Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Think I need an upgrade.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times

Question Think I need an upgrade.

I pocket carry a TCP almost daily, light easy to carry, I can shoot it accurately, it just works for me. 7+1 plus another mag of 6 gives me 13 rounds. When I know I am going to Miami area I like to switch out to my PT-145. Still pocket carry (yes I have big pockets), much heavier gives me 10+1 and an extra mag of 12 for a total of 23 rounds. I practice with both equally.

Now after I finish at my day job I find myself heading to Miami too often with out an opportunity to swap out carry guns at home. Don't want to leave a gun in my car.

Now I am thinking I should just upgrade my TCP to a 9mm and carry that all the time.

What 9 mm do I go with? I have not looked at carry size guns in a long time, about 9 years. When I shot the Taurus G2 I did not like the feel of it at all so I think it is out. Would like a hammer fired gun, but does not have to be. Prefer no safety but I do deal with it on the PT-145.

Guess I need to hit up some gun shops and see what they have available.

What are some of your favorite 9mm compacts with a decent capacity?
    777Driver likes this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35326 times
    If you don’t have one already, check out a Glock 19. Good capacity, light weight, and no manual safety to mess with.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    5201 times
    Ruger LC9! only slightly bigger than the tcp! I was carrying the tcp and then switched to the g2 when they came out.....i decided to lighten my load and chose the Diamondback db9..... it is the smallest 9mm on the market. Had some reliability issues and ended up with the Ruger Lc9......The Ruger is an excellent choice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    469 times
    I selected the PT111 due to the 12 round capacity which is only beat by the Glock 19.

That said, you may want to check out the Sig 365 or Glock 43/48. They appear to be everywhere although I don't own them. If you like the 1911 platform there are some very nice 9mm short barrel and full size out there. Springfield makes quite a few I believe.
    gyro_cfi and Fishinkeylargo like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47651 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    If you don’t have one already, check out a Glock 19. Good capacity, light weight, and no manual safety to mess with.
    I don't have any Glocks, shot one chambered in .50 GI it was a custom job converting if from .45ACP. I have picked up a few and am not sure I liked the feel of them, may have to give on a try.
    Smokewagon and muddcatt54 like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    45441 times
    Given your requirements and descriptors, I would probably be buying one of these.

https://grabagun.com/sar-b6c-cmp-9mm-3-8-13rd-blk.html

Or one of these...I have one in 45 ACP and like it a lot.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/smi...8-round-pistol
    Last edited by Czechbikr; 06-05-2020 at 03:05 PM.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.
    “Historically, freedom is a rare and fragile thing . . . Freedom has cost the blood of millions in obscure places and in historic sites ranging from Gettysburg to the Gulag Archipelago . . .That something that cost so much in human lives should be surrendered piecemeal in exchange for visions and rhetoric seems grotesque. Freedom is not simply the right of intellectuals to circulate their merchandise. It is, above all, the right of ordinary people to find elbow room for themselves and a refuge from the rampaging presumptions of their ‘betters’.” Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    258 times
    Anything reliable, thin, and resistant to corrosion would be my choice. A single stack 9mm in poly with stainless or nitrided slide should work. For a long while in SWF I favored a Kahr PM9 stainless w/NS, 6+1 loaded weighed in under 20 ounces. Belt or pocket worked fine. Lately though I am very happy with a glock 48, 10+1 loaded weight 26 ounces exactly.

For something hammer fired for the belt - a CZ-PCR at 14/15+1 is excellent, decocker only but hard to find. Similarly, HK P30 15+1, ambi decocker in variant 3.

If you want something small and light and not heavy $$, a hammer fired DAO SCCY CPX-2 has worked for me without problems and disappears in kydex. I'm not going to call it top tier but it works and provides a tiny light package for 10+1 9mm.

Any of the double-stack glocks would work as well, with all the advantages no one has to list. I have a 26 but I wish the barrel were longer so it would conceal better. Thus I agree a 19 would be a great striker-fired choice.

Member #
    Liked
    2908 times
    Look at a Sig P-365. I bought one a few weeks back- just took it to the range today. It will become my EDC for most of the year.
    The standard 365 comes with 2 x 10 round mags and has 12 round mags available with a slight extended grip. On Tee shirt days you can carry with the 10 round mag with no issues. Then on days where you wear a button up shirt- use the 12 round mag. It pokes out a tad more than the 10.

At least look at it. Mine cost about $550, but it was worth it. Trigger is great, and they have a model with a safety and 2 models with out. Then there is the 365 XL model that has a slightly longer grip and barrel.

I assure you......they are worth looking at.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    376 times
    I like the Taurus G3 with a 15 and 17 round mag. I have 2 and they have been very good.
    Shut up and reload!

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35326 times
    A Shield is another good consideration if 8 rounds meets the requirement, and can be had without a thumb safety. Very thin pistol.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links