80% Glock Carry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 80% Glock Carry?

  1. #1
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    10444
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    10,513
    Liked
    25993 times

    80% Glock Carry?

    How would a LEO deal with a 80% Glock if it were found without serial numbers while you were carrying it? Is it legal to carry and if so, would your average LEO know that?
    777Driver and bobbojama like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

    “Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

    “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Member #
    45202
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    416
    Liked
    547 times
    I carry one everyday. It perfectly legal and I'm not sure how LEO would deal with it, but there isn't anything they can do.
    BigBlue and 777Driver like this.
    Edited signature to fit guidelines....

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Member #
    73271
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,477
    Liked
    1572 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    How would a LEO deal with a 80% Glock if it were found without serial numbers while you were carrying it? Is it legal to carry and if so, would your average LEO know that?
    I don't have one and I doubt I ever will, but I've read quite a bit about home built rifles because someday I'm going to try that! Anyway, from what I read, it is common to put one's own stamp on the gun, just so if someone comes across it, they think nothing of it because it has a "serial" number. You may not want to mark up your gun, but hey, if you don't mind it, come up with your own numbering scheme and put one on there.
    777Driver and BigBlue like this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    37162
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Country Living in NW Arkansas
    Posts
    7,120
    Liked
    10749 times
    It is still legal to build your own firearm in most states. There is no requirement to create a serial number or etch in some kind of tracking number/phrase. A self built firearm can not be sold or traded, it is only legal for the actual builder to possess. However I can about guarantee if you are involved in a traffic stop or a self defense shooting, and the officer sees no serial on the gun, you will be going downtown. Probably spend some time in lockup while they try and figure out how to record the firearm. But once again it is legal in most states, you may need an attorney to explain it to them. Here is the rub, any thing else they find in your possession , or if you have any outstanding warrant that is related to sex harassment or old felony. They will still upcharge you for possessing an unregistered firearm and leave it up to you to prove in court the firearm is legal and is not related to any other charge. Freedom is not free.
    BigBlue likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN



  6. #5
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    10444
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    10,513
    Liked
    25993 times
    There were too many cases over the years in Pennsylvania of LEOs that did not understand that we have no laws against open carry and as a result many OCs were held at gunpoint, thrown to the ground and disarmed and when all else failed arrested for creating a disturbance. Of course lawsuits ensued and an education was gained, but harassment can and does still occur. I could see the same sort of treatment for anyone found to be carrying a gun without a serial number which of course would also be blamed on a lack of education. While the law may be on your side, it's hollow succor to a man spending the weekend in jail.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

    “Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

    “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

  7. #6
    Super Moderator

    Member #
    7985
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Carrollton, Georgia
    Posts
    15,929
    Liked
    18148 times
    ^^^^^^^^^

    What were the charges or grounds for detainment when cases such as what you describe occur? And, how long have OC laws been on the books/common knowledge? Were the folks you referred to the object of “Swatting”?

    In Ga. both OC and CC have been allowed for as long as I recall. With a permit, of course. But our gun laws also protect the citizen in that it is illegal for LEO to ask to see your GWCL nor is it lawful that you, as a citizen, are obligated to show your GWCL with traffic stops; and I suspect the prohibition to show your permit is void if you are being detained for due cause. And, just being able to produce a GWCL upon request still doesn’t mean you didn’t commit a crime.
    BigBlue likes this.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

    “Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

    With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

    Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

  8. #7
    Supporting Member

    Member #
    10444
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Posts
    10,513
    Liked
    25993 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^

    What were the charges or grounds for detainment when cases such as what you describe occur? And, how long have OC laws been on the books/common knowledge? Were the folks you referred to the object of “Swatting”?

    In Ga. both OC and CC have been allowed for as long as I recall. With a permit, of course. But our gun laws also protect the citizen in that it is illegal for LEO to ask to see your GWCL nor is it lawful that you, as a citizen, are obligated to show your GWCL with traffic stops; and I suspect the prohibition to show your permit is void if you are being detained for due cause. And, just being able to produce a GWCL upon request still doesn’t mean you didn’t commit a crime.
    We have no laws against open carry in PA. unless your in Philadelphia or in a vehicle. Under those circumstances a carry permit is required to carry a loaded weapon, open or concealed. That would be the same permit which is required for concealed carry throughout the state. In most cases when someone was detained for open carry it became a case of "we wanted to make sure the gun wasn't stolen" or "how were we to know you weren't a criminal" and lastly as a catchall, the charge of disturbing the peace because some citizen was alarmed by your open display of a gun. All of these have been fought in court and have been determined not to be valid. In many cases suits were filed and won.
    daytonaredeye and Okie21 like this.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

    "Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

    “Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

    “During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Alabama Foothills
    Posts
    11,973
    Liked
    9877 times
    As far as I know, California is the only state that requires a serial number, even on the home built ones. I know Alabama does not. If I remember, California allowed you to put any serial number you wished on 80% pistols up until Jun of 2018, but I think you have to submit paperwork after that date and they will assign you a serial number.

    You are probably going to be better off with something resembling a serial number on your 80% pistol, just because few police know how to deal with a firearm without a serial number. I talked to a local police chief and he said it would not be a problem, as long as any shooting was justified. But we were talking about using such a pistol, not for a pull over, check, or something along that line.

    I will also tell you that the Polymer80 frames do not take a stamp on their serial number tag worth a flip, you better plan on laser etching. I have thought about having all of my 80% Glocks etched with the same serial number, just so they would all come back to my original Glock. If they ask, I could tell them I modified it.

    BTW, I CC a couple of my 80% Glocks. The old police chief told me the only real issue in a shooting is whether, or not it was justified, not whether the gun was legal, or not.
    Last edited by GreenWolf70; 04-23-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    BigBlue likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

  10. #9
    Senior Member
    Member #
    73271
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Kansas, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,477
    Liked
    1572 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWolf70 View Post
    As far as I know, California is the only state that requires a serial number, even on the home built ones. I know Alabama does not. If I remember, California allowed you to put any serial number you wished on 80% pistols up until Jun of 2018, but I think you have to submit paperwork after that date and they will assign you a serial number.

    You are probably going to be better off with something resembling a serial number on your 80% pistol, just because few police know how to deal with a firearm without a serial number. I talked to a local police chief and he said it would not be a problem, as long as any shooting was justified. But we were talking about using such a pistol, not for a pull over, check, or something along that line.

    I will also tell you that the Polymer80 frames do not take a stamp on their serial number tag worth a flip, you better plan on laser etching. I have thought about having all of my 80% Glocks etched with the same serial number, just so they would all come back to my original Glock. If they ask, I could tell them I modified it.

    BTW, I CC a couple of my 80% Glocks. The old police chief told me the only real issue in a shooting is whether, or not it was justified, not whether the gun was legal, or not.

    What an interesting idea. Wouldn't that throw the feds in a tizzy if there were a half a dozen guns with the same serial number?
    GreenWolf70 likes this.

  11. #10
    Senior Member
    Member #
    1005
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    North Alabama Foothills
    Posts
    11,973
    Liked
    9877 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaBravoKS View Post
    What an interesting idea. Wouldn't that throw the feds in a tizzy if there were a half a dozen guns with the same serial number?
    LOL, about the same as if they found a half dozen without any serial numbers.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2017, 10:14 PM
  2. First 80% lowers, Now 80% Glock Lowers
    By Texheim in forum The Firing Line
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 05:09 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2013, 02:22 PM