Anybody carry a large-frame revolver?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Anybody carry a large-frame revolver?

So, while I'm waiting on my 608 revolver to return from it's warranty repairs in Miami, I thought I'd ask if anybody ever used one as their carry gun.

I'm kinda medium in size, currently 6' and low 200s for weight (and getting lower as we speak...but that's a whole different subject).

I haven't been anywhere in years that requires dressing up in a suit, so I figure IWB would be preferable. I think I would like to be able to tuck the shirt in, but it wouldn't be impossible to just wear the shirts outside the belt. Just not sure if I can get that cylinder bulge covered up adequately. I've found some nice pancake holsters that look like they'd be best on the belt OWB, and I think I like the Kholster and Crossbreed for IWB. My bigger concern with wearing the shirt over the outside as opposed to being tucked in is having the gun exposed if I stretch, like while reaching up, or if I move the wrong way so it shows. I've heard stories about the SuperTuck being used to successfully conceal a pretty large revolver (one story was supposedly a CCW instructor using a 500 S & W to demonstrate that you really can hide a huge gun in one)...which I can neither confirm or debunk. (On edit, I found the reference to the S&W 500...it was a SmartCarry, not a Crossbreed holster, that a certain CCW instructor uses for this demo.)

I know it would probably be simpler to just go with something much smaller, but this one happens to be the only handgun I own, and at this time I don't have a budget to support having a different one for each day of the week!

Thanks for your input,
    Doug

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times

Re: Anybody carry a large-frame revolver?

I am about the same size as you, maybe ten pounds or so lighter.
    The largest gun I carry now as far as frame size would be the Model
    617 snubbie 2" K-frame or the Glock 26. I am just not comfortable
    carrying larger frames when I conceal carry, especially during the
    summer months where I live. I had thought about getting a Ruger
    GP-100 with the 3" barrel for concealed carry at one time, but I
    like the convenience of throwing a gun in a pocket holster and
    sticking my gun in my front pocket now (the Ruger LCP has spoiled
    me I guess). During the cooler months I do carry the 617 and the
    Glock 26 IWB with a shirt or jacket as cover.

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

I've been toying with the possibility of a 617...in the photos it looks like it's ported...if it is, can you tell if they make a difference?

Another possibility is a 905 or one of the new 940s, perhaps. (Can you tell I like revolvers? lol)

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times

I carry a .41 Mag. model 415 owb in a galco pancake without any trouble. The downside is that my speed loaders ARE kinda bulky. It isn't an issue when I'm cruising timber, but I just carry a loose reload in my weak-side pocket when I'm concealing.

Edited for spelling and clarification.
    Why aren't there any cheap hobbies?

Member #
    Liked
    5355 times

Buscrusher,

My 617 is not ported. I bought it around two years ago and unless
    things have changed, they are still not ported. The 617 has a heavy
    frame for a snubnose revolver (K Frame), but the two additional rounds
    you get versus a typical J Frame was one of the selling points for me.
    Shooting .357 Magnum through it isn't bad at all when it comes to
    recoil. (I think the extra weight helps there) I carry .38 Special +P in
    mine (the .357 Magnum generates lots of noise pollution and if I have
    to use it in a self defense situation I do not want a lawsuit because a
    bullet passes through the bad guy into a bystander)

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

I own Taurus 444.
    I found it impossible to carry concealed.
    The only time it's on me is when I go hunting and I can open carry it...

Member #
    Kansas, on the border of the Great State of Missery
    Liked
    0 times

@CUForester: I'm getting ready to purchase a 415, and for the life of me I can't find speedloaders for this revolver - can you share who makes them and where to buy? Thanks!

As far as the topic at hand, I've concealed a 2.5" S&W Model 66 OWB and a 5" S&W 686+ IWB . . . I'm 5'11" and 220#, but I have the advantage of being barrel chested, so anything I carry tends to hold tight to my side.

But isn't the 415 essentially a K frame sized revolver? When I hear large frame revolver, I think N frame . . . those, I CANNOT conceal!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33063 times

You don't say what the barrel length is on your 608, but that could pose another problem as far a IWB carry. Whatever you choose, I'd suggest a good quality gun belt. One designed for the purpose of carry. The belt is the foundation of carrying in most any holster. If it's well supported, it'll conceal much easier.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    2044 times

I carry a S&W 2.5 66 most of the time. It is a K frame. I carry it OWB. Tall as you but 40 pounds lighter. Never been a problem.
    Old age isn't for sissy's!!
    Don't give up the ship!! Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry!!
    Due to the rising cost of ammo. A warning shot will NOT be fired!!

Ohio CHL holder
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    14 times

Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon™
    You don't say what the barrel length is on your 608, but that could pose another problem as far a IWB carry. Whatever you choose, I'd suggest a good quality gun belt. One designed for the purpose of carry. The belt is the foundation of carrying in most any holster. If it's well supported, it'll conceal much easier.
    It's a 4" barrel, and from what I've been able to gather from Charlie Parrott of SmartCarry, a 608 is the size of an N frame S&W (yeah...a BIG pistol...). I've done some preliminary testing of stuffing the gun in various places around my waist, and it seems like the SmartCarry may be my solution. I'm pretty long-waisted, so if I get the angle of it right it seems like it'll fit okay. The SmartCarry site shows a person with a 4" revolver concealed in one, so I've ordered one to see what happens. If nothing else, I can use it as an alternative to a fanny pack (no, I'm not going to wear it OUTside my pants!!! LOL) And if nothing else, I'll have it for the day I can afford to get another smaller pistol that will fit more comfortably.

I do have a fanny pack it will fit into, but I don't think I trust it much. This past weekend I gave it a trial run while I did some shopping at Costco, and I got a pretty good scare. I tried to be real careful about making sure it was totally zipped into the rear compartment of the pack before I got out of the car, and I had my wallet in the front where it normally rides. I went about my business at the store, and when I got to the checkout line I looked down to get my wallet out, and the back compartment was OPEN and the gun was almost hanging out and ready to fall on the floor!!!!! I couldn't get it shut fast enough!!! All I had was visions of getting swarmed by the cops and being arrested...I read a story not long ago about someone who was actually in a Costo somewhere, and their jacket rode up enough when they reached for something so that someone saw the gun in the holster strapped against his back, they called the cops, and the poor guy got hauled away before he even knew what was happening!! The good news is that this time nothing happened...but my heart sure was going a mile a minute there for a little while!! I considered using the front pocket of the fanny pack because it only zips open on top, but I don't want to forget and open that up instead of pulling out my wallet and give someone an eyeful of the gun! So for now, the fanny pack is ONLY good for carrying the wallet! The gun stays at HOME until I have a proper holster!

I don't have to be concerned about the belt issue either, because for the past several years I've been using a Galco gunbelt as my everyday belt. I wanted something that wouldn't look all worn out and used up after a few months, and I found the Galcos at the range just down the street, so I just bought that and never looked back. At the time I wasn't particularly interested in doing the CCW route, but it's turning out to be a good thing. I have a friend here that has her own leather goods business, and I know she's made at least one holster for one of the sheriffs, so I may tap her talents to see what we can come up with. I might have her set me up with a S.O.B. one for the times I want to carry while wearing a cover garment, and other times go with the SmartCarry.(Maybe I should just have her make the holster for me and then post the pictures so others here can see what she can do and perhaps order one also!)

I should be getting the SmartCarry later this week in the mail. I'll try to take some photos and y'all can see what it looks like. I'm hopeful!

Doug

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links