Winter Carry Load?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Winter Carry Load?

Member #
    Liked
    332 times

Winter Carry Load?

I was cleaning my PT111 G2 after the last trip to the range and was thinking about what to reload in the mags.

Since it is definitely winter here now and almost everyone has on a winter type coat or heavy sweater I briefly considered loading 9mm ball. After some thought I settled on 147 grain HST HP rather than the 124 grain HST HP I had shot at the range.

Good choice for winter carry or no?

What are your thoughts on changing your carry loads depending on the season and what most people around you will be wearing?
    Yissnakk likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    31860 times
    I don't think my 115s would bounce off. Of course, I'm in south Texas. Winter is relative.
    Yissnakk and ICUKev like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Sounds like a solid choice to me. However, you really don't have to worry that much. Bullets failing to penetrate winter clothing is practically an Urban Legend nowadays. Honestly, watch these...

If clothing can't stop a .22LR, then it most certainly can't stop 9mm Luger.

Personally, I carry Hornady American Gunner 180gr XTPs in my Smith & Wesson SIGMA SW40VE.

Admittedly, XTPs are deep penetrating bullets, especially in 180gr .40 S&W. However, I'm not carrying them because I'm concerned about Winter Clothing impeding performance, but rather because of an increasing amount of wild predatory animal sightings in my area.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33999 times
    Year round, I carry the same 180gr Remington JHP, in my most carried 40 cal. I see no need to change for seasons.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    7936 times
    You're overthinking it.

The only anecdotal evidence I know of the 9mm lacking penetration was a 90gr load the Germans came up with during WWII- and that was only on the Eastern Front during the winter against Soviet troops wearing multiple layers under frozen overcoats.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    30000 times
    No offense intended to the OP, but I spent 46 years 8 months in Law Enforcement in one county and two federal law enforcement agencies.

In each we carried the same ammo year round. I urge you all to check with your city, county or state agencies and you'll get the same answer.

I don't know where this seasonal phenomenal started, but if it were true winter jackets would be cheaper than the best body armor.
    Last edited by MOONDAWG; 01-20-2020 at 06:17 PM.
    Tracker627 and jwc007 like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    34680 times
    Take it for what it's worth, no lab coats involved here but I found this interesting. Shooting through several layers of clothing and a rack of ribs appears to have resulted in increased penetration with .380 HPs. The good part starts around 2:32.

Tracker627, dogchild and MOONDAWG like this.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32151 times
    The advent of the 'wonder' hollowpoints that are on the market now, really make seasonal planning unnecessary. The good hollowpoints should expand reliably no matter how many layers of clothing they have to go through.
    Tracker627 and jwc007 like this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    2431 times
    Yep, at most shooting through barriers only increases penetration by plugging up the hollow point's cavity, thus essentially making it function as an FMJ.

I carried .380 ACP as a primary self-defense cartridge with the utmost confidence up until last year when an increasing number of reports of wild animals appearing in my residential area, over the past few years finally convinced me then the weather permits it, I really ought to be carrying something a bit more potent.

Honestly, the only time I ever heard anyone claim that .380 ACP wouldn't penetrate a Winter Coat came from a guy whom I can only presume was drunk because his anecdotal evidence was a story in which he and a friend were headed out of a liquor store when they were suddenly accosted by a man in the parking lot, resulting in his friend shooting the guy point blank with a Bersa Thunder 380, but the bullet bounced right off the guy's jacket and they ended up having to wrestle the guy to the ground together. As legitimate as that tale seems and as trustworthy of a source some guy on a forum who had admittedly been drinking at the time is, I just couldn't discount all of the evidence to the contrary.
    Wait, I just remembered another story I read on another forum about how some guy's brother-in-law's friend had supposedly been shot with a .380 by his girlfriend's redneck father when he caught them messing around, but the bullet allegedly was stopped by his leather belt, leaving him with little more than a bruise. Oh, and supposedly that guy went on to marry that girl, in spite of being shot by her father. I dunno, maybe it was a Shotgun Wedding? *shrugs*
    Either way, as convincing as it may seem, I just couldn't quite bring myself to accept their testimony.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    3225 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    Sounds like a solid choice to me. However, you really don't have to worry that much. Bullets failing to penetrate winter clothing is practically an Urban Legend nowadays. Honestly, watch these...

If clothing can't stop a .22LR, then it most certainly can't stop 9mm Luger.

Personally, I carry Hornady American Gunner 180gr XTPs in my Smith & Wesson SIGMA SW40VE.

Admittedly, XTPs are deep penetrating bullets, especially in 180gr .40 S&W. However, I'm not carrying them because I'm concerned about Winter Clothing impeding performance, but rather because of an increasing amount of wild predatory animal sightings in my area.
    But...are the wild predatory animals wearing Carhartt jackets???
    Yissnakk likes this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links