Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Your EDC and how you get authority to carry..

8K views 76 replies 45 participants last post by  OldManBryson 
#1 ·
I'm curious as to how you guys, who carry firearms on a regular basis, get the authority to do so. Now I am aware that, given there could be 50 different and or individual State criterion, training and courses may well differ dependent on where you live.

So, with that in mind, pray tell an old guy from the Old Country what your courses consist of. Going armed on a daily basis is so unimaginable here. There would be social, ethical and moral implications to deal with. Believe me I fully understand the weight of responsibility you must carry; my only experience in relation to that comes from Army service back in the '70's in Northern Ireland (and I ended up doing four tours of the province..!!).

I am also aware of the many 'training' establishments that abound in the US. I never managed to get there myself for one reason or another, but I have good friends who used to go to Tac Pro Shooting Centre in Texas (and run by a former British Royal Marine..!! ).

Tell all..

#2 ·
In Kentucky, you go into a gun store, fill out a federally required form, present ID, and a background check is initiated at the point of sale. In the vast majority of cases, it's approved within ten minutes. You then pay for your gun, load it, and stick it in your pocket. If you really want to be fancy (like me), you pay 80 bucks, go to a video course presented by an attorney, and shoot 20 rounds into a man shaped target at 7 yards. If you hit the target 11 times out of 20, you get a permit. The Kentucky State Police reviews that permit every 30 days, and will make you turn it in if you've been convicted of a crime in the last month. The permit allows you to buy the gun without a background check. In my local area, I'd say about 40 percent of the people are carrying concealed. You often see a gun unintentionally exposed by someone reaching. In theory, a local chicken joint/bar bans the carry of weapons union entry. In fact, they say nothing if you don't sit at the bar. I see many ranch hands in the restaurant openly carrying handguns. I believe it's the safest place in public in the state.

#3 ·
You go to the Sheriff's department, or hit their website online, fill out an application, pay them $20, and wait.

In about 4 weeks, you get your permit in the mail complete with your latest driver's license pic on it. You can get a permit for up to 5 years.

The permit just means that you can carry a gun in public- as long as you don't do anything stupid.

#4 ·
In New Mexico you fill out the same federal form that Fredward mentioned, then wait while the federal firearms licensed (FFL) gun store employee calls it in to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). After a period of a few to 10 minutes (normal time) NICS verifies that it's okay for you to purchase a firearm. Then you complete the financial part of the transaction and the gun is yours.

New Mexico allows open carry of firearms without a license. If you want to carry concealed, you must complete an approved 2-day course, which consists of classroom and live fire at a range, then wait for your concealed carry license to arrive in the mail (90 days or less).

We rather enjoy our Second Amendment to the Constitution here, in spite of efforts to curtail it.

#6 ·
State: Kansas
Authority: Birth

I don't carry a gun regularly (in fact very rarely, and always at the suggestion of my wife). We need no permission from the government to carry a weapon, whether open or concealed. Our authority comes from being born.

#7 ·
Florida for the most part requires a basic course with a live fire portion. That live portion version is very basic. My class one by one we walked into the indoor range and fired one round down range at a target. Did not matter if you hit the target. I heard some classes you place the gun in a hole in a bullet trap and fire it, no aiming or anything. There are certain instances in Florida where you do not need to take the course.Ex Military, Ex law enforcement and I think by completing a hunter safety course.

Reactions: MOONDAWG and darbo
#10 ·
Alabama.

There's no set state law as to what the specific requirements are. They leave the decision as to what the specific requirements are to the County Sheriff (so there's over 40 different sets of requirements, theoretically) and you must get your permit in your county of residence. We also don't do out of state permits.

In my county (and most other counties in the state from what I've heard), there's a background check. That's it. No fingerprints, stool samples, letters from your Mom, proving that you can hit the broad side of a barn from the inside,.... required. If you can buy a gun legally, you can get a permit to carry it.

On the other hand, if you screw up with it once you get a permit, they don't cut any slack and you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and they are quick to revoke a permit, too.

In other words, they expect those that get a permit to know and follow the law, possess the proper skill set to make use of a firearm and act accordingly whilst in public.

It's almost like they are treating responsible adults like responsible adults, ain't it?

#49 · (Edited)
I don't know what State of Alabama you're from but in the Alabama I'm in, the State makes all gun laws and no locality is allowed by State law to make any law concerning guns contrary to State law except to not allow firing a gun in the city limits. Alabama is a "Must Issue" state which means the Sheriff must issue a permit unless you don't meet the criteria set by the State which follows federal criteria. To get a permit requires a background check. Unless forbidden by Federal law you can buy a gun in Alabama. You must pass background check for all gun purchases. No background check required for ammunition. You can OPEN CARRY in Alabama without a permit. You must have a permit to conceal carry, or to carry loaded and accessible in an automobile or on a motorcycle, on land not your own. No training is required for gun ownership or for permit.

#11 ·
Oregon

I had to take a class and pass a test, and got a certificate. Then I had to fill out an application, made an appointment with the county sheriff's office, brought the test certificate, application, and a check for $50 and handed it to the old ladies working the permit room. Had my picture taken at the same time. 3 weeks later I got a permit in the mail that allows me to carry a concealed firearm.

#12 · (Edited)
Ohio

1. Have to be 21 or older.
2. Can never have been found guilty of domestic violence or a crime you could have served more than a year, even if it was 1 more day.
3. Resident of Ohio and US citizen.
4. Take an 8 hour course by a state approved trainer to receive a certificate.
5. Download the Ohio application and fill it out completely and take to your local sheriff office or adjoining county.
5. submit to having your fingerprints taken electronically.
6. NICS background check.
7. $60 first five years, $50 for renewal.

In short, it's simple.

I might have forgotten a step or two, but Ohio is a "Shall" certify state if you have nothing in your background to prohibit ownership or carry of a firearm. Interestingly enough, renewals were down 15% until Covid-19. Classes are getting booked up. Extra training is up to the individual in this state. The classes I help out at, people get an introductory to level 1 training over a 2 day course and then get their certificate to take to the Sheriffs department.

My defensive shotgun class for August was cancelled. Mostly because the trainer couldn't guarantee rescheduled bookings. It's a refresher so no loss. Sad part, I shoot and train/practice more than some of our local LEO's.

Maloy

#13 · (Edited)
There is no authority in Missouri. If you're a law abiding citizen you can carry, no permit needed. I do maintain a concealed carry permit so I can carry in States that require it.
The wife and have taken the state approved CCW course and buy Clint Smith's training videos. We shoot regularly with the objective of different scenarios. Plus my Dad was a cop and started training us as toddlers. The the Navy helped as well.

#14 ·
If you really want to learn about the USA visit this link, click on each state and you can learn everything you need to know about that state.

https://www.handgunlaw.us/

#16 · (Edited)
Duhh, I'm a united states citizen so
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
so the constitution grant me all I need and the courts will have to back me up in states that unlawfully infringe my right. I am in a constitutional carry state and have a carry permit that 38 states Reciprocate and a few states that are constitutional carry as well so I'm good in over 40 states. I do not travel much if at all to unlawful states that infringe my rights. But being American means you do what you have to and let the chip fall. I'm not afraid to be American and if you're dumb enough not to be afraid of taking my freedom and right you should have been. I don't run. Nor do the people around me. That is why my state up holds the constitution. I'm not going to run it up the flag pole when I carry in California but, If California gives me grief about carrying I'll run the flag pole up their nose.

#20 ·
It's funny that Corona virus came in through California and the biggest hot spots are on the west coast and New York. I mean, you'd think the virus is avenging usurpers of the constitution or something. :rofl:

#22 ·
Arkansas

CCW - Carry Concealed Weapon license - One day class (Saturday) includes qualifying with your handgun on a range. 'Qualifying' includes a mag change or reload. If you qualify with a pistol, you can carry either a pistol or revolver, qualify with a revolver, revolver only carry. Your CCW license is nearly identical to drivers license in style and thickness (laminated) with your picture ID on it. If pulled over while carrying, hand the officer your drivers license, your car insurance card, and your CCW. If you don't show them your gun, they won't show your theirs.

With your CCW, firearm purchases have a NICS check first, then cash and carry. Without a CCW, there is a wait period, not sure what that is.

#25 ·
In Pennsylvania it depends on how you want to carry your gun. If it's to be concealed or loaded when your in a vehicle you must obtain a concealed carry permit. Which is just a matter of paying a small fee once every 5 years and filling out a form at the county sheriff's office. They run a background check on you and if everything looks good you get your permit in the mail. If you only want to carry openly, Pennsylvania has no law restricting such manner of carry. Philadelphia is the only exception and does require a carry permit for either type of carry.

Reactions: CaptainMorgan
#26 · (Edited)
In Texas You take a 4 hour class from a licensed instructor, qualify on the range with a 50 round course of fire, fill out Your paper work and submit it to the department of public safety with 2 passport photos and a set of fingerprints along with a check or money order for the State fee I believe in now $40 and wait for an extensive background check to be completed.
If You don't have any felonies or anything above a class c misdemeanor no domestic violence charges and acouple of other things I've forgotten, You should receive Your License to carry in the mail within 90 days, mine came in 6 weeks.

#28 ·
ILLinois

Probably the most stringent of the "shall issue" states. That designator means that if a person doesn't check the felon box that the state shall issue the permit. This is as opposed to the "may issue" states where a person can get a permit if they can show a reason to need it or has political influence.

The law calls for two days of class and a live fire exercise which is scored at 5,,7 & ten yards...10 rounds each distance and 70% in the black portion of a B27 target. If a person has prior military or LE experience one day of class is omitted.

After supplying fingerprints and paying the 150.00 the permit arrives in 60-180 days. That's over and above the cost of the class which is another 100-150.00. The permit is good for five years and upon renewal another class and live fire is required. So it costs a citizen about 350.00 to exercise their 2nd amendment rights every five years.

#29 ·
State of Texas. As far as me and many others are concerned, carrying and gun ownership are God given rights guaranteed by the second amendment of the Constitution. We may have gotten a lot of ideas from the Magna Carta on your side of the pond, but our Constitution is a wholly unique document that has allowed our citizens to continue to defend themselves 240 years after the document was ratified. If you live in a state that doesn't squash these rights, then life is good in America.

Texas requires a 6 hour class and passing a written exam and a shooting exam. That is sent into the state and a few weeks later, you get your License To Carry (LTC).

I carry three different guns, a S&W Shield 9mm, a Springfield XD Mod2 in 45acp, and a Taurus 617 snubby in 357 magnum. I don't carry them all at the same time though. :D

#32 ·
Reactions: texastaurusguy
#34 · (Edited)
Michigan requires a training course which includes a wee bit of range time (to make sure that the shooter realizes that the bullets come out of the pointy end) and classroom time. The classroom time does discuss tactics and situational awareness, but spends most of the time talking about the legal and ethical ramifications of carry. Pass the course, go to the government, get finger printed, record checked, and depleted of money and in a couple of weeks you get a plastic card that recognizes your right to carry concealed. All in all, expect to spend about $200. Michigan is an open carry state and as long as you don't conceal, you don't have to do any of that, just strap on a holster.
Does it match up with the TV shows of either the Olde West or gang-plagued cities. No and, well maybe.
There are very few incidents involving Concealed Pistol License holders. Unfortunately the number is greater than zero, but as a group, license holders are an extremely peaceable group.

#35 ·
If you are really interested in the 50 shades of Concealed Carry, check this website out: https://handgunlaw.us/ . Gary Slicker does a phenomenal job of keeping this updated. The only real definitive way of knowing all the nuances is to explore each states laws in depth. For example, in Ohio, where I live, it's the State's Attorney General who defines the laws for carry. It's probably that way in most states, but 50 states have 50 different sets of codes. And they change quite frequently.

#36 ·
Please excuse those who show their immaturity by claiming that our Constitution is all the authority they need. It's quite simply not true.

What is required does vary greatly from location to location and honestly almost moment to moment. There simply is no overriding authority relating to firearms in the US.

We also face all the same social, ethical and moral implications you good folk experience and so even when legal, what is acceptable in one location and one time will vary; legal and acceptable are simply not synonymous.

I've only experienced a few of the training requirements but honestly I found them to be really inadequate and almost laughable. Most of the people I know that also carry regularly hold themselves to far higher standards than what is required. In most cases I've experienced the requirements related to law and practice have been minimal, the requirements for proficiency very minimal and almost no requirements regarding safety or maintenance. Also, none of the licensing I've experienced had any requirement for re-certification.

I wish we placed higher standards of testing and also added a reasonable re-certification interval.

#38 ·
In Tennessee to get my Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) I took an 8 hour course then went to the Dept of Motor Vehicles (driver licenses) to apply, then fingerprints at another location and the info is submitted to the Dept. of Safety for background checks.
May take a couple of weeks to months to be approved, depending on work load or pandemic.

#39 ·
Most states interpret the law (the 2nd amendment to our Constitution) to mean that the state "Shall issue" permits; meaning that as long as you have no felony convictions, and are of sound mind (not under psychiatric care or medications), you are allowed to have a permit.

Some states interpret the law that the state "May issue" permits; meaning they can be selective in who they give permits to. They make it hard, and you have to show a valid need to have a permit (private investigator, diamond transporter, celebrity that has received death threats). These states are Massachusettes, New York, New Jersey, and California. A few states make it a little hard, but if you're persistant you can get a permit.

Each state has their own requirements to get a Concealed Carry Weapon permit (CCW). Again, some hard, some easy.
In Nevada, I had to attend 8 hours of classroom instruction, and pass a qualification at a shooting range.
The class was easy, as was the qualification; but it did weed out the complete morons and totally inept.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.