New IWB Holster
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New IWB Holster

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

New IWB Holster

Okay, so I had ordered a tuckable single clip "Brand X" holster a few weeks ago, and in the meantime I was carrying my 745 in a cheap Uncle Mike's IWB. It wouldn't stay put. With the single clip, the holster kept changing angles and sliding on my belt.

I ended up ordering a two-clip "C-TAC from comp-tac. It cost a lot more than I wanted to spend (about 50% more than the High Nooner), but, I had it within a week, it fits the gun perfectly, it's adjustable for cant and depth, it's tuckable, and it stay's put. My wife has to ask if I'm carrying. It doesn't print at all.

Nothing beats getting the right tool for the right task.

I know there are other manufacturers that make excellent two-clip holsters. I think if anyone is in the hunt for a good IWB, they should look closely at this type.

tman
    Proud, Service-Oriented, Rural LEO, or BADGED COWBOY

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

Re: New IWB Holster

I've used a CTAC daily for over two years. Keep an eye on the screws that hold the belt clips on, one of mine likes to loosen up every week or two. The kydex does take a little getting used to but after a week or three stopped bothering me (I started carrying with leather holsters).

The only way to easily spot a CTAC (or most other tuckable holsters) is to look for the clips over the belt. This can be minimized by having the belt the same color as the clips. Now, it the person is using one of the alternate styles of clip this becomes more difficult to impossible (think the velcro clips). Just something to keep in mind if you chose to carry somewhere there will be gun savy types who would frown on you carrying there.

A general comment as far a comfort and wearablity, in the summer of 2005 I helped my father move. That wonderful experience was over 15 hours. Not only did the holster not cause any issues I think it saved me from a nasty bruise on my hip (gun/holster took the hit, not me). Dad didn't think I could carry all day but it wasn't a problem. His girlfriend (at the time) was our only help and she never knew that I was carrying.

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Steelheart
    Keep an eye on the screws that hold the belt clips on, one of mine likes to loosen up every week or two.
    I was wondering about that. I haven't noticed any issues yet, but I did loosen the screw (just a bit) that controls how tightly the holster holds the gun. I'm thinking that a bit of the lighter loc-tite might be a good idea.

tman

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

That one has never given me any trouble. But all it would take is a tolerance to be off a little. Once you're used to the holster its easy to spot, just see if that rubber spacer is cylinder shaped (screw is loose) or is compressed a bit (screw is good). That's how I tell.

I will add that I liked that they included an allen wrench the right size with the holster (mine was stuck through a business card & thats where I keep it). Do they still do that?

Steelheart
    USCCA, NRA & GOA member http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ Basic Rifle Marksmanship with some neat history thrown in.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

They do, and with a hand written "Thanks" on the invoice. Great customer service!

They actually called to make sure that they had the model # right. They technically don't make a holster for the 745, but the inside had "111, 140, 145" etched into it...

Like I said, more than I wanted to spend, but I'm sure I'll forget what I paid for it if it holds up..

tman

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

If they made the CTAC with loops instead of clips I'd love them. I tried one, and they don't work with the Wilderness belts. In fact, none of the clip style holsters I've tried work with Wilderness belts. The belts are too thick for the clips to fit over them.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

Quote Originally Posted by Panthera Tigris
    If they made the CTAC with loops instead of clips I'd love them... The belts are too thick for the clips to fit over them.
    Maybe the velcro would work for you.

tman

Member #
    Liked
    51 times

The clips will not be reliable with the Wilderness belts. Another forum I'm on has a very knowledgeable individual who had to go to his back-up holster after his drawing his glock with the holster still attached during a class. Hence the reason I recommend a serious leather gunbelt.

I just took another look at the CompTac site. I'd just give them a call to see what they recommend. I'd think anything other than the standard clip COULD work. But I'd lean towards the velcro or the C-clip style.

Steelheart

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

i broke down and did the same, everyone sais the two clip system is the way to go, i have had real good luck w/ my uncle mikes, but this one is tuckable, which has been an issue in the past. i almost did the tucker we discussed a few weeks ago, but the wait and the money made me a procrastinator.
    God loves you........... yep even on them days

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I bought an Uncle Mike's Inside Pants holster while waiting for my leather holster to arrive. I did not like the vertical drop on it...So I cut off the plastic clip, raised it on the holster, put a 15% cant on the clip and re-sewed the clip...Know the holster rides a little lower and the grips are more under my flab for better concealment. BTW, takes forever to sew the clip on when you use needle/thread and have big hands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links