Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Feel SO stupid

8K views 60 replies 47 participants last post by  hurst01 
#1 ·
Anybody else drop their gun in a public place? Had to dj a bday party last nite, stopped to use the restroom at a gas station in an unfamiliar town. Had my big coat on,as it was pretty cold, and must have pulled gun out of holster with the steering wheel getting out of the car. Walked about 6 steps toward the door and plop...I usually adjust when I get out of car, but never seems to move any other time, so I didn't as there were two guys standing there. OMG! I picked it up quickly and put it in my coat until I could get to the bathroom and get it back in holster:eek: Well did my business got back in the car, back on the road, and about 3 miles outta town,here come the cops! I was so embarrased I could have died! They asked for my license and my permit to carry of course, and long story short, told me to be more conciencious as it freaks people out. Wow, really? You think? Anyway, just curious as to whether this has happened to any other dumb*** besides me?

#3 ·
Might be time to think about other carry options.

#4 ·
Just think about it? You have a story to tell that not many of us will have to pass around.

I dropped one, while loading Horse Bedding at the local tractor supply store. But I was at the back dock, and only me and the clerk were there. He did look a little shocked but said nothing. I just said whoop's, and stuck it back in place.

Of course, KY being an open carry state, and pretty good about it, if I had dropped it inside the store not much would have been said.

#5 ·
No, it's just you
lol...;)

Probably more have done that than people think..some have done that and will never tell..:bang:
I had it happen , but never in front of anyone..thank god..used the restroom and it came out of my paddle holster went i sat down..:eek:
Never happened again..one time like that and you never forget....:)

#6 ·
Anyway, just curious as to whether this has happened to any other dumb*** besides me?
My first thought when I read this was, "Not yet." My second thought was, "Hey, learn from this, and don't do it." I appreciate your sharing this bit of embarrassment. Thank you.

#7 ·
It happened to me, back in 1984. I was working in the money trailer, at a carnival, for the American legion. I had my S&W model 60 in a leg holster. As I jumped into the trailer, the gun flew out of the holster, an clattered to the floor. I was really embarrassed, as there was no provision for concealed carry at that time. Oops!

#8 ·
I honestly have never had this happen to me, fortunately, but, I will remember your story in the back of my mind for a while!

#10 ·
What I think is bad in this story is the nosy busy bodies that called the police on you. Yeah I know that's a two sided argument, but it would have ticked me off, to have that happen on top of everything else.

#45 ·
Then, on the other hand, " IF YOU SEE SOMETHING, SAY SOMETHING" has to have play in the minds. You know how many times that has been brought up, AFTER the big event has gone down.

#15 ·
Retention, retention, retention... I use a Serpa CQC or a Supertuck carried really tight.

My holsters are all built for that, I cannot wrestle with my kids and fear that my firearm will fall out.

Glad nothing exiting actually happened.

#16 ·
It's just one reason I carry in a pocket. I carry all day as long as I have pants on and don't really notice it or have to worry how I stoop over or such. I can carry an accurate, reliable 9mm or .38 revolver this way, don't need a belt gun. There are few compromises with pocket carry that I can't train around, either. Draw is quite fast, especially if you walk with your hand on the gun in your pocket in high risk areas and everyone just figures you like pocket billiards. :D

#18 ·
Ouch, that's a lesson learned. I've had the clip on an IWB pull loose, and slide down my leg once. I had to make like I was tying my shoe, and do the quick switch to an inside jacket pocket. I've also seen a guy drop a full size Beretta 92 into the theater aisle behind him at the movies. He must have had it tucked into the back of his pants.

#19 ·
Carrying a gun is like riding a motorcycle, there are those who have dropped them and those that are going to drop them. When you change catagories will not be determined by you.
I feel your pain, and thank you for making all of us a little more aware.

#20 · (Edited)
I discribed it happening to me before on this forum. Had stopped at a fast food place. Took my PT145 in Ace Case IWB holster and attempted to secure it to my cargo shorts (apparently I attached it to my underwear). I was wearing flip flops and as I walked into the first set of two double glass doors going into the fast food place, I slipped and fell against the wall to my left. The gun and holster slipped through my underwear hit the tile and slid in front of the inner double glass doors just as a man and his daughter were coming out. I think I said, "That was embarassing". The man smiled as I scooped up my Taurus and he continued on his way.

I notice your from Iowa ... must be slippery floors in Iowa.

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#21 ·
If I ignore the question would that count as a lie!? :rolleyes:

When I very first started carrying I had a really cheap IWB holster. I was at the indoor shooting range and bent down to pick up something from the floor and my 709 went clunk on the floor! My first thought was no bang...that's a good thing. I quickly picked it up and put it on the shooting shelf and then rearranged things. Soon after I bought a proper holster. At least I was at a place where guns are ok!

#23 ·
Retention, retention, retention. Too many people forget that the primary function of a holster is to hold the gun. Hence the name. Safariland has a couple of interesting papers linked off Holster Retention Levels | Holster Security Rating Systems | Holster Locking Systems - SAFARILAND™

New technology is making retention better, and available in more comfortable and more concealable holsters.

I always carry in at least Level I retention holsters since I ride a motorcycle and dropping a gun would be worse than your experience.

There are people who don't agree with me, and I'm not trying (or interested in) starting an argument - just expressing my opinions.

The Police Policy Studies Council

#24 ·
Never had this happen, but it does lend to a good wake up for all. Just be sure to check and adjust very time you get up or out of your car. I am not paranoid but I am always making sure my shirt didn't ride up when I get up in public.

Reactions: Woody USSLUCE
#25 ·
I've never dropped one, thank goodness, but I have had a couple ride up in the holster. When that happened, those holsters went into the box and a better holster was purchased to avoid that happening again. I have had a shirttail ride up or get tucked in a bit to show the outline or part of the holster. That happened once at the grocery store and a woman asked me in a slightly loud voice "Is that a gun?" I replied "I'm sorry you saw that, it's my colostomy bag." That woman apologized half a dozen times as she took off down the aisle. I was just being a smart ass at the time, but after seeing the reaction I got from her I've used that line a couple of times since. It works every time. It seems that if you're wearing a gun, little goodie two shoes is going to tell everyone within earshot and try and make you look bad. But if you correct them and tell them it's a colostomy bag they become mortified at their own behavior. I find it amusing and effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.