Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber

Member #
    Liked
    28066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    Whatever I happen to decide to carry on any given day will be fully loaded including one in the chamber. I want as many rounds as possible available to me should the need arise which is why I also carry one or two spare loaded magazines or speed loaders when carrying a revolver.

YEP!
    being Paranoid has its warm , fuzzy feeling moments!
    Plus I am a terrible shot so I need all the ammo that I can get!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

Member #
    Liked
    28066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Saw one once.

It was as weird as the 1911 chambered to fire .38Special wadcutters or the Ruger P-89 in .30 Luger.

well don't know about the Ruger but the 1911 in 38 Special was a goal oriented weapon--A target competition gun!
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Liked
    28066 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    I don't own a handgun that I won't carry, and I won't carry a handgun that I don't feel safe with a round in the chamber. JMHO
    I only have 2--a TCP that has been back to the mothership twice and still not reliable in function, so it stays in the back of the very top shelf of my safe, don't really know what to do with it to be honest, not worth the frustration of dealing with yet another factory return and the gun isn't worth enough to worry about it, plus its an A model and I don't think you can even get magazines for it any longer?
    and a old, old S & W revolver that my mom gave me.
    other than that If I gots it I will carry it and yes they are always fully loaded as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    8269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    well don't know about the Ruger but the 1911 in 38 Special was a goal oriented weapon--A target competition gun!
    They were made of a foreign market and then the deal to sell them overseas fell through.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    EDC is 709 slim with one in chamber and safety on.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8269 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    YEP!
    being Paranoid has its warm , fuzzy feeling moments!
    Plus I am a terrible shot so I need all the ammo that I can get!
    Better to have but not need, than need and not have.

Never heard of anybody complaining about having too much ammo ready at hand.
    olfarhors likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    My EDC changes, depending how I feel that day. #1 is my Sig P320C, with one in the chamber and two spare mags at 10:00. My other is my 4" Taurus Tracker fully loaded, with two speed loaders at 10:00. The big decision on which I carry depends on where I'm going. General crowds with general idiots, then its the Sig in .45. Church on Sunday then it will be the Tracker. I'm equally good with either, but prefer the revolver when around older church members and children.

Member #
    Liked
    441 times
    My EDC is pretty much limited to my G2 (probably 80% of the time) and my 1911 both always have one in the tube, the G2 w/safety on and the 1911 cocked and locked. Our old range officer always used to say if your not ready then carry a ball, it's at least shaped to throw.

Member #
    Liked
    82 times
    No round in the chamber, all you have is a club.
    But it has to be SAFE with a round in the chamber, and this is where we run into contention.
    For me personally that rules out all striker-fired guns and all guns without an external hammer that can be de-cocked whether manually or with a de-cocker.
    I will never fully trust any safety, even on a 1911, and if the only safety is "Don't pull the trigger, stupid" (Literally all Glocks and similar guns), you are just asking to blow your own leg off.

I realize there are a whole bunch of you who will consider this tantamount to declaring war. But with me your war is already lost, you will never ever convince me otherwise no matter how much you jump up and down in your pulpit and scream bloody murder. I have made my personal statement and am leaving this thread now and will not be back. So call me every name in the book if you must, preach, swear, condemn, whatever, it is all falling on deaf ears, I have zero interest in seeing it, reading it, or hearing about it.

I am not going to check back because there is absolutely no point. Nobody is ever going to change my point of view, and I am not ever going to change theirs. So why waste time throwing opinions back and forth, saying derogatory things about each other, arguing, preaching, name-calling, making negative insinuations and all of the other generally nasty things this subject invariably evokes. I am absolutely certain some of that will follow immediately regardless.
    Last edited by jimku; 05-25-2020 at 06:51 AM.

Member #
    Liked
    7760 times

ETA:

Okay, that was my first reaction.

First post on this thread is a declaration, then stomp away? Wha . . . ?

But then I went out and searched around to see what else might be behind that. And found a few toss-ups about Taurus quality and reliability, cartridge lethality.

You know -- the stuff that invites strong opinions, knowledgeable sharing, respectful give-and-take.

So if -- just if, mind you, because I wouldn't expect anyone to come back to this thread after such a declaration (of course) -- there is a revisit just to peek at how it was received, I would suggest:

- People are going to disagree on a lot of stuff. If you feel like the old-timers on the thread are ganging up, either grow a thicker skin, use the 'ignore' feature, or figure out how to say, 'You live your life, I'll live mine,' without being (too) insulting or slinging around drama.

- If someone takes issue with your choices, that's not on you -- unless YOU think they might be right. But there was a reason for your choice. So you do you, let them do them. Just as they won't argue you out of a decision you've put thought into, it's not likely you're going to argue them out of a decision they put thought into. (I've got enough posts on both sides of THAT comment to know).

And oh, by the way -- 1911's are safe to carry in condition one, safety on. But that's just me. Okay, not just me -- some hundreds of thousands of other people, too. But if it's not for you, I can live with that, too.

-
    Last edited by 230JHP; 05-25-2020 at 03:51 AM.
    olfarhors and GhostHorse like this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Sponsored Links