Seeking heavy duty pants for EDC, preferably sold by Amazon.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Seeking heavy duty pants for EDC, preferably sold by Amazon.

Member #
    Liked
    2287 times

Lightbulb Seeking heavy duty pants for EDC, preferably sold by Amazon.

So I've been looking for some high quality, durable, heavy duty pants for EDC. I want something reasonably comfortable, flexible, yet very strong that will hold up well to wear that preferably won't require extremely specific washing/drying instructions. (How practical can pants possibly be if they can't withstand a bit of moist heat without shrinking massively?)

I'm already well aware of Duluth Trading Company and already own quite a bit of clothing from them which has literally lasted me years, but I've lost a good 70lbs of excess weight over the past few years, so the pants no longer fit, and just as well, they are jogging pants which were purchased for comfort while walking/jogging in cooler weather, so they don't fit my current needs. Eventually I'll be picking up some of their fire hose cargo pants, but presently I have a $100 Amazon Gift Card, so I figured I'd try out some brands from them.

However, I'm not really familiar with many of the brands they carry besides Wrangler, which judging by past experiences with their jeans probably isn't what I'm looking for.

The brands I'm currently most interested in are Carhartt and 5.11 Tactical, both of which I've heard good things about, but have never owned either. Based on user reviews, 5.11 Tactical seems to be the better brand, (a lot of the Carhartt cargo pants have reviews of the stitching around the pockets failing from relatively light use) but reviews can be deceiving, especially considering that they may be based on counterfeit products the buyer purchased from private sellers at prices which probably should have tipped them off, but I'll be purchasing directly from Amazon, so I should be getting genuine products.
    That said, I'm open to suggestions of other brands as well.

So I'd appreciate some suggestions from folks here who have experience with EDC in heavy duty pants.

EDIT: After much research on the matter, I ended up buying 2 pair of 5.1 Tactical Original Pants.

According to the manufacturer they are made to FBI Specifications and have a time-proven 30 year track record for quality and durability. Reviews on Amazon were overwhelmingly positive, attesting to their quality and durability.
    I got one pair in OD Green, the other in Navy Blue. They cost me $49.99 each with Free S&H. We'll see how they turn out.
    Last edited by Tuco_Ramírez; 09-13-2019 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Reached a decision.
    daytonaredeye likes this.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Member #
    Liked
    5058 times
    What you need is a good quality gun belt rather than heavy duty pants. A good double layer leather gun belt such as sold by Crossbreed Holsters.
    https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/belts/gun-belts.html
    I have been using one for at least 6 years now and it is still going great.
    777Driver, RonPT24/7 and dale5522 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    2914 times
    Interesting question, I think I'll follow this one.
    PT111 G2
    PT92 AFS

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    9403 times
    I'd stick with Duluth. I'm partial to their Dry-On-The Fly series cargo pants and shorts. Comfortable, stretchy, wicking, dry fast and durable (shirts, too) - they generally cover a wider range of waist size due to elastic waste ban i.e. 36-38 waist, where the Fire Hose are for exact waist size - no forgiveness. Do have some of their cargo Fire Hose series - heavy duty, durable, thick material, but not near as comfortable as DOTF. I've lost 25 lbs., so Fire Hose will get more use this winter (winter in Texas is almost non-existent).

5.11 & Carhardt both quality products, but Duluth better IMO. And if you watch sales for Duluth, less expensive. I caught some DOTF cargo pants on sale sub <$25.00 during clearance sales.
    william likes this.
    (1) PT709 SS; (1) PT709FS; PT740 SS; PT140B Mil G2 Rec'd. 2/16/16; PT140 SS G2 Rec'd 9/14/16; PT111 SS Mil Pro Repaired Rec'd. 9/9/16
    PT24/7 PRO DS SS 9mm; PT24/7 Blk. CA .40S&W; PT24/7 PRO LS DS SS .40S&W; Remington R51 G2 9MM
    PT92B-AF; PT92-AFS Tu-Tone; PT99B-AF; PT99-AFS; (2) PT100AFS; TRACKER M992B - 6.5" ;.M992SS - 4" .22LR/.22Mag; M17SS - 6.5" .17HMR
    S&W SD9VE SS; Sigma SW9VE SS; SD40VE SS; Sigma SW40VE SS; M&P40C Blk. SS; (1)TISAS Zigana Sport Two-Tone and (1) all Black; Texas CHL

Member #
    Liked
    5108 times
    well its not Amazon, but check out LA Police gear.
    https://lapolicegear.com/

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I don't have any Duluth jeans but I do have Carhartt and I'm sold on them. They have the deepest pockets for concealed carrying small or larger guns in the pocket with ease.
    You won't get that with Wranglers, Lee, or Levi's. Small guns in the pocket come to the top.

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area go into the dressing room with a bunch of different styles of Carhartt and try them on. Take a gun with you while doing it and see how it fits. Make sure you lock the door. Then order from Amazon.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2287 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvrevos View Post
    I don't have any Duluth jeans but I do have Carhartt and I'm sold on them. They have the deepest pockets for concealed carrying small or larger guns in the pocket with ease.
    You won't get that with Wranglers, Lee, or Levi's. Small guns in the pocket come to the top.

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area go into the dressing room with a bunch of different styles of Carhartt and try them on. Take a gun with you while doing it and see how it fits. Make sure you lock the door. Then order from Amazon.
    Thank you very much. I do in fact have a Tractor Supply nearby, so next time I'm out that way I'll probably drop in and check out their Carhartt pants. I just need something heavy duty with a good amount of pockets.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Supporting Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    13586 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Wino View Post
    I'd stick with Duluth. I'm partial to their Dry-On-The Fly series cargo pants and shorts. Comfortable, stretchy, wicking, dry fast and durable (shirts, too) - they generally cover a wider range of waist size due to elastic waste ban i.e. 36-38 waist, where the Fire Hose are for exact waist size - no forgiveness. Do have some of their cargo Fire Hose series - heavy duty, durable, thick material, but not near as comfortable as DOTF. I've lost 25 lbs., so Fire Hose will get more use this winter (winter in Texas is almost non-existent).

5.11 & Carhardt both quality products, but Duluth better IMO. And if you watch sales for Duluth, less expensive. I caught some DOTF cargo pants on sale sub <$25.00 during clearance sales.
    No affiliation!
    Duluth is my go to for pants specifically https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-d...efault&start=1 I started with the trim-fit but moved to the regular cut. The trim-fit, fit well a little less material around the legs but also 1" less material between the crouch seam and the rear belt loop, plumbers crack.
    Lots of pockets with is what I like. The both front pockets are 'deep', right hand pocket has a change/key pocket which works great for pocket carry gun barrels, the left front pocket picks up the slack i.e. change, keys, ballpoints. My left cargo pocket carries a spare mag if I pocket carry, or is empty and available for whatever, the rear outer pocket has a flashlight and the front outer pocket has pepperspray, the pocket flap covers the cargo pocket and the front pocket. My right inside cargo pocket is empty or has a mag if I pocket carry, the outer right pocket has a clip knife, and the outter right front carries my iPhone X. If I don't pocket carry the double mag carrier goes over the left side belt loop and the PT 99 goes over the right side belt loop. 5 belt loops, one 3" or better long in the center back, one at 3 and one at 9 1.5" apx, and 2 in the front 10:30 and 1:30 ish. If you carry keys on a carbiner or such, there is a loop off of the belt loop on the right side.
    And no I don't get a salesman's spiff, but I have given up on milsurp, 5.11 and all else.

There is a picture of me here: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...6th-8th-8.html, with that load out, PLUS the Sig P238 in the front right pocket with a mag in each cargo.
    Last edited by william; 09-13-2019 at 02:22 PM.
    Wino likes this.

Make America Great Again - Remove all the warning labels!
    I shoot to support my reloading habit
    Only when your house is on fire, will you have too much ammo!
    Psalms 144:1
    Never go into a fight with less ammo than you can carry - W Ward
    Lubbock 15 Sand Lake 15 & 16 Rapid City 15 - 19

Member #
    Liked
    54 times
    I cannot speak about the pants you listed, but I recently bought two pair of Wrangler Riggs cargo type pants through Amazon and they are great. Also you'll like the price which was about $45/pair.
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20415 times
    I wear the Tactical 5.1s too; wear their shorts in the summer. You will like them!
    Tuco_Ramírez likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links