what to put on leather holster? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: what to put on leather holster?

Member #
    Liked
    7710 times
    I've never put anything on leather holsters.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Student of the ancient Chinese art of Bang Pow.

Gun Shui adviser

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." Robert E. Howard, "The Tower of the Elephant" (1933)

Make 2020 the year of MABA- Make Alex Bartend Again.

Member #
    Liked
    339 times
    Wipe em' off with a damp (not wet) cloth, followed by a dry cloth....but only when/if something got on/in them.

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    If you are looking to remold a holster to your pistol, don't do like that video. Saranwrap works much better than a plastic bag, since it is tighter fitting and less likely to let any water in. I would take warm water in a spray bottle and pretty much soak the inside without getting the water all over the outside. Then I use foam with thick plywood or scrap wood on the outside and clamp the holster with the pistol inside, between the foam. I bought a cheap foam Yoga mat at Wally World and cut it up. Let it sit clamped up for a day, or until it dries.

When my holster is dirty, I spray some ArmorAll, or equivalent, on a rag and wipe the holster down.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    402 times
    Nothing.
    Czechbikr, jtg452 and histed like this.
    The next handgun I buy will be the next to last handgun I ever buy!

Member #
    Liked
    32181 times
    This is a good example of the value of putting your location in your profile. What you might want to put on a holster depends on what's happening to the leather. In humid areas, if it's lost it's finish and is absorbing more water (which will soften it), I'd rub or spray some Fiebing's Leather Sheen onto it. That will reseal it and stiffen it a bit. If you're in the blessed dry lands, and start to see the leather really drying out, then use a little bit of leather conditioner cream (not much), and if that softens it a bit more than you'd like, let it dry well and then follow it up with Fiebing's.

To wet form leather, I start with unfinished, unsealed leather and rub a wet sponge (not dripping, but more than just damp) over the inside. Protect the gun with oil and plastic, and then use fingers and a couple of tools to mold the leather. When I'm happy with the molding, I use the best, custom-made holster press Sealy can give me. Stick to posturepedic, avoid water beds. Seriously, putting it between a matress and box spring is perfect. Just add some folded wash cloths to keep the overall shape as flat as possible, so the critical triggerguard molding comes out well. I've used this method and made leather holsters that click like kydex when the gun snaps home. It's a bit different with finished leather from a commercial manufacturer, but you'll still get decent shaping using this method.
    jtg452, GreenWolf70 and Czechbikr like this.
    "It is wonderful, in the event of a street fight, how few bullets seem to hit the men they are aimed at." Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail, Theodore Roosevelt, 1888

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33537 times
    Once or twice a year, I put boot polish on mine, then buff with a brush. Just like my boots, only I do them more often.
    Not that the holster really needs anything, it just helps keep the thing looking nice.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    This is a good example of the value of putting your location in your profile. What you might want to put on a holster depends on what's happening to the leather. In humid areas, if it's lost it's finish and is absorbing more water (which will soften it), I'd rub or spray some Fiebing's Leather Sheen onto it. That will reseal it and stiffen it a bit. If you're in the blessed dry lands, and start to see the leather really drying out, then use a little bit of leather conditioner cream (not much), and if that softens it a bit more than you'd like, let it dry well and then follow it up with Fiebing's.

To wet form leather, I start with unfinished, unsealed leather and rub a wet sponge (not dripping, but more than just damp) over the inside. Protect the gun with oil and plastic, and then use fingers and a couple of tools to mold the leather. When I'm happy with the molding, I use the best, custom-made holster press Sealy can give me. Stick to posturepedic, avoid water beds. Seriously, putting it between a matress and box spring is perfect. Just add some folded wash cloths to keep the overall shape as flat as possible, so the critical triggerguard molding comes out well. I've used this method and made leather holsters that click like kydex when the gun snaps home. It's a bit different with finished leather from a commercial manufacturer, but you'll still get decent shaping using this method.
    I think what you are looking for in wet forming is vegetable tanned leather, as opposed to chrome tanned leather.
    Battle of Wanat: 10 years ago last 13 July, 1LT Brostram was killed in combat killing the last enemy combatant in the outpost. The LT went to the point of decision and made the difference that turned the tide of the battle. The original investigation found the Bde Cmdr, the Bn Cmdr and the Co Cmdr at fault for dereliction of duty. If you want to see what a sarcastic silver star citation reads like, pull up the company commander's silver star.

Member #
    Liked
    2253 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    This is a good example of the value of putting your location in your profile. What you might want to put on a holster depends on what's happening to the leather. In humid areas, if it's lost it's finish and is absorbing more water (which will soften it), I'd rub or spray some Fiebing's Leather Sheen onto it. That will reseal it and stiffen it a bit. If you're in the blessed dry lands, and start to see the leather really drying out, then use a little bit of leather conditioner cream (not much), and if that softens it a bit more than you'd like, let it dry well and then follow it up with Fiebing's. SNIP...

What he said. Location will probably determine which treatment is better suited to you.

I live in the hot and dry parts of Arizona. Atmospheric humidity is practically nonexistent.

Body sweat, however, can be a big worry here, especially during summer. So I just did what the ancient Romans did to make their leather ARMOR sturdy and waterproof: hot waxed it.
    I'm talking dip-the-whole-thing-in-melted-paraffin. Wipe off excess, put (plastic-wrapped) sidearm in, put holster on your belt, and feel the pleasure/pain of the hot waxed holster modeling itself to your sidearm and your curves. :P

You can also go "adding layer by layer" like this Canuck:
    Hot Waxing Leather Sheaths
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Member #
    Liked
    11144 times
    I have used the "hot wax" method on many knife sheathes and on a few pocket holsters. I mix mink oil into melted paraffin, instead of just wax. The problem with hot wax is when it sets, it is hard. There is little to no bend and you can literally break a piece of the leather off, if you try. It is 100% waterproof. Works well on knife sheathes as long as you leave an outlet for water at the bottom of the sheath, otherwise it will fill up. I have a Kazan Oda fixed blade knife by Pacific Cutlery that I made a sheath for in 1994 (roughly 25 years ago). It went with me to Bosnia and Iraq, then it went to Afghanistan with my youngest son. It came back that time covered in dirt and dust from patrolling in the mountains. I wiped it down with a wet cloth, it is fine and shows little if any wear. The leather was wet formed around the knife and it still snaps in and out with a click.

I used hot wax on my homemade pocket holster, but I am not so sure I would use it on a belt holster, or anything I expect to bend, or move.

I make my own holsters and on my Super and Mini Tuck style holsters I use a water based finish/sealer called Satin Shene by Tandy. It doesn't crack, allows the leather to remain flexible, has not dried out on any holster I have used it on, doesn't let dye bleed through, and seems to hold up well against sweat/salt. All these style holsters I make out of horsehide and Kydex. Horsehide is tougher, stronger and holds up to sweat better than cowhide.
    Czechbikr likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    197 times
    Do a Google search for Ballistol. It can be useded on wood, leather, all kinds of things beside gun cleaning and lube.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Two Revolvers every day all day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links