Why I won't Open Carry
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Why I won't Open Carry

Member #
    Liked
    277 times

Why I won't Open Carry

Open Carry. Sure, I can do it, and I've done it before, but these days I just prefer not to. Once I would welcome the comments, positive and negative, and sometimes enjoy the ensuing debate, but I feel it causes more trouble than it's worth at this point in my life. I don't want to 'make a statement' or 'get the sheep used to it' (never going change their mind anyhow) I just want a nice, quiet, low-drama life, that's all.

Open Carry -

'Look mommy, he has a GUN!'

'Oh, tough guy with a gun, whatcha gonna do now, huh?'

'OMG A GUN! I'm calling the police'

'Why do you need a gun at a _________?'

All of these are just unnecessary problems I don't need, that likely wouldn't happen in the first place if they couldn't see it. Then there's the element of surprise one has with a concealed firearm if it's ever needed...and keeping it 'out of sight, out of mind' can negate potential gun grabbers. I know the odds of someone going for a gun are low, but it HAS happened before, why risk even the slightest chance of it?

Just my thoughts about it. Everyone makes their own choice, of course.

Member #
    Liked
    24907 times
    ^^^^^^^^^^ +1000
    Yissnakk and Old_Sp5 like this.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    20061 times
    I don't open carry as much as I used to, but that's due to more business that have changed their stance on open carry. I do still however carry open if my business is not taking me to businesses that locations that prohibit OC.

Of all the times that I have OC I have never been confronted about doing so. I have received a look or two, to which I have simply nodded back towards. I will not stop carrying simply due the paranoia of those who don't want to understand or accept my legal right to do so.

If some one wants to call the police, I have no issue with that. Lets turn it into an educational situation.

If asked why do I need a gun, I will reply that I hope that I don't need a gun. But, if I do will also protect you as well as myself.

Tough guy with a gun, now what are you going to do...keep on walking and stay aware of my surroundings. If provocation requires it, I'll dial 911.

I have mentioned it before, it's not always about your choice to open carry, it's more about how you present yourself and demeanor when you open carry that will draw attention or acceptance in public.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9463 times
    Don't carry open very often. I like the element of surprise. There are those who open carry to make a statement. Others because it's convenient. If I do, it's because of the latter rather than the former.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    7874 times
    The only time I "open carry" is winter when I have a coat on that still provides concealment but would hinder me getting to an IWB carry. For me, the whole point is that it's concealed so any potential BG's don't see me as a target. Just another harmless bloke out shopping. I also don't feel the need to make any statements just because...
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    2919 times
    The only few times I open carry is when I go for a walk in the woods.

I never open carry in public. It's just not the smartest move.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    81 times
    In todays world the element of supprise is often overlooked..
    I always carry concealed wherever I go..
    I was at Kroger yesterday & as I was walking in a guy came out with a pistol on his hip, It's against thier store policy to carry open, I just reached back & put my hand on mine & looked at him & walked on.. My Son works at this Kroger BTW..
    They all know my take on this but this was caused by others who open carry.. One of my many NRA hats or shirts I'm sure..
    They have never seen my guns..
    Doc Holliday likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    383 times
    I do not want anyone knowing I am carrying that is why I do not open carry.
    Shut up and reload!

Member #
    Liked
    2630 times
    Only time I OC is if I'm in the woods or trails with one of my revolvers too big to comfortably CC.
    If you see me around town, I'm pocket carrying the TCP.
    And I never wear tees, hats, belt buckles or anything else advertising or promoting firearms. I don't have any desire to stand out from the crowd.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid."

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3953 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctordeere View Post
    Only time I OC is if I'm in the woods or trails with one of my revolvers too big to comfortably CC.
    If you see me around town, I'm pocket carrying the TCP.
    And I never wear tees, hats, belt buckles or anything else advertising or promoting firearms. I don't have any desire to stand out from the crowd.
    I've only open carried once in my lifetime. That was as a teenager on the way to the Sheriff's range with my dad. I do, however, stand out in the crowd as the lucky guy holding hands with a beautiful woman!
    ANALOG KID likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links