Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

College Campus Concealed Carry Bill Filed: Texas

4K views 64 replies 19 participants last post by  Steelheart 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Durn right it's a good idea. I sent my representative a letter last year telling him I hope he gets behind it, and he replied that he was a cosponsor ! :D I'm sure he'll support this one too.

When my son goes to college, and turns 21, I want him to be able to protect himself in a very vulnerable setting like that.

#3 ·
texastaurusguy said:
Durn right it's a good idea. I sent my representative a letter last year telling him I hope he gets behind it, and he replied that he was a cosponsor ! :D I'm sure he'll support this one too.

When my son goes to college, and turns 21, I want him to be able to protect himself in a very vulnerable setting like that.
+1

#4 ·
I had a guy tell me the other day, that he didn't want all those "damned " kids running around campus with guns.

I told him, that to conceal carry, only 21 year olds and older would be able to legally. Of the 21 year olds, not all would even have the interest to carry. Which is ok. I said, there probably wouldn't be as many guns present as he thought.

He thought a minute, and said really? I never looked at it that way.

#5 ·
I'm all for it. 1966 UT campus it was civilian suppressing fire which helped hold the gunman pinned down while law enforcement was able to get up the tower to him!

#6 ·
I'm convinced that if a handful of students at VA. Tech had been able to carry a gun that day, it would have ended with a substantially lower body count.

#9 ·
Go to it! Representative Joe Driver of Garland has been the major supporter of this since it started out. If I lived up there I'd vote for this guy.

Since age retired me, I rely on teaching part-time at local community colleges. I am 100 percent for it. Our local college PD is very professional and very alert, but they can't be everywhere at once.

IMHO, the campus shooters in the past few years did what they did in part because they knew they'd have little or no resistance. Would fewer students have been killed at the Univ of Va? I don't know that, but I suspect that a few armed students and faculty would have fought back and perhaps saved some lives. In the first 7 months of 2010, the DOJ reports 35 rapes per 1000 female students nationwide.

Maybe if Texas can set a precedent, the rest of the country will follow along.

#11 ·
Yep I agree, unfortunately here at Montana State - Bozeman where I am trying to finish my degree, they are totaly against it. Its one of those deal, where a trusting 'cow town' college elected officals blindly. Now we have a bunch of liberal, anti-gun, 'bring the gays out the closet', granolas......running the show.....

Wasn't always this way.....MSU used to be a wonderfu and a proudful place to get an education.....not anymore. So, I am just trying to finish.....and get the heck of Dodge....(ooops, I mean Bozeman)

Lonerider

#12 ·
More power(.45) to you Texan's. I'd be for it! As in previous posts, I too think some of the other campus incidents could have had different outcomes, had students and or teachers could have been carrying.

#14 ·
I agree with chuckybrown, I don't think there is something crazy in the air that would change a responsible CWP holder to act any less responsible wile carrying on campus as apposed to the restaurant across the street. If someone want's to bring a gun to campus with intent to harm they will do it regardless of law. Other students should have the right to protect themselves within the law when the law can't.

#15 ·
chuckybrown said:
Gentlemen....if we can entrust an 18 year old Marine with an M 14, can we not entrust a 21 year old with a sidearm?
If we trust our men and women in uniform with weapons like the M14, M16, not to mention grenade launchers, Abrams tanks, and other weaponry, why are they restricted from carrying a pistol while on an American military base?

Sorry, don't mean to hijack. Subject for another thread, I suppose.

#16 ·
texastaurusguy™ said:
If we trust our men and women in uniform with weapons like the M14, M16, not to mention grenade launchers, Abrams tanks, and other weaponry, why are they restricted from carrying a pistol while on an American military base?

It might be another thread, but this is something I have always wondered too!

#18 ·
NativeTexan™ said:
Also up this session in the legislature is open carry. I'll be watching THAT one.
Not that I would, but I do want the option!

#19 ·
Exactly. I think, too, it'd take the sting out of "flashing" your handgun, say, if you bent over and the muzzle showed. I'm hoping that little part of the CCW laws would get totally tossed out with open carry legislation.

#20 ·
texastaurusguy™ said:

Not that the situation may be any better than in the civilian population, but the rationale is probably due to the presence of MPs on bases. Problem is the police, whether civilian or military, can't be everywhere all the time.

#21 ·
NativeTexan™ said:
Exactly.  I think, too, it'd take the sting out of "flashing" your handgun, say, if you bent over and the muzzle showed.  I'm hoping that little part of the CCW laws would get totally tossed out with open carry legislation.
Agree, but only for those who hold CHLs. I don't want to see every Tom, Dick and Harriet walking around in public open carrying without some sort of proof they know how to safely and responsibly handle a handgun (like CHL holders have to demonstrate), not that they can just own a handgun.

#22 ·
calmb4thestorm said:
Agree, but only for those who hold CHLs. I don't want to see every Tom, Dick and Harriet walking around in public open carrying without some sort of proof they know how to safely and responsibly handle a handgun (like CHL holders have to demonstrate), not that they can just own a handgun.
I disagree, the CHL process is so loose on safety that the fact that you have not killed yourself yet is basically all you need to pass! Not to mention, Have you seen some of those people shoot, wow! I don't want a permitting process, we don't need cops checking everyones ID all the time, let them chase murderers or bank robbers. If someone is reckless, there are statutes to deal with them. I tend to error on the side of the individual not the government though.

#23 ·
TexasAviator said:
I tend to error on the side of the individual not the government though.
Although I think the training is a good idea, and I wouldn't mind seeing it incorporated somehow into an open carry law, I too think that we have to be careful with this. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say "as long as". Nor should it. As long as you're a citizen, and not a felon, you should have the right to carry - open or not.

#24 ·
I have been thinking about this, ever since I read this post. Been asking myself, would I like to see CCW at montana state.......After a lot of thought.....probally not.....

In MT its not too hard to get a CCW......It would scare me if some of the students had a weapon on them......MSU has change quiet a bit.....A lot more immature and irresponsble young'uns these days.....alway hearing about the party and drugs the night before..... No way to screen out those that are not stable or are hi on something.
Even if the campus law enforcement had some sort of program to qualify.....there would be an awlful lot that would get through... Not set in stone, since I have a CCW and would like to carry, but not so sure with the current crop of students and the attitude of current administraion.
Have problems with skate boarders as is.....generaly in their 20's and they care for no one else but themselves.....and I have seen students fighting each other on whim....What happen if they were carrying.....I think some innocent people would get hurt.....not sure how to resolve.
Lonerider

#25 ·
TexasAviator said:
I disagree, the CHL process is so loose on safety that the fact that you have not killed yourself yet is basically all you need to pass! Not to mention,  Have you seen some of those people shoot, wow! I don't want a permitting process, we don't need cops checking everyones ID all the time, let them chase murderers or bank robbers.  If someone is reckless, there are statutes to deal with them.  I tend to error on the side of the individual not the government though. 
While the training associated with obtaining a TX CHL is far from stringent, it's better than nothing, which is what it takes to buy a handgun in TX (other than being at least 21 years old and passing the NICS background check). In my opinion, any amount of training is better than none at all when it comes to the safe and responsible handling of a handgun. If there's anything to complain about, it's that the training to obtain a TX CHL should be more extensive than it currently is. Besides, statutes mean nothing to someone killed by someone else who handles their handgun in an unsafe or irresponsible manner.

#26 ·
texastaurusguy™ said:
Although I think the training is a good idea, and I wouldn't mind seeing it incorporated somehow into an open carry law, I too think that we have to be careful with this. Nowhere in the Constitution does it say "as long as". Nor should it. As long as you're a citizen, and not a felon, you should have the right to carry - open or not.
So you think it's a good idea, but we shouldn't have to do it, because the Constitution says we don't need to? Sorry, but that doesn't reconcile in my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.