Surface rust on carry gun - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Surface rust on carry gun

Member #
    Liked
    10963 times
    MiliTech1, A dry film lubricant or DFL, we used it in the desert in Iraq where dust and grime were the issue, but their old show demo at AUSA was a treated pistol sitting on the bottom of a salt water aquarium.

For application the gun needs to be heated until it is hot to the touch. An application should be good for several weeks. I use it in the striker channels of all my striker fired weapons and in all my magazines.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    29532 times
    Been using Break Free CLP for over 30 years now with great results. I light wipe down down ever week or so keeps the finish looking good.
    jwc007, xiholdtruex and 230JHP like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Member #
    Liked
    3983 times
    Keep it oiled -- often. Metal and moisture aren't friends but metal will be your friend if you keep it right.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    232 times
    "Wow I did forget did not even notice. I live in south florida where it is normally 60% + humidity and 80 degrees + unforgiving place for corrosion . I always carry in a kydex style holster. I sweat a ton all day due to my job so my pockets are ideal areas of salty sweaty humidity. Once I get home I either switch my carry gun into a owb kydex holster with a sweat guard or change into some clean shorts and pocket carry the smaller lcp.

I think that will problably be the best option to wipe down the gun every 2-3 days if the continues. It seems to only be surface rust so far. Tore the guns apart and they were clean. The lastbtime before this time I was only using rem oil and hoppes9. Breakfree clp seems to be better suited for this environment or have seen good results with wiping down with wd 40 lti corrosion inhibitor. I would assume any good oil reapplied regularly should do the trick hopefully".

xiholdtruex. Thank you for the information. I remember reading an article several years ago about an Alaskan guide trying to keep his rifle protected from the elements and still in working condition. I believe he used light machine oil on the blued surfaces, followed by multiple coats of wax, followed by wrapping the barrel in tape and keeping an oiled cloth over the action as possible. Fortunately, we have more options available to us these days. This forum is a good place for real experience and knowledge.
    When I worked in the rain, sleet, and snow, I cleaned and oiled my weapons every day before I retired for the evening. Some guys still disassemble, clean, lube, and assemble every evening. It becomes a habit. Modern polymer frames have reduced the amount of work needed, but as the saying goes "take good care of your equipment and it will take good care of you".
    My 2 cents.
    My 2 cents.
    Most guns out shoot most people.
    Taurus PT 92 series.

Member #
    Liked
    3251 times
    I carry pocket pistols in a holster that covers most of the gun, and I am very anal about keeping a light coat of oil on them as well.
    Are we there yet?
    USMC 83'-87'
    Indiana CCW, Utah CCW
    NRA Member

Member #
    Liked
    275 times
    Has anyone used Lps-2 to clean and keep the gun lubed up?

Member #
    Liked
    509 times
    I suggest you get some Ballistol and a shop rag. Spray the rag down pretty well with Ballistol from time to time and keep the rag in your closet or safe close to the guns so it is easily accessible. When you get home and put your pistol/s up for the night ---------------> unholster the gun/s and wipe everything on the exterior down with the rag. This will clean all acids off the gun and apply a light coat of rust preventing oil to the gun. This can be done with your carry knives once a week or so too.
    230JHP likes this.
    Wounds of the flesh a surgeon's skill may heal but wounded honour is only cured with steel.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    You may prefer to use BRONZE wool vs steel wool. The bronze wool will remove the rust but little if any bluing or scratches. It may be a little harder to find but probably available at most Ace hardware or equivalent.

Member #
    Liked
    249 times
    [QUOTE=xiholdtruex;5425371] I think that will problably be the best option to wipe down the gun every 2-3 days if the continues.

i wipe my carry gun every night before bed, i carry everyday here in Kentucky and the spring and fall can have bad humidity, the summers are crazy hot, if i was you i would use a lightly oiled rag and wipe down each day when you put the gun away. jmho on this.

Member #
    Liked
    154 times
    Wax is a good option. Kydex is hard on finishes also. Birchwood Casey makes a blue touch up pen that looks like a sharpie.
    "The strongest tactical move is always the one in which you reap the highest gain, at the lowest cost."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links