Thought provoking article about open carry
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Thought provoking article about open carry

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times

Thought provoking article about open carry

I have to say I agree with everything the writer here states. I'm more on the fence about handgun open carry, but I see zero reason for long gun open carry other than to potentially cause a scene.

https://tinkertalksguns.wordpress.co...7g5mMjki0EovdQ
    jtg452, bjrjar, olfarhors and 8 others like this.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"My Administration is running like a well oiled machine." - The Donald

Member #
    Liked
    4632 times
    Just because you can doesn't mean you should. We can use any number of characterizations but he's Ok according to the letter of the law.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20396 times
    Well! I finally see eye to eye with the Zen man! (You are a dude aren’t ya?)

I choose to open carry . . . . my sidearm! I would never walk around with my AR or AK slung over the shoulder. Hell, I wouldn’t even carry my (much more civilized looking) Henry lever gun slung over my shoulder . . . except in the woods where I would hunt with it. In fact, would never carry any of my long arms in public like the feller in the article is doing. And even when I’m OCing a sidearm (OWB holster) I still tend to wear a long shirt or jacket which can skirt over it. I don’t care if it’s seen but, then, neither do many folks walking around with theirs. But, I gotta agree that folks like that dude in the picture ain’t helping the gun culture cause.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    Well! I finally see eye to eye with the Zen man! (You are a dude aren’t ya?)
    I am. And I've been known to abide as well.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Member #
    Liked
    118 times
    Why give up the element of surprise? Imagine you are a nutjob bad guy and think about who you’re gonna take out first — the biggest threat to your ability to shoot ‘em all — the one who might shoot back...

Personally I am 100% in favor of concealed carry, but can’t justify calling attention to myself. This open carry demonstrator will almost certainly not impress the average voters who are already being propagandized to fear AR15 owners by the media. This guy is just feeding the flames of hysteria and will provide exactly the undesirable reaction the media loves.

At one time Kaliforniastan was legal open carry if unloaded. What eliminated that was exactly this kind of crap.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Member #
    Liked
    3942 times
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrjar View Post
    Why give up the element of surprise? Imagine you are a nutjob bad guy and think about who you’re gonna take out first — the biggest threat to your ability to shoot ‘em all — the one who might shoot back...

Personally I am 100% in favor of concealed carry, but can’t justify calling attention to myself. This open carry demonstrator will almost certainly not impress the average voters who are already being propagandized to fear AR15 owners by the media. This guy is just feeding the flames of hysteria and will provide exactly the undesirable reaction the media loves.

At one time Kaliforniastan was legal open carry if unloaded. What eliminated that was exactly this kind of crap.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I agree. Everyone of these mass shooters went into the situation knowing that it was probably going to be their last day on earth. Seeing an AR slung over someones shoulder I can't imagine is going to be the dissuading factor to cease their mayhem. More likely, target #1 has just identified themselves with a neon sign proclaiming "Put one in the back of my melon".

Member #
    Liked
    5359 times
    I have no problem with open carry of a pistol.... aand a standard size one. Rifles, oversize AR or AK type pistols or the sub gun looking ones like the Sig MCX or the CZ Scorpion type is just looking for attention and doesn't impress anyone. I prefer concealed carry as it's discrete and doesn't let anyone know my business.

Member #
    Liked
    547 times
    It's been legal in Texas to carry a rifle or a shotgun forever...literally since Hector was a pup I could carry any long gun I wanted anywhere I wanted. But I never did and I never saw anybody else do it either unless they were some protester down in Austin (or Arlington) trying to make a point. I'd be afraid to now just because of concealed carry. Someone could mistake me exercising my open carry rifle as some nutjob fixing to shoot up the joint.

Open carry sidearms...ok. But I could count on one hand the people I've seen doing it since it became law. I'd rather conceal rather than reveal.

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2203 times
    It's legal to do this in Texas too. In fact, a couple of years back we had a couple of young idiots who kept getting their pictures in the paper by doing just that in restaurants in the Dallas area. My argument against it was that if I was sitting in the restaurant with my wife and those two fools walked in carrying their AR/AKs at the low ready, my pistol would be cleared of leather, in my hand under the table with the safety off. At that point those two dumb kids would have been 2 seconds and one stupid move from being shot at.

It may be legal but it's still stupid.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8312 times
    I think that the reason for rifles is mostly for hunting. I know in rural areas during hunting season it's very common to see folks entering stores with a long gun.

I also know that the law was put in place after one of the Hurricanes where people carried their rifle to protect themselves and what was left of their homes.

I think carrying a long gun in public when no natural disaster or it's hunting season is seriously dangerous and wearing camo and combat vest is just asking for trouble! JMO

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links