Surface rust on carry gun - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Surface rust on carry gun

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32279 times
    I've found on kydex holsters, that it isn't so much the kydex that's hard on finishes, as it is the dirt that accumulates inside them. Same can happen with leather as I found out as a LEO. I use both these days and give them a wipe, same as I do the firearm.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    20818 times
    Turtle Wax brand Chrome Polish and Rust Remover, this stuff works like magic and protects for a long time too. It will even polish the chrome parts on your old muscle car or Harley too....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nimbly likes this.
    "Guns are a lot like parachutes ~ If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

The problems we face today are there because the people
    who work for a living are out numbered by the people that vote for a living

"No man who refuses to bear arms can give sound reason why he should be allowed to live in a free country" Teddy Roosevelt

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times
    This is why all of my carry guns are either Stainless Steel or coated in a corrosion-resistant finish like Cerakote.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and not have to worry about rust or how to treat it.

My advice to you would be to have your carry guns Cerakoted or treated with some form of FNC, and in the future pay a bit extra up front for a more corrosion-resistant finish than your typical matte bluing or black oxide finish. Because while their are lots of good products out their to help treat or remove rust corrosion, I feel it's best to mitigate the issue with a more durable/corrosion-resistant finish.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    99 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuco_Ramírez View Post
    This is why all of my carry guns are either Stainless Steel or coated in a corrosion-resistant finish like Cerakote.

I'd rather pay a bit extra and not have to worry about rust or how to treat it.

My advice to you would be to have your carry guns Cerakoted or treated with some form of FNC, and in the future pay a bit extra up front for a more corrosion-resistant finish than your typical matte bluing or black oxide finish. Because while their are lots of good products out their to help treat or remove rust corrosion, I feel it's best to mitigate the issue with a more durable/corrosion-resistant finish.

I tend to break down my pistol and magazines and clean the lint out once a week anyway. I agree a better finish is preferable, but we shouldn't get complaisant when it comes to taking care of our carry pistols.
    GreenWolf70 likes this.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Member #
    Liked
    2119 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Nimbly View Post
    I tend to break down my pistol and magazines and clean the lint out once a week anyway. I agree a better finish is preferable, but we shouldn't get complaisant when it comes to taking care of our carry pistols.
    Oh, no question there. It just seems to me that depending on where you live (or travel) it becomes much easier for firearms to rust, therefore it's best to go with a more durable finish so that should you find yourself in a highly corrosive environment, been working all day, sweating the whole time, and by the time you get home you're so tired that you put off cleaning your firearm in the meantime, it won't rust overnight.
    "If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?" - Tuco Remírez - The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk. - Same

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links