Firearm Carriage insurance - Page 3

View Poll Results: Do you have firearm carry insurance?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 15.63%
  • No

19 59.38%
  • Seriously considering it

5 15.63%
  • Not worth the effort

4 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Firearm Carriage insurance

Member #
    Liked
    3428 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter9mm View Post
    Texas Law Shield (affiliate of US Law Shield) for a year and a half.
    No issues - but thankful I haven't needed to use it.
    Cost for basic coverage seems reasonable at less than $150 per year.
    Does that only work for you guys in Texas?
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    1149 times
    For self-defense insurance I use USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com), and I highly recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than others, but I think their service is well worth it. They offer three levels of insurance: Gold, Platinum, and Elite. In addition, all three plans include Critical Response Team assistance 24/7/365, Attorney reference and coordination, Psychological support/counseling, and subscription to Concealed Carry Magazine. Their website has lots of other reference material, training videos, and links to additional training material. The magazine is outstanding, and once you're a member you can download any of their past issues for free. Here are the plans:

Gold – Which provides $600,000 self-defense protection: $5,000/50,000 for bail bond funding, $100,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $500,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and$350/day compensation while in court. Cost: $247/yr.

Platinum – Which provides $1,150,000 self-defense protection: $25,000/250,000 for bail bond funding, $150,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $1,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $500/day compensation while in court. Cost:$347/yr.

Elite – Which provides $2,250,000 self-defense protection: $50,000/500,000 for bail bond funding, $250,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $2,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $750/day compensation while in court. Cost:$497/year

I have
    the Platinum plan. For me, the critical item was the civil suit defense/damages funding. Lots of other insurance plans provide for criminal defense, but for civil lawsuits you're on your own. With our litigious society, lawsuits are all too common, and this insurance covers both legal fees AND any damages awarded!

If I only have one phone call, it's going to be to the USCCA Critical Response Team. A call to them, anytime day or night, will get the ball rolling. They will arrange bail and contact your attorney. Don't have an attorney? They have a list of attorneys in your area that are experienced in self-defense law.

Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though your lawyer convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.

Many times whether you are found guilty or not guilty depends on:
    1. Do you have a lawyer?
    2. Is he a good lawyer?
    3. Is he experienced in self-defense law?
    4. Do you have the resources to hire a private investigator to search out details?
    5. Do you have the resources to bring in "Expert witnesses" to testify on your behalf?
    6. Do you have the resources to search firearm and self-defense case law throughout the country to use in your defense?
    7. Do you have the resources to search firearms data that would aid in your defense?

These things are crucial, and an organization like USCCA can provide them.
    And no, I am not a company spokesman; just a happy customer.

My advice: Go with the USCCA. Check out their website; I think you'll like it
    ICUKev likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Quote Originally Posted by taurustoter View Post
    Does that only work for you guys in Texas?
    So far as I know it's all the same group - US LawShield outside Texas and Texas LawShield inside Texas. My account number and login works on both websites.
    Just an old guy who has enjoyed fast cars and guns since I was about 12 years of age.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    USCCA Platinum level. Hopefully the best waste of money I will ever spend.
    777Driver likes this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    9098 times
    On the flip side, I do not have SD insurance. Instead, I have a good friend who is 1) a lawyer, 2) a conservative, and 3) a gun enthusiast. His daughter is in my 4-H Club. I've had the conversation with him. He won't work for free, but my Insurance Agent is also a friend and he assures me that my Home Owner's insurance covers me up to $500,000. So, maybe I'm kind of betting on the come line, but after doing a bit of research on the SD shootings, what I've found out is the people who have to most problem seem to say the most at the scene. The adrenaline seems to loosen the blabbering center. My lawyer has advised me if I have to shoot someone in self defense, as soon as possible, call 911, tell them I was in a shooting, and was in fear for my life. The first person to call 911 is the victim. The second is the perpetrator. The next call is to him (my lawyer). Then turn my phone off. When the police arrive at the scene, the only statement I make is, "I was in fear for my life, and I need to talk to my attorney." Even if you know the cops on the scene; even if you're related, they are not your friends.

Even if the situation is out of state, my lawyer wants to be called. He'll find someone whom he trusts to work with me.

If I were going to buy insurance though, it would probably be USCCA.
    ICUKev and 777Driver like this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Member #
    Liked
    2508 times
    It probably more depends on which state you live in. Some states are "carry friendly", others are not.
    I live in Alabama- so it may not be needed here- the laws were changed here a few years ago to protect the citizen who has to defend himself. The law states-If you shoot someone in order to defend yourself, your family, or even an unknown 3rd party- you can not be prosecuted by the state or city. Even though the perps family can try to sue you in court- assuming they can find a judge that will hear the case. If the police report says "self defense".....then the case is closed.

However, I do recommend it for those of you who live in gun restrictive states.
    a.k.a. Higgy Baby

Member #
    Liked
    3322 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    For self-defense insurance I use USCCA (www.usconcealedcarry.com), and I highly recommend it. It may be a little more expensive than others, but I think their service is well worth it. They offer three levels of insurance: Gold, Platinum, and Elite. In addition, all three plans include Critical Response Team assistance 24/7/365, Attorney reference and coordination, Psychological support/counseling, and subscription to Concealed Carry Magazine. Their website has lots of other reference material, training videos, and links to additional training material. The magazine is outstanding, and once you're a member you can download any of their past issues for free. Here are the plans:

Gold – Which provides $600,000 self-defense protection: $5,000/50,000 for bail bond funding, $100,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $500,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and$350/day compensation while in court. Cost: $247/yr.

Platinum – Which provides $1,150,000 self-defense protection: $25,000/250,000 for bail bond funding, $150,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $1,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $500/day compensation while in court. Cost:$347/yr.

Elite – Which provides $2,250,000 self-defense protection: $50,000/500,000 for bail bond funding, $250,000 for criminal defense protection and attorney retainer, $2,000,000 for civil suit defense and damages, and $750/day compensation while in court. Cost:$497/year

I have
    the Platinum plan. For me, the critical item was the civil suit defense/damages funding. Lots of other insurance plans provide for criminal defense, but for civil lawsuits you're on your own. With our litigious society, lawsuits are all too common, and this insurance covers both legal fees AND any damages awarded!

If I only have one phone call, it's going to be to the USCCA Critical Response Team. A call to them, anytime day or night, will get the ball rolling. They will arrange bail and contact your attorney. Don't have an attorney? They have a list of attorneys in your area that are experienced in self-defense law.

Also, don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though your lawyer convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company.

Many times whether you are found guilty or not guilty depends on:
    1. Do you have a lawyer?
    2. Is he a good lawyer?
    3. Is he experienced in self-defense law?
    4. Do you have the resources to hire a private investigator to search out details?
    5. Do you have the resources to bring in "Expert witnesses" to testify on your behalf?
    6. Do you have the resources to search firearm and self-defense case law throughout the country to use in your defense?
    7. Do you have the resources to search firearms data that would aid in your defense?

These things are crucial, and an organization like USCCA can provide them.
    And no, I am not a company spokesman; just a happy customer.

My advice: Go with the USCCA. Check out their website; I think you'll like it
    My thoughts as well. I'd also say checkout as many as possible just to see differences?
    777Driver likes this.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    1149 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebum View Post
    "my Insurance Agent is also a friend and he assures me that my Home Owner's insurance covers me up to $500,000.
    I agree with almost everything you say, Divebum; except the part about Homeowner's Insurance.
    As I said on my post: "Don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though your lawyer convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company."

But it's your call. Odds are, you'll never have to make that call.
    Divebum likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    20895 times
    This is already under discussion so will merge the threads.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member

The Declaration of Independence states that the sole purpose of government is to secure the inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. And, if it fails, the people are justified in getting rid of government, not the rights. - Judge Jeanine Pirro

The first lesson in economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson in politics is to forget the first lesson in economics. - Thomas Sowell

Member #
    Liked
    9098 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 777Driver View Post
    I agree with almost everything you say, Divebum; except the part about Homeowner's Insurance.
    As I said on my post: "Don't rely on your homeowner's insurance, even if they say they cover you for self-defense. Usually they will only pay for attorney fees AFTER you are found Not Guilty. You have to pay all expenses up-front, and then try to get reimbursed after the verdict is in. And if you are found guilty of anything (murder, manslaughter, negligence, etc.), you may get nothing, even though your lawyer convinced you to accept a lesser charge. The rules are different for each state, and each insurance company."

But it's your call. Odds are, you'll never have to make that call.
    Good points. I will confer with my agent and make sure that they will at least "pay as I go" rather than wait.
    777Driver likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links