptoms (regardless of the test) aren't you supposed to isolate yourself? I guess if you have the symptoms and test negative, you can freely move about society and infect others with whatever you have. That would be a personal benefit but a detriment to society.
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with the human species, but we always like to be optimistic and err on the side of "It can't happen to me", until it actually happens to them. I happen to know a number of people right now that are coughing, sniffly, congested, and just writing off symptoms as a cold, or allergies (and it certainly doesn't help that this is coinciding with allergy season). I can assure you there are millions out there right now doing the same thing. Because the list of "potential" symptoms are so lengthy, and all of them, some of them, or none of them can show up with you still being infected, that's not really the best self analysis and indicator to use. So what we are "supposed" to be doing, and what is the right thing to do, is far too often not what we wind up doing. Thus, confirmation and a tested positive result in our minds could alleviate that.
    loudviking likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3658 times
    I'm not sure if you're familiar with the human species, but we always like to be optimistic and err on the side of "It can't happen to me", until it actually happens to them. I happen to know a number of people right now that are coughing, sniffly, congested, and just writing off symptoms as a cold, or allergies (and it certainly doesn't help that this is coinciding with allergy season). I can assure you there are millions out there right now doing the same thing. Because the list of "potential" symptoms are so lengthy, and all of them, some of them, or none of them can show up with you still being infected, that's not really the best self analysis and indicator to use. So what we are "supposed" to be doing, and what is the right thing to do, is far too often not what we wind up doing. Thus, confirmation and a tested positive result in our minds could alleviate that.
    Yeah, I wasn't even commenting on the morality, just wondering what the benefit of a test is. Sure, if you're coughing and hacking with a fever and not staying at home, you'll be spreading it. But again, what would a test change? That person isn't going to go get tested. You're back in the same boat.

Still wondering what the benefit of testing is...

Member #
    Liked
    25869 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NativeTexan View Post
    Well, I live out in the country well away from people, haven't had to kill anyone, yet. I have freezers full of elk and venison. Haven't had to worry about the electricity, yet. Don't have windmills or solar panels if that happens. I've thought about sitting up on the county road where our private road turns off and shooting anyone who took the road that I didn't know, but I really don't think that's necessary at this point. Hope I'm right. Hate to kill somebody unless they're after my toilet paper or something.
    o
    My point was, if people are willing to beat each other over TP, what would they do for food?

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    21429 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RScottie View Post
    My point was, if people are willing to beat each other over TP, what would they do for food?
    And that is a very good question to ponder.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links