Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber

Member #
    Liked
    8365 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ShtnBlanks.22 View Post
    Make mine a double.....ACTION
    If there was a swing out cylinder, drop safe single action revolver, I'd be cool with carrying it.

Then again, I shot my first CAS match in 1994 (and I've always shot 1 handed in the matches), so it's not like thumbing a hammer back is a new concept to me. After the first couple tens of thousands of times, it becomes second nature.

On the other hand, my daily carry is DAO revolver and I don't have an issue shooting it either.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    584 times
    Easy answer...as John Browning designed it...condition 1, or as Feodor Tokarev designed his, half cock....A revolver ALWAYS has one in the chamber....

Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    I carry revolvers, always one in the pipe, why carry if you don't have one in the chamber ready to go.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    30192 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    If there is no round in the chamber, then it’s an unloaded gun.
    AMEN!
    brojohn and jtg452 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    673 times
    I started with an unloaded gun, it took me 6 months to get comfortable. I kept thinking that I wanted the advantage of surprise and chambering a round is not quiet and takes time.

Now, one is chambered with a safety on.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    http://www.mkgandhi.org/nonviolence/...he%20sword.htm

...When my eldest son asked me what he should have done, had he been present when I was almost fatally assaulted in 1908, whether he should have run away and seen me killed or whether he should have used his physical force which he could and wanted to use, and defended me, I told him that it was his duty to defend me even by using violence. Gandhi.

Member #
    Liked
    56 times
    “ Well, call me dumb, but that would be stupid since I can speak.
    I guess I'll be the lone wolf here (at least through the first three pages that have been posted so far). I rarely carry concealed, that is only a handful of times in my life (all with a TCP) and it's probably been a year since the last time. Each time was at my wife's suggestion. None of those handful of times was there a round in the chamber. The one time I open carried (decades ago) there were six rounds in the six-shooter .38. Heck, I figured if I ever did carry a revolver, I'd have the first chamber empty. At least that would be able to be operated one handed.
    The odds of me encountering anyone I need to shoot are microscopic. That's why I don't carry.
    In my estimation, the odds of an unintentional discharge are probably higher. That's why if I carry, I don't have a round at the ready.”
    Everyone has their prefernces and should know their limitations. I would raise an eyebrow at the likelihood of an AD than needing to shoot. But, I would rather explore your thinking rather than be overly critical. Most of us carry in the hope we don’t need to shoot. This is the first time I have encountered someone who believes it more likoto have an AD than shoot. AND. would carry a revolver with an empty chamber. Good luck and prayers.

Member #
    Liked
    374 times
    If you ever need it and don't have it then you are screwed. Training is what makes safety not a empty chamber.
    Go with what makes you happy but go no where it is not safe for you and yours.
    brojohn and jtg452 like this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    7993 times
    For those who would advocate a revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer:

Almost every modern double action revolver (truth be told, I can’t think of any that are not) is manufactured with a transfer bar system. That means the hammer cannot drive the firing pin into the cartridge to fire it unless the transfer bar is in place, which happens when the trigger is fully to the rear. The ‘empty chamber under the hammer’ practice came into being with revolvers that had fixed firing pins, so that the gun being dropped on the muzzle, or the hammer being struck on the rear, could (and sometimes did) fire the revolver.

In other words, carrying an empty chamber under the hammer of a modern revolver is pretty much pointless.

If you want to achieve the ‘safety’ you want as an equal to the safety of an automatic with an empty chamber, it’s not the chamber under the hammer you should carry empty – it’s the next one, the one that comes into battery with the first pull of the trigger, so that an accidental pull on the trigger would drop the hammer on an empty chamber.

Now, if you read the part about the first trigger pull of a revolver dropping the hammer on an empty chamber and think, ‘Well THAT’S dumb – what if I need the gun to shoot immediately?’ then you understand why I carry with a loaded chamber.

This is not to say that your choice of how to carry is wrong – it’s your choice, and you should carry as you want.

But you should also know what you are doing when you make that choice.
    Last edited by 230JHP; 05-14-2020 at 06:57 AM.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

"The greater part of mankind . . . walk blindfolded in this glorious theater." John Calvin

We will continue to make our republic the inspiration, the glory, and the envy of the rest of the world. As long as we are confident in our values, loyal to our citizens, and faithful to our God, there is no limit to what we can achieve. ​President Donald J. Trump, Feb 29, 2020.

Member #
    Liked
    4365 times
    My .357 revolver has seven rounds in the cylinder. They are all chambered and when the trigger is pulled there will be a round discharged.

That is all.
    pegasus and Elm Creek Smith like this.

Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    If you do not have one in the chamber, how do you expect to react in a split second? "Hold on, mister bad guy, while I use both hands to chamber a round"
    jtg452 likes this.
    JoeyS
    Gun Owner/Operator

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links