Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: NRA "Gun Free Zones"

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26543 times

NRA "Gun Free Zones"

I received an email today from the NRA in regards to "The NRA's Competitive Shooting Division is proud to present an incredible, affordable, one-day school designed for the new to intermediate long range shooter." Under a paragraph titled, "Additional Safety Language", is this sentence, "Please do not bring a “concealed carry” firearm into the training room." I was interested or I would not have read the email, but that sentence alone would be reason enough for me not to attend. Kind of hard to complain about businesses declaring their own "Gun Free Zones", when our fellow NRA members are doing the same.
    Last edited by BigBlue; 03-10-2019 at 05:41 PM.
    NRA-Patriot Endowment Life Member-Benefactor Level
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“Better to fight for something than live for nothing."-- George S. Patton

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Member #
    Liked
    5171 times
    No one wants anyone armed with them unless they know and have vetted them. I am sure if you detect someone is carrying a weapon near you, you don't trust them until you know them. It's just theway it is.
    Smokewagon likes this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    551 times
    Almost all NRA training I have attended is conducted in a "Gun Free Zone". The classrooms are very clearly posted that loaded firearms and ammunition is not permitted in the classroom.
    Think about it from the instructor's perspective...they do not know the frame of mind of anyone else in the room other than perhaps the other instructors that are also assisting in teaching the course.
    CaptainMorgan and Smokewagon like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan View Post
    No one wants anyone armed with them unless they know and have vetted them. I am sure if you detect someone is carrying a weapon near you, you don't trust them until you know them. It's just theway it is.
    That is mostly why i carry. I don't know them. I might need it.
    Where in A2 does it say keep and bare arms after you trust them? Why would you even unholster your ccw in a high power class? Sorry, don't ask don't tell always works for me. It's just the way it is.
    CaptainMorgan and BigBlue like this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    30971 times
    In what city is this class being held? The NRA is bound by state laws regarding concealed carry, so I'm wondering if wherever this class is, if the laws there prevent people from carrying.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    667 times
    The only time i have seen this is for ccw classes. Do not bring your ccw weapon to class unless class is at the range.
    1. You're not licensed to carry yet.
    2. No handling of firearms unless on the firing line of the range.
    Only blue trainers in class room.

My ccw is just that, mine. No more a danger than any other time i carry. I'm competent and licensed. Go clime up a rope.
    BigBlue and gbusmech like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by texastaurusguy View Post
    In what city is this class being held? The NRA is bound by state laws regarding concealed carry, so I'm wondering if wherever this class is, if the laws there prevent people from carrying.
    Peacemaker National Training Center
    1624 Brannons Ford Rd
    Glegary, WV 25420
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't." -- Ben Franklin

“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act” – George Orwell

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickthus View Post
    The only time i have seen this is for ccw classes. Do not bring your ccw weapon to class unless class is at the range.
    1. You're not licensed to carry yet.
    2. No handling of firearms unless on the firing line of the range.
    Only blue trainers in class room.

My ccw is just that, mine. No more a danger than any other time i carry. I'm competent and licensed. Go clime up a rope.
    Under the circumstances you describe it's understandable. They are there to learn the safe handling of weapons so it is appropriate to assume they don't know how before hand. However in a long range rifle class there is no such reasonable assumption. Obviously anyone seen with a CCW unholstered should be tossed from the class for everyone's safety.

This is not a matter of trust, it's a matter of respecting the rights of all law abiding Americans to keep and bear arms. If the NRA doesn't respect that right, how can we expect the rest of the public to respect that right? Personally I would feel much safer in a room filled with armed citizens than I would in a room designated as a "Gun Free Zone".
    Ickthus likes this.
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

Member #
    Liked
    2169 times
    The 2A does not restrict the rights of property owners. You set standards at your home, NRA sets standards for their areas and areas they rent.
    DeltaBravoKS and pegasus like this.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    26543 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
    The 2A does not restrict the rights of property owners. You set standards at your home, NRA sets standards for their areas and areas they rent.
    In my view the standard the NRA is setting here is hypocritical and as a Benefactor level life member of the NRA I'm writing and calling for a change to that policy. While the NRA rightly rails against the dangers of the imposition of "Gun Free Zones" in schools, malls and movie theaters, they are also imposing their own "Gun Free Zones". Does that sound right to you?
    Ickthus likes this.
    GOA-Life Member
    SAF-Member
    Deplorable-Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links