Having trouble with doctor writing letter for permit :/
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Having trouble with doctor writing letter for permit :/

Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Having trouble with doctor writing letter for permit :/

So I'm in the process of getting my ccw. I live in Indiana and one of the questions that were asked was if I've ever been treated for physiological or mental illness. Well I said yes because I have anxiety. I felt like this was the right thing to do. I just needed a letter from my docotor stating that I'm not a harm to myself or anyway one else ect. It's been 3 weeks and no letter no nothing. They will not call me back or help me out. They just say they will tell his nerds and him and they will call me back. I've even talked to them in person twice with no luck. I don't know if my dr is anti gun or what. But if he is that's not my problem. I don't know what else to do. I wanted to do the right thing in being honest. On in.gov it states if I can't get a letter from my health care provider I can write a letter myself stating why I'm writing the letter and that I'm not a danger ect. Well I did that also and they say it has to be from a doctor. I got a call from my local police department telling me everything has been approved, that they just need a letter from my doctor. I don't know what else to do other then actually make an appointment with my doctor and ask him person to person. I felt like I was doin the right thing but now I wish I would have not clicked yes and have ben done with. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Member #
    Liked
    9108 times
    If it's your family Doctor, contact the local Board of Family Medicine and complain. You can also contact the local Academy of Medicine. That's very unprofessional.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    4858 times
    I am in now way familiar with the laws there, but I would probably at this point make that appointment and have a polite visit and talk. If he is in fact holding it up due to his beliefs I would then find another doctor. Sorry to hear of your problems though. Good luck.

And even better what Divebum said. I agree it is unprofessional for him not to respond.
    Slakev likes this.
    Owner Taurus PT740 Slim
    Kimber Compact Stainless II
    SW BodyGuard .380
    Windham Weaponry AR-15 SRC
    Mosin Negant
    Florida CWP
    GOA Member
    Florida Carry Member
    NRA Life Member
    @uscfgo

Patrick Henry of Virginia:
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel." — Virginia's U.S. Constitution ratification convention

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Anxiety is not an illness. Most people will experience anxiety from time to time. If it is severe anxiety, then it becomes a disorder (still not an illness).

Go to your doctor's office and ask to speak with him; explain that you need that letter. If he is unwilling to give you one, ask why. If he is anti-gun, find another doctor, and have him evaluate you. Have your records from the other doctor sent to the new doctor.

If he finds that you are not a danger to yourself or others, tell him you need a letter to that effect.

mbogo
    counsel650 and Pollard1911 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    It is in fact my family doctor. I'm thinking just making an appointment and talking with him. I don't know what else to do. I've not had any problems it's him other then letter.

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    He actually may not be qualified to diagnose your mental health for purposes of clearing you for a CCW. If he prescribed mood-altering drugs (e.g., antidepressants, tranquilizers), he can describe the etiology and symptoms of your anxiety and whether they rose to the level of mental illness.

mbogo

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Who should I call and try to get a paper stating I'm mentally stable ect? I've only been on antidepressants, infact all my life.

Member #
    Liked
    62 times
    Your health insurance provider probably has a web site where you can search for mental health professionals. No one is going to write that letter without evaluating you.

mbogo

Member #
    Liked
    1181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mbogo View Post
    Your health insurance provider probably has a web site where you can search for mental health professionals. No one is going to write that letter without evaluating you.

mbogo
    Yep, especially regarding CCW license. I suggest you check the yellow pages as well.

Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    I don't mind being evaluated at all. I just want my damn permit and to feel like being treated right. I keep getting put through a ringer.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links