Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber - Page 3
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber

Member #
    Liked
    3649 times
    Fully loaded, cocked and locked. Thus saith Saint Cooper, thus it shall be done.

A revolver is for people who want an empty chamber or an uncocked gun.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    61 times
    Loaded. Time is of the essence, and having to draw, then rack a round, hoping you'll be ahead of your attacker, etc., could result in your demise.........
    Taurus1965 and olfarhors like this.
    U.S. Navy (Retired)1964-1984
    Cryptologic Direct Support Operator
    Vietnam Veteran (two tours)

NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Life Member since 1968

Member #
    Liked
    169 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus1965 View Post
    Have always carried with one in the chamber.

So will a SA/DA semi-auto of which there are several companies.

I have carried chambered handguns for 43 years.
    Taurus1965 and olfarhors like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    211 times
    I carry both revolvers and autos. Since revolvers are always chambered and don't have a safety, I make sure that any auto I carry also has a round chambered and no safety. I also prefer it has a strong, long, DAO trigger pull. Yes, when I read a post about someone buying a pistol with too strong of a trigger pull, I make note to try it if I can, because that's what I like.
    NativeTexan likes this.
    PT22, 85 Poly, 865, 605, M44.... what's next?!

Member #
    Liked
    313 times
    My carry pistol(s) always have a round chambered except when I clean them.
    I have more than one so I am always protected!
    olfarhors and Boheeber like this.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    20401 times
    Always a round chambered.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3632 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    Carrying an unloaded gun is dumb. If you need that pistol you are carrying, then you need it RIGHT NOW, not after you get done fiddling with it.

Remember the KISS principle and don't forget Demon Murphy, too. If it can go wrong, it will- at the worst possible time.

In this case, that would be jamming the gun while trying to chamber a round or having an ND (negligent discharge) while chambering a round. Don't forget, you are legally liable for EVERY round you fire- whether you mean to or not.

In addition, pulling a gun and chambering a round is considered an aggressive act (better known as grounds for someone else to be justified for shooting you) and, in many- if not most- states, grounds for a charge of menacing or threatening even if the confrontation goes no further.

If you aren't comfortable with carrying a particular gun with a round chambered, then maybe that gun isn't the one for you.

If you aren't comfortable with the idea of carrying ANY gun with a round chambered, then maybe concealed carry isn't something that you are prepared to do right now.
    Well, call me dumb, but that would be stupid since I can speak.

I guess I'll be the lone wolf here (at least through the first three pages that have been posted so far). I rarely carry concealed, that is only a handful of times in my life (all with a TCP) and it's probably been a year since the last time. Each time was at my wife's suggestion. None of those handful of times was there a round in the chamber. The one time I open carried (decades ago) there were six rounds in the six-shooter .38. Heck, I figured if I ever did carry a revolver, I'd have the first chamber empty. At least that would be able to be operated one handed.

The odds of me encountering anyone I need to shoot are microscopic. That's why I don't carry.

In my estimation, the odds of an unintentional discharge are probably higher. That's why if I carry, I don't have a round at the ready.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    35030 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    Well, call me dumb, but that would be stupid since I can speak.

I guess I'll be the lone wolf here (at least through the first three pages that have been posted so far). I rarely carry concealed, that is only a handful of times in my life (all with a TCP) and it's probably been a year since the last time. Each time was at my wife's suggestion. None of those handful of times was there a round in the chamber. The one time I open carried (decades ago) there were six rounds in the six-shooter .38. Heck, I figured if I ever did carry a revolver, I'd have the first chamber empty. At least that would be able to be operated one handed.

The odds of me encountering anyone I need to shoot are microscopic. That's why I don't carry.

In my estimation, the odds of an unintentional discharge are probably higher. That's why if I carry, I don't have a round at the ready.
    Not dumb, it’s just your personal method. It’s what works for you, and that’s ok.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    1438 times
    My EDC is a Striker fired Kahr P9, any type of Firearm i carry concealed is always in a quality Holster.
    They made us many promises, more than i can remember, but they never kept but one; they promised to take our land, and they took it."
    Red Cloud

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    To me, not clhambering a round when carrying feels like you are unsure of yourself and skills. Like many of you have said, you may not have the time to chamber a round or the ability to be able to.
    olfarhors, Taurus1965 and Old_Sp5 like this.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links