Question in regards to an IWB and SOB holster for a right handed user
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    11 times

Question in regards to an IWB and SOB holster for a right handed user

I am trying to find a holster to use for daily concealed carry (for a PT709). What I'm looking for is something that is inside-the-waistband but also small-of-the-back. I am right handed. In order to have the pistol grip in the proper orientation/direction do I need to be looking at IWB holsters for a left-handed draw??

Thanks,
    BK

Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Question in regards to an IWB and SOB holster for a right handed user

Yes unless you find a holster that has a clip you can switch to the other side

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

There is one for the 709 that is specifically a SOB, I just saw one, cant remember where!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Found it. I have an Alessi for my G17, it;s 22 years old and looks like new, top of the line stuff, but pricey.
    http://shop.alessigunholsters.com/It...0Taurus%20Guns

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

I have a couple of uncle mikes in both hands (L&R) it depends on the gun but generally left Hand works best with my pt145

Member #
    Liked
    3 times

For SOB you would need a left handed holster but, unless I'm mistaken, they are usually outside of the belt. An IWB holster would be a right handed holster. Now you can wear the right handed IWB back as far as you want but a left handed IWB holster will not work for a right handed shooter.
    I can't go to work today,the voices said "Stay home and clean the guns"!

Moderator Emeritus

Member #
    Liked
    956 times

Quote Originally Posted by deuce
    For SOB you would need a left handed holster but, unless I'm mistaken, they are usually outside of the belt. An IWB holster would be a right handed holster. Now you can wear the right handed IWB back as far as you want but a left handed IWB holster will not work for a right handed shooter.
    Ok, I think whether it would work, would depend on how you draw. I have seen holsters that had the grip down, others with the grip up for SOB. I would prefer grip down, and have used a clip on IWB, in the back.

I actually am having to use a left hand draw right now, due to Dr. putting my right hand in a splint for a couple months. I actually was able to take one of the revolver belt slide holsters with two belt loops, (that was right handed), and am using it for left side carry at the 1030 position. I do have a left hand holster for my PT111, that I got from Don Hume,JIT (it was on their cheap page, for some reason, I think because it was for a Gen 1 PT111, so I soaked it in water, and put my wrapped 111 in it, it is perfect now and tight as a drum for left side carry.)

I want to get a left hand SOB holster, grip down type to wear strong side, as I like the angle for drawing.

ROBBY
    Board Of Directors KC3 http://www.kc3.com/index.html
    NRA Member, GOA Member, NAGR member

TKA
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Quote Originally Posted by BK Meyers
    I am trying to find a holster to use for daily concealed carry (for a PT709). What I'm looking for is something that is inside-the-waistband but also small-of-the-back. I am right handed. In order to have the pistol grip in the proper orientation/direction do I need to be looking at IWB holsters for a left-handed draw??

Thanks,
    BK

My first suggestion would be that you always carry your gun in the same position. Because in a stressful situation you may find yourself reaching for your gun and it isn't there and by the time you realize where it is it may be too late. But if you really want to alternate between 2 carry positions I would suggest that you get 2 holsters. I don't know of a good holster that can be used IWB and SOB.

Proud member of the GOA

We Texans

[hr]

Member #
    Liked
    10750 times

Look at the CrossBreed's SuperTuck line of holsters. I have a CB Quik Clip for my PT-111 MilPro and it is the most comfortable holster I've ever owned. Price is very reasonable and there is not much of a backlog on orders (ask when you call). The SuperTuck will allow you to carry SOB, FBI Cant, Standard Cant or Cross Draw with the same holster. Its just a simple adjustment to change carry positions. If you add a leather or rubber washer between the clip and the leather you will find it becomes much easier to tuck your shirt so with a 709 you can carry in the summer wearing a loose T-shirt and shorts. I normally carry SOB and I've found I can drive, or sit in a deep chair with total comfort. The holster just seems to wrap around you with no pinch points. You can adjust retention with a hairdryer, instructions are included with the holster.

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times

+1 with Greenwolf70 on the Supertuck. I ordered mine with a 15 degree forward cant and I can carry it 3:00, 4:30, and SOB by just adjusting the clips to alter the angle. However, I carry with the butt end up when in SOB so your mileage may vary. Seems more natural that way since your hand is already turned the right direction to grip the gun when you reach behind your back and the gun is already turned the right direction when it clears your back so no twisting and turning of gun or hand.
    Dave
    PT111 Mil Pro
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links