Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Publix joins the "please don't open carry" crowd

Member #
    Liked
    3504 times

Publix joins the "please don't open carry" crowd

https://www.tampabay.com/news/busine...medium=twitter

If you’ve got a gun, Publix Supermarkets prefers you keep that knowledge to yourself. At least when you’re in one of its stores.

The Lakeland-based retailer with stores in seven states released a brief statement Tuesday asking customers to not openly carry firearms in its sores.

“Publix respectfully requests that only law enforcement officials openly carry firearms in our stores,” spokesman Brian West wrote in an email to the Tampa Bay Times.
    What are @Publix, @FoodLion and @HyVee waiting for?

Food Lion: 800-210-9569https://t.co/ytjmNIRkMS

Hy-Vee: 800-772-4098https://t.co/kJ1HyvtjG8

Publix: 800-242-1227https://t.co/cpyIBa49hi pic.twitter.com/AdNy5bzHfm
    – Shannon Watts (@shannonrwatts) September 10, 2019

“Publix is the 38th store brand in the last week to reverse its open carry policy after pressure from @MomsDemand volunteers,” Shannon Watts, a member of Moms Demand Action and Everytown for Gun Safety, wrote on Twitter. “Corporate leaders are standing up to the gun lobby.”

Moms Demand and Everytown are grassroots organizations focused on gun control legislation.
    and also there's this:

In May, Vernon Messier was shot in the leg when his wife dropped her purse and a gun she was carrying in her purse discharged while the couple stood in line at a Land O’ Lakes Publix. A few days later, a woman was injured when an off-duty police officer’s gun accidentally discharged at a Miami-area Publix.

Last year, survivors of the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting staged a “die-in” at Publix to protest its support of the National Rifle Association and NRA-baked candidates. The retailer announced it would stop donating to the NRA in response to the controversy, but records show the donations resumed earlier this year.

Representatives from Publix did not respond to a request for comment on its concealed carry policy.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I can't help notice all this stuff occurred after that guy open carried (even though it was slung) an AR rifle into Walmart and wearing obvious body armor while filiming himself allegedly so he could see how Walmart "felt about the 2nd Amendment".
    Prior to the mass shootings and that guy, my local stores have had a few people occasionally open carry a handgun in a holster on the hip and there was no major fuss raised about it by anyone. Most people were oblivious to it anyway.

I'm not a person who normally buys into conspiracy theories, but if that guy wasn't already some anti gun activist he couldn't have done a better job of mucking things up for other people.
    230JHP likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2350 times
    Interesting.

All these grocery stores want me to conceal my gun, but if I pick up some of their canned goods and conceal them, they'll think I was shoplifting. I think I need a "customer manual" so I know exactly what procedures I need to follow in order to be allowed to enter in to a store. Maybe they should have online policy manuals that we must read and acknowledge that produces a certificate we can present at the door. Better yet, maybe the government should dictate the day and hour at which I am allowed to be at the store to pick up my rations, er, I mean groceries.

Member #
    Liked
    33297 times
    If it weren't for the timing, I might complain but the only thing these anti-2A clowns are really doin' right now, is campaigning for Trump's re-election. They got him elected the first time, they're sure to do it again. ...I'm totally cool wi'dat, thanks guys!
    Ammo will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I miss my 286.

#Neverwarren

Welfare...funding the illegal drug trade since 1935.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    35206 times
    I don't think it's a conspiracy or anything. I just think alot of companies are walking a fine line, which side to do you make mad and how can you mitigate it.

Saying no OC is a way to mitigate it. They are not telling those of us who do carry we can't but at the same time having no visible firearms keeps those opposed to guns ignorant to their proximity to them.

I won't stop patronizing a place with no OC, I get why they do it. I do many times stop patronizing those with blanket bans.
    "Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem" (I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery) Thomas Jefferson in a letter to James Madison

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

"If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking!" General Patton

"If we waited for Washington to tell us when to plant, we should soon want bread." Thomas Jefferson

Member #
    Liked
    5774 times
    Personally I find all of this hysterical. I live in a county that is extremely gun friendly Although I am positive there are plenty of guns being concealed I have not once, not one single time seen a person open carry anywhere. Ever.
    Smokewagon and pegasus like this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19930 times

PUBLIX joins the anti-OC movement

Damn!!

They coulda just stayed quiet and have their registers ringing!
    olfarhors likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    19930 times
    Already being discussed here: https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/f...-movement.html

Will merge the two
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    7600 times
    Honestly, I've always seen open carry as a sign of "shoot this guy first" in the even that a weapon is actually needed in a public place. That being said, the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. I'd love to see any other right so infringed upon - how about a sign at Wally World telling people that loud obnoxious cell phone arguments in their store would be met with expulsion? Or a policy to periodically search people for potential stolen goods (no cause necessary)? Or maybe, "We might lock you up in a back room for an unspecified period of time"?

Of course the 1A is under almost as much fire...looking at you, "hate" speech.
    olfarhors likes this.
    "To anger Conservatives, lie to them. To anger liberal, tell them the truth."
    -Fine! I said it! You happy, Troll!
    ...Snopes provides no evidence to the contrary

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    They coulda just stayed quiet and have their registers ringing!
    Their registers will still be ringing....

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    I just think a lot of companies are walking a fine line, which side to do you make mad and how can you mitigate it.

Saying no OC is a way to mitigate it. They are not telling those of us who do carry we can't but at the same time having no visible firearms keeps those opposed to guns ignorant to their proximity to them.

I won't stop patronizing a place with no OC, I get why they do it. I do many times stop patronizing those with blanket bans.
    Pretty much this....I have no issue with OC though rarely (rarely) ever see it, both where I live and in places I've traveled to.
    Do I agree with decisions like this? No, but when it comes to this kind of thing a smart business tries to appease as many people (on both sides) as they can and they do it knowing they'll never make Everyone happy...
    kschilk likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    319 times
    I would always honor a stores requests if possible but really wonder why people are worried about "open carry". I would think folk would rather know who was armed and that banning concealed carry made far more sense.
    kschilk likes this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links