Your EDC and how you get authority to carry..
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Your EDC and how you get authority to carry..

Member #
    Isle of Man. Which is GB but NOT UK. Home of the world's biggest motorcycle races
    Liked
    908 times

Question Your EDC and how you get authority to carry..

I'm curious as to how you guys, who carry firearms on a regular basis, get the authority to do so. Now I am aware that, given there could be 50 different and or individual State criterion, training and courses may well differ dependent on where you live.

So, with that in mind, pray tell an old guy from the Old Country what your courses consist of. Going armed on a daily basis is so unimaginable here. There would be social, ethical and moral implications to deal with. Believe me I fully understand the weight of responsibility you must carry; my only experience in relation to that comes from Army service back in the '70's in Northern Ireland (and I ended up doing four tours of the province..!!).

I am also aware of the many 'training' establishments that abound in the US. I never managed to get there myself for one reason or another, but I have good friends who used to go to Tac Pro Shooting Centre in Texas (and run by a former British Royal Marine..!! ).

Tell all..
    darbo, sig_230 and 777Driver like this.
    Happiness is like peeing your pants. Everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Member #
    Liked
    2427 times
    In Kentucky, you go into a gun store, fill out a federally required form, present ID, and a background check is initiated at the point of sale. In the vast majority of cases, it's approved within ten minutes. You then pay for your gun, load it, and stick it in your pocket. If you really want to be fancy (like me), you pay 80 bucks, go to a video course presented by an attorney, and shoot 20 rounds into a man shaped target at 7 yards. If you hit the target 11 times out of 20, you get a permit. The Kentucky State Police reviews that permit every 30 days, and will make you turn it in if you've been convicted of a crime in the last month. The permit allows you to buy the gun without a background check. In my local area, I'd say about 40 percent of the people are carrying concealed. You often see a gun unintentionally exposed by someone reaching. In theory, a local chicken joint/bar bans the carry of weapons union entry. In fact, they say nothing if you don't sit at the bar. I see many ranch hands in the restaurant openly carrying handguns. I believe it's the safest place in public in the state.

Member #
    Liked
    8098 times
    You go to the Sheriff's department, or hit their website online, fill out an application, pay them $20, and wait.

In about 4 weeks, you get your permit in the mail complete with your latest driver's license pic on it. You can get a permit for up to 5 years.

The permit just means that you can carry a gun in public- as long as you don't do anything stupid.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20868 times
    In New Mexico you fill out the same federal form that Fredward mentioned, then wait while the federal firearms licensed (FFL) gun store employee calls it in to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). After a period of a few to 10 minutes (normal time) NICS verifies that it's okay for you to purchase a firearm. Then you complete the financial part of the transaction and the gun is yours.

New Mexico allows open carry of firearms without a license. If you want to carry concealed, you must complete an approved 2-day course, which consists of classroom and live fire at a range, then wait for your concealed carry license to arrive in the mail (90 days or less).

We rather enjoy our Second Amendment to the Constitution here, in spite of efforts to curtail it.
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20868 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jtg452 View Post
    You go to the Sheriff's department, or hit their website online, fill out an application, pay them $20, and wait.

In about 4 weeks, you get your permit in the mail complete with your latest driver's license pic on it. You can get a permit for up to 5 years.

The permit just means that you can carry a gun in public- as long as you don't do anything stupid.

Which state do you live in?
    Every man should own a fine firearm, a fine knife and a fine watch.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3412 times
    State: Kansas
    Authority: Birth

I don't carry a gun regularly (in fact very rarely, and always at the suggestion of my wife). We need no permission from the government to carry a weapon, whether open or concealed. Our authority comes from being born.
    BigBlue and Konyo312 like this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    47116 times
    Florida for the most part requires a basic course with a live fire portion. That live portion version is very basic. My class one by one we walked into the indoor range and fired one round down range at a target. Did not matter if you hit the target. I heard some classes you place the gun in a hole in a bullet trap and fire it, no aiming or anything. There are certain instances in Florida where you do not need to take the course.Ex Military, Ex law enforcement and I think by completing a hunter safety course.
    darbo and MOONDAWG like this.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    Florida for the most part requires a basic course with a live fire portion. That live portion version is very basic. My class one by one we walked into the indoor range and fired one round down range at a target. Did not matter if you hit the target. I heard some classes you place the gun in a hole in a bullet trap and fire it, no aiming or anything. There are certain instances in Florida where you do not need to take the course.Ex Military, Ex law enforcement and I think by completing a hunter safety course.
    Yes, hunter safety course, even if it was taken in another State.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Member #
    Liked
    20123 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishinkeylargo View Post
    I'll add that you have to fill out some paperwork, photo, and fingerprints along with money...I forget how much.
    Fishinkeylargo likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8098 times
    Alabama.

There's no set state law as to what the specific requirements are. They leave the decision as to what the specific requirements are to the County Sheriff (so there's over 40 different sets of requirements, theoretically) and you must get your permit in your county of residence. We also don't do out of state permits.

In my county (and most other counties in the state from what I've heard), there's a background check. That's it. No fingerprints, stool samples, letters from your Mom, proving that you can hit the broad side of a barn from the inside,.... required. If you can buy a gun legally, you can get a permit to carry it.

On the other hand, if you screw up with it once you get a permit, they don't cut any slack and you will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and they are quick to revoke a permit, too.

In other words, they expect those that get a permit to know and follow the law, possess the proper skill set to make use of a firearm and act accordingly whilst in public.

It's almost like they are treating responsible adults like responsible adults, ain't it?
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links