Thought provoking article about open carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Thought provoking article about open carry

Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    If more folks did it, it wouldn't be strange.
    RScottie likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    1548 times
    First: Good article, good points, and I agree, "just because we CAN does not necessarily make it a good idea." Thanks to ZA for bringing this up.

Second: It is a consideration for all. Not every soccer mom will see things the same way the gun fraternity does. OPTICS is the current word in the political sphere, and the dude strolling among the customers at the farmer's market is not portraying the general Second Amendment true believer in a very good light. We are all "smeared" by association in the minds of those who may originally have been on the fence or even with us somewhat, but have somehow, been put off by the spectacle (spectre) of a man with a rifle which the media has been harping on . People in general, have been indoctrinated to become very nervous when a "civilian" is armed in public.

Third: I carry, but concealed. I see - for me, anyway - no advantage in displaying the fact that I am carrying. I also have the notion that it may be less to my favor to have the presence of that firearm on my person known and observed. "Nobody's business but my own".

If I have a political point to make I have done it by visiting my legislators in their offices, by writing letters, op-eds, and by appearing on live TV to express my views and to debate the laws.
    Czechbikr, Zen Ape and bjrjar like this.
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2517 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I agree with the author of that article. I agree with Zen. I agree with daytonaredeye. I agree with the dude, although you can keep your White Russian and pour me a rye, neat.

Now, DeltaB; we advocate good judgement and self control. Absolutely. No one that I read talked about banning anything. What were saying is just because you can doesn't mean you should. I don't believe in going to a UK-style staggered motorcycle licensing program, but I'm not buying my speed-happy daughter a 200 HP BMW sportbike as her first motorcycle. I can, she could legally ride it, and it's a really bad idea that no one would gain from. Make sense?
    Okay, I see. While I didn't use the term "banned" or any form of the word, I did say "stopped". It seems like lots of folks on this gun board think it is a bad idea to carry open (mostly talk of rifle) but no one mentioned prohibiting it.

I guess it is like free speech. An idiot can stand on the street corner and say the world is ending. Most of us wouldn't do that. Most of us would say he's an idiot. But most of us wouldn't want it made illegal. I stand (well, sit, actually) corrected.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    33512 times
    When laws don't apply, etiquette should.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    21643 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    When laws don't apply, etiquette should.

Etiquette?
    In today's society?
    Well good luck with that.
    I've lived through some very turbulent times and I've never
    seen a more angry, self centered vindictive atmosphere.
    I am just thankful that I am old and know everything.
    Remember:
    Life is short.
    Make sure you spend as much time as possible
    on the internet arguing with strangers about politics.

Member #
    Liked
    4629 times
    If we listed the reasons we carry what we carry and why we carry it, we would probably break the Internet. There have been some good words posted in this thread: "Manners", "Etiquette", "Logic." Like it or not, agree with it or not, the media frenzy about guns in general has sensitized the majority of people to flee at the merest hint of one. I believe there are areas and regions where open carry doesn't rate a second glance where at others it would cause a stampede.
    Smokewagon and Flash60601 like this.
    Whatever adjective or verb comes to mind, I am...NotSo.

One of my goals in life is to shoot more people on purpose than I do by accident. So far, so good.

Member #
    Liked
    2276 times
    Open carry is legal in my state and thus for the longest time I was able to mostly get by with open carry, but then again, my primary carry was the rather inoffensive-looking Walther PPK/S. However, with the increasingly negative reactions folks are having towards open carry and silly restrictions like open carry inside a vehicle equals concealed carry, not to mention my recent acquisition of the extremely concealable Ruger LCP, I decided it was time to get my License. So now I just concealed carry, it's more convenient this way and now I don't have to worry about snowflakes getting melted in the soft, warm, comforting glow emitted by my stainless carry pieces gleaming in the sunshine.

It's a shame that we no longer live in a world in which open carry is the hallmark of an honest, law-abiding citizen with nothing to hide.
    slong115, kschilk and darbo like this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    33512 times
    Quote Originally Posted by NotSo View Post
    If we listed the reasons we carry what we carry and why we carry it, we would probably break the Internet. There have been some good words posted in this thread: "Manners", "Etiquette", "Logic." Like it or not, agree with it or not, the media frenzy about guns in general has sensitized the majority of people to flee at the merest hint of one. I believe there are areas and regions where open carry doesn't rate a second glance where at others it would cause a stampede.
    I don't think people are as frightened as the media likes to play it up. Go into a checkout line at walmart open carrying and I'll bet you don't move up even one spot. An earthquake or fire might prompt a few to leave their stuff and haul ___ but getting a glimpse of a holstered gun, prob'ly isn't enough to give up their place in that line.
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

Member #
    Liked
    1695 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kschilk View Post
    I don't think people are as frightened as the media likes to play it up. Go into a checkout line at walmart open carrying and I'll bet you don't move up even one spot. An earthquake or fire might prompt a few to leave their stuff and haul ___ but getting a glimpse of a holstered gun, prob'ly isn't enough to give up their place in that line.
    Occasionally, it can get you a little more personal space, but I've yet to see anyone leave the line. Then again, most of the time it seems people don't notice/care and continue to crowd you.
    kschilk likes this.
    PT140 | TCP738 | PT809 | M405 | PT840 | PT609 | PT845 | M65 | PT1911 |
    PT24/7 Pro C DS .45 | PT24/7 Pro OSS DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro DS .40 | PT24/7 Pro C DS .40
    Sand Lake 2015 | 2016 | 2017 [pending]

Member #
    Liked
    1177 times
    OC in MI. is a rare sight. There are no laws against OC, but there are some really dumb rules that go along with it if you don't have a CPL.
    I live in the suburbs of Detoilet, seems like everybody carries a gun whether legal or not. In our Northern counties, there is a lot more folks open carrying. But around here not so much. Never been much of a fan of OC, but to each their own. I personally like the idea of NO ONE knowing I'm armed.
    Flash60601 and bjrjar like this.
    ΥΣΜΧ SEMPER FIDELIS

60 AND COUNTING

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links