Small-of-back retention holster - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Small-of-back retention holster

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Trucks it's a number 16, perfect fit for my S&W Sc 1911. They make multiple sizes, I had one for my 5" 1911 but forget what number it was.
    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    TrucksNCoffee likes this.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    8289 times
    I have a nice leather Don Hume IWB, but my Uncle Mike's size 16 is just so easy to put on and go. It's easy to take off and with a good belt I forget I have it on.

It holds my older XD-9 and a extra 16 round mag.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    When I moved to the south I just didn't bring my things . By the grace of GOD he brought my soul!!"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -- Thomas Jefferson

PT 1911,pt 24/7 45 C DS, M-85

Member #
    Liked
    31485 times
    Ah, small of the back. The worst place to have a gun when seated. I wonder how the person sitting next to a small of the back carrier would feel about retention. And trigger coverage - by the holster, I mean.

Sorry, didn't mean to side track the thread.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    10742 times
    Personally, I make my own Cross Breed clone, but there are many on the market. These are the most comfortable IWB holsters made IMO. They are comfortable sitting, standing or driving. I made one for a friend and he drove from Alabama to New Jersey and back wearing it. He said it is the most comfortable holster he has ever owned.

Here is one of mine. I am a lefty so I wear mine at 8 o'clock. I can draw while seated/driving.
    Name:  SR40ccwithHolster.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  95.5 KB

I use horse hide to tackle the sweat problem. I look for holsters that cover the trigger, cover the mag release, and cover the end of the barrel. I cover the mag release because being a lefty it is exposed and there is nothing worse than leaning back against a counter only to have your mag pop loose. I started covering the end of the barrel after sitting down in a booth and the seat edge popped my pistol out of my holster.
    45 Forever likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Ah, small of the back. The worst place to have a gun when seated. I wonder how the person sitting next to a small of the back carrier would feel about retention. And trigger coverage - by the holster, I mean.
    Sorry, didn't mean to side track the thread.
    Not to mention should you get knocked down or fall on your back while carrying SOB, you stand an extremely high chance of breaking your backbone. You also have to be very cautious when sitting down to not allow the gun to THUMP against the chair thus giving away that you are carrying.
    GhostHorse likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    140 times
    Having carried SOB for 30+ years I still hear this myth about falling on your back and breaking your spine, I will ask here as I have asked many many others if they can please offer evidence/proof of it ever happening? That is the same as saying if you carry at the 3 o clock position and fall sideways you will break your hip/pelvis.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    TheOldRedneck and GerSan69 like this.

Member #
    Liked
    31485 times
    Personally, I don't need proof. I've fallen on my back, where a handgun would have made the experience much more painful, even if nothing gets broken. I can't say that for 3:00 carry.

3:00 carry also keeps the muzzle in a safer direction, and requires less of a stretch to draw. But you do what works for you, and I'll do what works for me.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    577 times
    Using a Blue Gun, try to draw your carry while seated in your normal chair at home, at work (if you are allowed to carry while working), in your vehicle, and without any gun while in a restaurant you frequent to see how easily you will be able to draw your gun to defend yourself without demonstrating to the whole world what you are trying to do in case the bad guys are watching you. Trying to draw from SOB is very difficult while seated, especially in a vehicle. And SOB carry makes your firearm readily available to anyone standing behind you.

Member #
    Liked
    10742 times
    Quote Originally Posted by FLShutterbug View Post
    Using a Blue Gun, try to draw your carry while seated in your normal chair at home, at work (if you are allowed to carry while working), in your vehicle, and without any gun while in a restaurant you frequent to see how easily you will be able to draw your gun to defend yourself without demonstrating to the whole world what you are trying to do in case the bad guys are watching you. Trying to draw from SOB is very difficult while seated, especially in a vehicle. And SOB carry makes your firearm readily available to anyone standing behind you.
    I have done all of those drills you mention, without any issues. I carry at at 8 o'clock (cause I am a lefty), not exactly SOB. I have been struck on my holstered pistol and the leather in conjunction with the Kydex was enough to essentially spread out the impact so I didn't feel it in my kidney. The 2 clips also spread out the load on your gun belt so if carries a little easier to carry than a single clip on IWB, or even a OWB holster carried in the same position. I usually carry with my shirt tucked in, and it is difficult to tell I am carrying. I also have no illusions that I am going to out draw anyone. My mantra is find cover, and then draw. In fact, I believe the first time the bad guy should see your weapon is at the same time you are pulling the trigger. I would never, ever, try to warn someone away by drawing my weapon. If it comes out of my holster, it is because I intend to use it.

And yes, I have already thought about someone drawing my weapon from behind. In fact I have told my wife to get behind me if something happens and pull out my shirt, if need be draw my weapon and hand it to me, but essentially keep anyone from getting behind me. But that is if I am caught in the open and can not move. Otherwise, I seek cover and then draw.
    Car_Doc likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I just received the crossbreed freedom holster. Gives you the option of carrying in a variety of positions. Does need a little break in period. I bought this one for the PT 740 slim. Retention is good. This may work.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links