Small-of-back retention holster - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Small-of-back retention holster

Member #
    Liked
    4337 times
    Have often heard people say small of back is worst place to carry. After carrying in all types of rigs, custom to cheap big box store holsters, all are not the same. Like boots and shoes there is no such thing as one size fits all. Human bodies and guns both come in different sizes and shapes. Like the Ford and Chevy debates, drive what you like. Same with guns and holsters, carry what you want, the way you want. Just because small of back doesn't work for some doesn't change the fact it works for me. I lost disc in my back, carried small of back before and after injury. Was not carrying when hurt because of where working. Would rather carry small of back than shoulder rig, in or out of waistband any other location. I carry a baby Glock 30, 45 acp year round, not a light gun and extra mag adds weight. I have none of the problems with comfort discussed. Never been a problem removing gun while seated or standing. Spent 12 hour plus days/nights driving with gas/ fuel breaks. I will not wear boots or a carry rig that is not comfortable. I'm also not going to tell someone else what will fit them best. My size 12 boots wouldn't fit my ladies size 6 foot. Being comfortable on me does not make them fit her. She loves her 380 and how it fits her little hand and hand bag. Several years back a popular writer, instructor of popular training facility, said a carry rig didnt have to be comfortable but comforting. Both is better
    Car_Doc and papajim like this.

Member #
    Liked
    17 times
    Holsters are very much a personal choice. Advice on what works for others is great - keep it coming! - but you won't know what you like 'til you try it. Trust me, I'm 65 and have carried professionally for 40 years now, and have so many holsters that I have them boxed by category: revolver, semi, and uniform duty. Oh, and then there's the box (and one nightstand drawer) filled with the ones I use the most. (I never get rid of them... never know when a friend might want one or something. Plus I'm kind of a hoarder of gun stuff.) And don't sacrifice comfort, ever. Ever! Kydex is popular, but if it hurts to use it, don't! Even a poorly-placed leather holster can hurt. Trust me, it'll pay off later in life. I have nerve and muscle problems and a permanent "dent" in my hip from years of high-ride holsters pressed into unforgiving car seats that were chosen by low bid. Bottom line, don't stop trying to find the perfect one! Aloha!
    Pair of 431s

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I have tried a couple of brands of S. O. B. The one that seems to hold best is Galco. I would shy away from Falco, with the exception of a J-frame model, as they are a lighter weight leather.
    Now if Middle of Back is considered (vertical with butt of holster toward draw side so hand goes between back and grip to draw) I would recomend the Minautor (or Spartan) Vertical from Comp-Tac.
    non satis scire

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    I have had this Desantis for about six months and I don't have any complaints. The Galco looks to be of comparable quality but I went with Desantis because I have several of their holsters. I have always been pleased with the quality and price. This particular one rides stock canted up which aids in retention. I would recommend locktite on the retention screw once you find your preferred setting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    TrucksNCoffee and GerSan69 like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    16637 times
    If he's serious about carrying that way, the best thing to do is spend the extra cash and get a quality holster made specifically for his pistol. I've got a Galco, for a Sig P220, that I received in a trade. It's top quality and has perfect retention.
    Children, pets, and slaves get taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

When Democracy turns to Tyranny

I still plan to vote.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links