Looking to get my 1st handgun - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Looking to get my 1st handgun

Member #
    Liked
    1528 times
    Just so you don't get confused, the Taurus PT-111 G2 and the Taurus G2C are pretty much the same gun. The PT-111 G2 is an older model that Taurus doesn't make anymore. It came with a lifetime transferrable warranty, and had a lock system call the "Taurus Security System", which was an allen screw that would lock the entire mechanism down, making the gun a big paperweight.

A couple years ago, Taurus came out with the G2C and the G2S, and discontinued the PT-111 G2. The G2C ("C" for compact) is a PT-111 G2 without the Taurus Security System. The G2S ("S" for slim) is the same gun as the G2C accept with a single stack magazine, and a slightly slimmer grip, which is good if you have small hands, but only holds 8 rounds. Taurus also changed the warranty to a lifetime "Limited" warranty that is not transferrable.

My opinion of the 1911 is this: I love the way the 1911 looks; I love the way a 1911 feels; I love the way the 1911 shoots; I HATE the way the 1911 breaks down!
    I can't imagine the troops in WWII breaking the 1911 down to clean in a war zone. Plus, most only have a single stack magazine which gives you 8 rounds. And the ammunition is expensive. And the gun is big, heavy, and a pain to carry for any length of time.

I would rather carry more rounds of 9mm (which is cheap).
    Want to see a great video? Go to YouTube and search "Why one cop carries 145 rounds".

That's just my opinion.
    One way to start a riot at a gun club is to ask the group: "What's the best caliber for a carry weapon?"
    Last edited by 777Driver; 06-13-2020 at 03:55 PM.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    The G2C is at a great price point and size. I'm about your size alternating between an ankle carry from Alien Gear and IWB from Crossbreed. Both holsters are true deep conceal. Plus like most have said, the 9mm ammo is a good price with many defensive rounds to suit your carry style. With that in mind, the 692 is another great choice. 9mm is great option for practice and the .357 provides all the protection you need.

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    First - try pistols for fit your hand. Revolver is good to start. Easy to use. You want to be able to shoot it without having to re-grip after each shot. Many ranges have pistols you can try. 2- get some lessons 3- then look at the cost. 😳🤣👀

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Two things come to mind. One is budget. The second is first handgun not only for yourself, but also for your wife, whether that's your intention or not. If you're wife is home alone and someone tries to break in, if the gun is there, she may need to use it. If both of you are home and someone tries to break in and you are incapacitated or otherwise unable, she may need to use it. Include her in the choice. It'll will ease some her fears if she's part of the process. I'm not in favor of used firearms for a first-time firearm purchase. All to often, the previous owner got rid of it because they were having problems with it and decide it's time someone else dealt with those problems for a change. A range that rents is an excellent choice. In lieu of rental, handle many different types of handguns (both of you). Make it a date. Shop for a handgun, then have lunch or coffee together to discuss what you found and what you liked and disliked about each one. The Smith and Wesson EZ in .380 and 9mm versions are excellent choices. I have both. While the Taurus G2 is also an excellent choice, it has been replaced by the Taurus G2C. There's a new G3C coming, but who knows when it will be available. It typically takes a while for new models to show up. When they do, they're snatched up as soon as they hit the shelves. Of course, there's the usual Glock 42 and 43, Smith & Wesson Shield, as well as the popular Sig P365 and Springfield Hellcat. Last but actually most important, take some classes.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    I would start with a a Revolver. If you could rent some at a Range and try them that’s always a good way to get started.
    Do that!

Rent/demo/try/borrow FIRST if at all possible! Then buy.

Semi-auto's are totally fun and cool. But you will get yourself or family killed by having a semi-auto that you are not TOTALLY and UNCONSCIOUSLY comfortable with and can it operate BY FEEL IN THE DARK. Remember this about weapons in a confrontation; if you touch it, you intend to kill with it. If you have to think about it then you will be the dead person behind the police tape.

Unless you are going to become a gun-nut, even on the low end of scale, and get frequent/regular practice with a semi-auto... then don't buy one.

Revolvers are KISS and idiot-proof compared to a semi-auto. If you become a gun-nut, at whatever level you need/like, and get bored with a revolver in the future just trade it in on the next level of firepower and chalk it up to learning curve cost.
    Last edited by daveindenver; 06-18-2020 at 12:40 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    30249 times
    For price point ($250-$300), reliability, fit, accuracy and concealed carry the Taurus G2's are hard to beat.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    7065 times
    Revolvers are a good first gun choice. I don't know your budget but a good revolver in .38 special can be had new in the $250 range. Want to shoot 9mm because of ammunition cost and reduced recoil? No problem, there are revolvers chambered in 9mm and also .380.

Be very careful if your wife is going into this uncomfortable with guns. If she takes just a couple shots of a caliber that is too strong for her it will be over. .357 may be a fine cartridge but your wife doesn't need any part of it at this point in your game. A new or used .38 revolver is less expensive then a .357 every time.

Good luck with whatever you choose and shoot safe!

Don
    Last edited by BangBang; 06-17-2020 at 07:26 PM.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    I see gun control as waiting in an ambulance at the bottom of a cliff when we should be building a fence at the top!

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
    Revolvers are a good first gun choice. I don't know your budget but a good revolver in .38 special can be had new in the $250 range.
    Don
    What he said!

Rock Island (Philippines) makes VG 1911's and solid products from the postings I have read. (Not suggesting a 1911 of course.)

Rock Island makes a 38 Special in a Compact (M-206, $240'ish) and a full size (M-200, $200'ish). VG prices. (Online gun sale prices.)

I would recommend the compact for CC (don't want a long'ish barrel to foul up your emergency point & shoot event). Put on an after market grip (not expensive) if you think you need more than 3 fingers on the grip for a panic flash-bang trigger pull episode.

FYI, if its not clear, the .38 Special is an ammo that has been around and in use for about 100 years. Police used it for many many decades. The .357 is the modern version of that ammo and fits perfectly in the same guns; is just slight bit longer but it uses substantially stronger/more gun powder. A .357 gun will hold and shoot both. But .38 Special gun (looks identical) can blow up in your hands if you put the too strong .357 ammo in it. The Rock Island M208 and M200 are .38 Special ammo only... and are less expensive because they do need the high strength carbon steel needed to handle the stronger .357. (Test on Friday... study up.)
    Last edited by daveindenver; 06-18-2020 at 12:36 AM. Reason: M206, not M208.

Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    ahh just to make a point--You do not own a handgun now, you want a handgun for protection---if you have a need for repair then you might want to understand that very likely you will be without your Taurus weapon for 8-10-12-plus weeks, so you again will be without a weapon!
    you might want to browse through the Taurus complaint/ repair page!!!
    just saying!!!
    Yes do look at complaint and repair. You are not only buying a sidearm but the service department of the manufacturer. It would appear Taurus repairs is a nightmare. I would go with a Glock or Smith & Wesson. Good customer service is vital.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Bersa 380, inexpensive, well made pistol with a decocker.
    olfarhors likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links