Looking to get my 1st handgun
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Looking to get my 1st handgun

Member #
    Liked
    20 times

Looking to get my 1st handgun

Hey everyone. With all the chaos that is our world these days I was finally able to talk my wife into me getting a handgun. I have owned other long guns over the years hunting but my wife and her family seem to be scared of handguns. I personally think it’s just a fear of the unknown. I will be showing her that I am taking all the safety steps I can. My 1st priority like all of y’all I am sure is the safety of your Family. I am on a budget so won’t be able go crazy out there. This 1st handgun I am looking to get one that I can Carry then hopefully later get a Home Defense gun. I am 5’10 and 200lbs so I am a bit stocky. What budget CCWs do y’all recommend? Thank y’all for any advice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    777Driver and dogchild like this.

Member #
    Liked
    219 times
    I would start with a a Revolver. If you could rent some at a Range and try them that’s always a good way to get started.
    Two Revolvers every day all day

Member #
    Liked
    1532 times
    I think the Taurus G2C is the best gun for you.
    It's simple, reliable, inexpensive, compact for carrying, and has great capacity for a compact gun (12+1).
    The G2C also has a manual safety, which I think is imperitive for a beginner. The G2C's safety is a great one too. It's light and crisp; easy to both engage and disengage.

The advantages of a revolver are: extremely simple, extremely reliable, and easy to use. The disadventages are: only 5 or 6 rounds, and slow to reload.
    The advantages of a semi-auto are: greater capacity, fast & easy to reload. The disadvantages are: more complicated, and a slight possibility to misfire.
    Last edited by 777Driver; 06-12-2020 at 08:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    1907 times
    Since you're on the Taurus Armed forum, I'll recommend the Taurus PT111 G2 9 mm. I've seen them priced between $190 - $240 new. They come with 2x12 round magazines. The ergonomics are excellent and it goes bang every time.

Only down sides: Poor finishing inside the slide (tooling marks); Not going into battery after firing (this issue goes away after a couple hundred rounds); And I'm not impressed with Taurus customer service.

Good Points: Excellent concealed carry size; Second Strike capability; Plenty of holster makers; External Safety (if that is what you want); Standard rail for light attachment; Not too bad of a trigger; Adjustable rear sight;

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Slicer021 and jonrjen like this.
    The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest we become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. - Cicero 55 B.C.

Member #
    Liked
    347 times
    If you go with a semi-auto, the least expensive ammo in a good defensive caliber is 9mm. That could become important for practice purposes. You want to shoot plenty of practice rounds to become confident and competent with the gun. And not just at first; continual practice is important, too.

If you decide on a revolver, be aware that the smallest, lightest ones in .38 spl. can be difficult for new shooters. I would recommend a steel model, and maybe a 4" barrel rather than 2". A 3" barrel would be my ideal but they aren't as readily available. If you buy a .357, it will also shoot the less expensive .38 spl. ammo.
    jonrjen, Smokewagon and Czechbikr like this.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Canik/TriStar S120
    Browning Buck Mark Plus
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    5224 times
    You cant go wrong with the Taurus G2C....good balance, good ergos and capacity!

Member #
    Liked
    20 times
    Thank you everyone so far for your replies and info. I have been looking at a G2C and it seems like a very good good for the price. You know how it is it just seems Taurus has so much hate from the other groups I wanted to come here to where the people here actually use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    20631 times
    You have received some good advice so far. I'll just add good luck in finding something for sale! It's definitely some slim pickins out there these days.
    Slicer021, olfarhors and JimmyA like this.

Member #
    Liked
    450 times
    You are just going to have to handle and fire as many pistols as you can. Oly way to tell which fit you and you can shoot accurately.
    Last edited by DWARREN123; 06-13-2020 at 03:32 PM.
    olfarhors and tobywan45 like this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    34945 times
    The G2C is a really good pistol, but my two standard do-it-all handgun recommendations are the 3" .357 Magnum revolver, and the Commander size 1911.

The most versatile, useful handgun around is a 3" .357 revolver. They aren't too hard to shoot well, because of the sight radius of the 3" barrel. But that barrel isn't too hard to conceal, either. And .357 is one of the greatest handgun rounds of all time. I'd say it and .45ACP pretty much are the best two. Which is better depends on the application. But .357 can be a lot to handle, so the icing on the cake is that a .357 will also shoot .38 special. So that revolver will shoot anything from pussycat .38 target loads to hard cast lead slugs that would ruin a mountain lion's day. Models worth considering include the Ruger GP100 or SP101, the Charter Mag Pug, the new Colt King Cobra (spendy), or the Taurus 692. Full disclosure, I've held a grudge against S&W since the Clinton administration, and they can take a hike. But I have heard some very disturbing things about their quality control and customer service recently, too.

Now, here's another big advantage of a double action revolver. Snap caps let you can do some really effective training dirt cheap. If you want to, you can also buy laser rounds for even better training, although that takes the cost from $20 to $120. But you can train exactly as you'd fight. Very, very effective. And of course most of these revolvers give you the option of using the safe, smooth DA trigger, or thumb cocking for a more precise shot. It's one of the best advantages of the traditional modern revolver.

A 1911 with a 4" or 4.25" barrel is another very, very versatile handgun. The 1911 is the greatest fighting handgun of all time. The ergonomics are exceptional, the trigger is The Best, .45ACP is one of the two Greats as mentioned above, and if you want to you can also get them in .40 or 9mm. The slightly shorter barrel makes it easy to conceal, the full size frame makes it easy to control and reliable, and again, there's that John Moses Browning trigger. Faster reloads than the revolver, and thinner magazines (easier to conceal) than anything double stacked. Rock Island and Taurus make good 1911s of this size that don't cost much.

The G2C gives up some barrel length and sight radius. The trigger isn't exactly a classic. But other than those comments, the ergonomics are great, the capacity is great, the accuracy and reliability are outstanding, and if you're a compulsive tinkerer Lakeline can sell you well made goodies at great prices. If you want a better round than 9mm they make a .40 version too.

Any one of these would be a darn good choice.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links