Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber - Page 11
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree234Likes

Thread: Conceal Carry: To chamber or not to chamber

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrederick321 View Post
    i have two carry pistols, one has a safety and i do chamber and one does not have a safety and i don't chamber.... afraid i might shoot myself....just saying
    If you aren't comfortable carrying it loaded, then why carry it at all?
    TexasAviator likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    9538 times
    I have a Kimber Pro Carry 2. While it looks like a 1911, there's no barrel bushing, so for purists, it's not really a JMB 1911. But it's a pretty good gun, and quite accurate, and I got a good deal on it. There is not a firing pin block as such. It's a firing pin shroud, which requires the hammer to overcome spring pressure. I've not noticed any appreciable difference in the trigger from any Series 70 1911. The trigger is a little rough, but is consistent with no take up and no over travel. The trigger is not as smooth as my Desert Eagle 1911C, but it seems to lack the "bad" characteristics of the series 80 blocks. While I pefer a series 70, my reasoning is the KISS principle. Fewer moving parts, less chance of failure. And the argument with regards to competition shooters needing a Series 70 is kind of moot. A light trigger is important. But to go along with the light trigger is the consistency. At least in Bullseye Competition. The gun has to go bang at the same place in the trigger travel every time, and the reset has to be the same every time.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    28445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    If you aren't comfortable carrying it loaded, then why carry it at all?
    we all have our fears, concerns, likes , dislikes??
    myself an unchambered weapon that is intended for defense is about like a stapler with no staples sitting on a desk with a pile of papers waiting to be attached together.
    just waaay to many things can go wrong when trying to chamber a gun, especially when thats under stress, excitement and drawing from a holster or concealment.
    I say this as my primary carry weapons are CZ and Sig Sauers and i still feel to many problems can arise from trying to chamber a weapon before being able to fire it.
    jtg452 and BigBlue like this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.
    Currently Professionally Retired Old Person.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    21368 times
    Various versions of the 1911 here and I carry condition 1.
    pegasus likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    I figured y'all in Europe used a chamber maid to do it anyway!
    Oooh.. do I perceive a degree of racial stereotyping here..? Of course one would hope one's valet would attend to that tedious part of the process and leave shooting the blighters to one's self. Use to be good in the old days, when the harvest was nearly done the shout would go around the estates "Serf's up.." and we'd head out with the Purdey's and Holland & Holland's for a bit of sport.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    4213 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jfrederick321 View Post
    i have two carry pistols, one has a safety and i do chamber and one does not have a safety and i don't chamber.... afraid i might shoot myself....just saying
    Welcome to the forum.

If you read the entire thread, you'll have noticed on one of the first few pages it was stated that carrying an unloaded gun is dumb. I rarely carry, but I too don't put one in the chamber. No amount of being called dumb or untrained or unsure of myself is going to change that. The way I see it, if someone were to sneak up on me and hit me in the head, I couldn't draw, let alone chamber a round. Statistically, I will never need a gun in public. I'll never be trained and practiced enough to compete in any quick draw competition. I'm comfortable with the way I (infrequently) carry and I cannot be offended, so I don't care what anyone says or infers about my ability. I hope you feel comfortable with yourself, despite the goading of others.

Member #
    Liked
    28445 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    Oooh.. do I perceive a degree of racial stereotyping here..? Of course one would hope one's valet would attend to that tedious part of the process and leave shooting the blighters to one's self. Use to be good in the old days, when the harvest was nearly done the shout would go around the estates "Serf's up.." and we'd head out with the Purdey's and Holland & Holland's for a bit of sport.
    MY MAN GODFREY actually chambers all my weapons that i am going to tote each day before i leave out, doesn't everyones MAN do that for them?
    DeltaBravoKS likes this.
    Retired Firefighter, Advanced Georgia Master Gardener, Hazardous Material Response Member, Certified Hazardous Material Incident Commander, 1911 Addict and General Gun Lover.

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    1949 times
    Quote Originally Posted by olfarhors View Post
    MY MAN GODFREY actually chambers all my weapons that i am going to tote each day before i leave out, doesn't everyones MAN do that for them?
    Actually some people do have a 'man' for that purpose. I believe the name 'Paul' is common amongst such chaps. Indeed the position of 'loader' is such an esteemed one that it warrants a special chair to convey said 'Paul' around the estate. And the chaps who manhandled and carried the loader, called Paul, were known, commonly, as Paul Bearers..

My 'man' is called Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh. A fine old British name, but don't get your neck in a twist because it's pronounced Chumley Fanshaw. (I kid you not).
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    28445 times
    Actually Godfreys main purpose besides driving the Limo where I want to go , is carrying my Over and Under shotguns and my double rifles when i go to shoot skeet.
    but he does a fine job loading pistol chambers as well.
    ManxTom likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8560 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ManxTom View Post
    My 'man' is called Cholmondeley Featherstonehaugh. A fine old British name, but don't get your neck in a twist because it's pronounced Chumley Fanshaw. (I kid you not).
    It's amazing what the English have done to mangle the English language.

Unless he's Welsh. We all know the Welsh just make up the spelling of words to confuse the rest of the world.

And ya'll make fun of us 'colonials'!
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links