Surface rust on carry gun
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Surface rust on carry gun

Member #
    Liked
    270 times

Surface rust on carry gun

I pocket carry everyday for work and owb carry at home and sometimes pocket carry. Both guns I carry have started to develop surface rust on the side closest to my body. I go to the range every two weeks and clean them with remoil and make sure they are clean and oiled. If I do not go to the range it takes about a month to start to develop the light surface rust. On my taurus 605 poly it is on the cylinder near the star and on a lcp2 on the slide. Does anyone have any oil or clp they recommend to prevent this? Just got hornady one shot but have not had a chance to try it yet.

Thanks in advance
    silverstring and 777Driver like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31780 times
    Holsters with a sweat shield work perfectly for me.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10818 times
    There are several products for rust prevention, but usually a light coat of oil prevents rust. Also a sweat shield style holster would probably help. Another option is an application of frog lube once yearly. You have to heat up the metal pretty good ( hair dryer or heat gun ) then apply a heavy coat , let it set for 5-10 minutes, then wipe off the excess. Frog lube is safe for all surfaces and smells great, however heating up the metal part that is inserted into plastic, could be an issue.
    777Driver likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    225 times
    What holsters are you using?
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    30487 times
    Pictures of the guns and holsters would make it easier to figure this out.

South Florida is a tough environment. If holster and oil adjustments don't do the trick, duracoat or cerakote may be the answer.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sig_230 View Post
    What holsters are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    Pictures of the guns and holsters would make it easier to figure this out.

South Florida is a tough environment. If holster and oil adjustments don't do the trick, duracoat or cerakote may be the answer.
    My taurus daily carry is a pocket kydex holster,
    My lcp2 also has a kydex pocket holster that leaves the slide exposed just switched to it from the original fabric holster.
    Name:  20190603_192915_1559604761233.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  3.76 MB
    Name:  20190603_193607_1559604987994.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.43 MB

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2560 times
    I sweat badly. I use CLP Break Free and M-Pro 7. About once a month I have to take care of my PT111 G2. My CZ P-07 is much more resistant to rust like my G19 and P320C.

Maloy

Member #
    Liked
    63 times
    I agree with all of the replies thus far and I will add some. You have not given the environment conditions nor whether you carry only in a holster. So, I assume the gun finish on the problem areas is factory bluing. Be sure to remove all of the surface rust. Marvel Mystery Oil (or similar) and 000 or 0000 steel wool soaked in same will work but you may remove some of the bluing. Always carry in a holster, period. (For multiple reasons) You can also use Johnson's paste wax on the blue after lightly oiling. If you want to do some re-finishing for further protection, I use DuraCoat and KG GunCoat. Cerakote also works well. I like the KG products best but all three will work well, IF you follow the directions exactly as listed with the respective products. You may simply want to trade for a stainless gun. If the gun is stainless, it will still rust, just not as fast. Stainless needs lubrication and protection as well.
    Finally, you may just want to wipe down your EDC gun with a lightly oiled rag every 2 or 3 days.
    My 2 cents.
    My 2 cents.
    sig_230 and GreenWolf70 like this.
    Most guns out shoot most people.

Member #
    Liked
    270 times
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldcomputerguy View Post
    I agree with all of the replies thus far and I will add some. You have not given the environment conditions nor whether you carry only in a holster. So, I assume the gun finish on the problem areas is factory bluing. Be sure to remove all of the surface rust. Marvel Mystery Oil (or similar) and 000 or 0000 steel wool soaked in same will work but you may remove some of the bluing. Always carry in a holster, period. (For multiple reasons) You can also use Johnson's paste wax on the blue after lightly oiling. If you want to do some re-finishing for further protection, I use DuraCoat and KG GunCoat. Cerakote also works well. I like the KG products best but all three will work well, IF you follow the directions exactly as listed with the respective products. You may simply want to trade for a stainless gun. If the gun is stainless, it will still rust, just not as fast. Stainless needs lubrication and protection as well.
    Finally, you may just want to wipe down your EDC gun with a lightly oiled rag every 2 or 3 days.
    My 2 cents.
    My 2 cents.
    Wow I did forget did not even notice. I live in south florida where it is normally 60% + humidity and 80 degrees + unforgiving place for corrosion . I always carry in a kydex style holster. I sweat a ton all day due to my job so my pockets are ideal areas of salty sweaty humidity. Once I get home I either switch my carry gun into a owb kydex holster with a sweat guard or change into some clean shorts and pocket carry the smaller lcp.

I think that will problably be the best option to wipe down the gun every 2-3 days if the continues. It seems to only be surface rust so far. Tore the guns apart and they were clean. The lastbtime before this time I was only using rem oil and hoppes9. Breakfree clp seems to be better suited for this environment or have seen good results with wiping down with wd 40 lti corrosion inhibitor. I would assume any good oil reapplied regularly should do the trick hopefully.

Member #
    Liked
    225 times
    One last comment.

Kydex and most synthetic materials are not porous and so simply trap and hold the moisture right against your gun. Try a leather or natural fiber holster and see if that helps.

AbE: Also, contact some of the holster makers that are based in Florida and so familiar with those conditions. High Noon Holsters is one. A couple decades ago I was living in Brunswick GA so understand the issue and High Noon products worked well in that environment.
    Last edited by sig_230; 06-04-2019 at 06:11 AM.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links