Safety - On or Off
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Safety - On or Off

Member #
    Liked
    167 times

Safety - On or Off

I was just wondering how most carry their guns that have a safety. Safety on or safety off. I do both depending on where I am going.

Member #
    Liked
    4542 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sid_Matheny View Post
    I was just wondering how most carry their guns that have a safety. Safety on or safety off. I do both depending on where I am going.
    The very few times I've carried, it has been a TCP .380 which has no safety. However there isn't one in the chamber, so it's pretty safe.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    safety off

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    33045 times
    I prefer DA carry, safety off, DA trigger first shot. With the PT145 or with 1911s, cocked and locked, safety on condition one.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46851 times
    The only carry guns that I have without a safety are the TCP and the 605, all are carried with rounds ready to go, and the pistols which have them have the safety engaged.
    GhostHorse and dale5522 like this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    26026 times
    I specifically carry firearms that are safe to carry with a round in the chamber and the safety off.

I make sure I have a good holster for the position of carry and firearm that I am using for the day.

I prefer hammer fired double action firearms that have a long enough trigger pull that it would be difficult to fire it by accident.

I stay away from short trigger pulls that have only a trigger safety such as the Glock series if I am going to carry IWB. OWB in a sturdy holster is a must for actions such as the Glock type.

The only striker fired handgun I carry regularly is my Taurus PT145. I have good holsters for it and practice drawing it with my finger not on the trigger. I do not use the safety on it either.
    NativeTexan likes this.

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Member #
    Liked
    175 times
    Seems how I carry a 1911 it's cocked and locked for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Old_Sp5 likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    12726 times
    Well it depends on what is in my current carry stable and how I have improved the trigger. Example I have 2 M&P's, a service size with a finely tuned trigger, no safety. That is for range and home work. The M&P 2.0 compact also has a improved trigger, but with the ambi safety. I carry this one the most right now. One in chamber, safety on, in secure quality IWB holster. I also carry a new CZ P07, also with trigger improvements. It is a SA/DA decocker style pistol. So I carry it decocked in DA, that is my safety.

However I train,train, train. Much more with a pistol having a safety - if I am going to use it. Then there are my occasional carry, like the CPX 3 - also with an improved trigger ( hot weather carry ), the long DA pull serves as my safety, carried in a pocket holster. A LCP2 also with an improved trigger, but with a safety that I use in its pocket holster. When I carry my 1911's it is cocked and locked - OWB in a quality leather holster. The key once again to using a safety successfully is to train until it is second nature.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    242 times
    Depends on the firearm platform.

With SA/DA such as the CZ PCR and third generation Smith and Wesson auto, no safety on.

1911 platform, safety on.

Member #
    Liked
    8752 times
    Depends on the gun.

Single action semi autos are carried safety on.

Double actions that I can mechanically decock rather than pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with a thumb (or, in the case of my little Beretta Tomcat, load the chamber by tipping the barrel up) are carried hammer down, safety off.

Why the mechanical decocker requirement?

Because disabling all the automatic safeties there may be in the gun by pulling the trigger and riding the hammer down with only my thumb gives me the heebee-jeebees and strikes me as a negligent discharge waiting for a place to happen. Demon Murphy seems to keep a close eye on my and there's no sense in giving him an inside track to mischief.

Many moons ago, Smith and Wesson came out with their 3rd Generation bottom feeders and they found a ready market in the law enforcement community. Since the safeties on the 3rd Gen Smiths are a) slide mounted instead of frame mounted and b) flip up for off rather than down, the LEO community used the safeties to decock and carried them hammer down, safety off. A few of my shooting buddies happen to be LEO's at the time, so I picked up their methodology on the 4006 that was my primary carry at the time. It's carried on through the years and has been applied to any DA bottom feeder I carry.

If the DA trigger pull is as heavy as a DA revolver (8 pounds plus), then I see no need for a manual safety. If the gun in question has one of those lowest common denominator actions where there's a single action trigger weight on a double action trigger stroke, then a manual safety is needed. If my Series 70 Combat Commander with the stock 5 1/2 pound trigger pull needs a manual safety, then that so-called 'light double action' with the identical trigger pull weight does, too.
    Last edited by jtg452; 09-04-2020 at 06:23 AM.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links