Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Carry by a School Bus Stop in Florida

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    583 times

Carry by a School Bus Stop in Florida

230JHP posted the following in another thread in this area...
    Florida (emphasis added)

790.115:
    (2)(a) A person shall not possess any firearm, electric weapon or device, destructive device, or other weapon as defined in s. 790.001(13), including a razor blade or box cutter, except as authorized in support of school-sanctioned activities, at a school-sponsored event or on the property of any school, school bus, or school bus stop; however, a person may carry a firearm:1. In a case to a firearms program, class or function which has been approved in advance by the principal or chief administrative officer of the school as a program or class to which firearms could be carried;
    2. In a case to a career center having a firearms training range; or
    3. In a vehicle pursuant to s. 790.25(5); except that school districts may adopt written and published policies that waive the exception in this subparagraph for purposes of student and campus parking privileges.

Finding what constitutes a bus stop is a little more difficult. Is a place where kids gather to get on the bus a bus stop before the bus gets there? How long before the bus or first kid gets there, how close to the place where the bus stop does the area extend, and for how long after the bus leaves? If I stop for gas at a convenience store and the school bus stops 20 yards away on the adjacent street, am I at a school bus stop? How about if I am walking down the sidewalk past a school bus that is loading or unloading kids -- does that put me carrying at a school bus stop?

I happen to live by an unposted school bus stop in Florida and I own firearms... My concern is wishing to remain legal. I have thought of contacting the Transportation
    section of my local School Board to request that they move the school bus stop so it will no longer be in front of my neighbor's house. The school bus drivers do not always stop the bus at my neighbor's driveway, sometimes the bus is stopped across both driveways. I also am not overly pleased with the litter left by the school children in my or my neighbor's yard but I realize I cannot speak for my neighbor (who just happens to have two kids that ride the buses that stop in front of his or our houses).
    MOONDAWG likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    29533 times
    WOW...I bet most Floridians are unaware of this statute!
    ICUKev and MARINEDIVISIONTWO like this.
    NULLI SECUNDUS

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    10681 times
    I have several routes of various mileage that I walk in the mornings, depending on how much time and energy I have on a particular day, but each route takes me along the sidewalk of our school and across an intersection manned by a crossing guard. Obviously the school busses disgorge their passengers nearby.

I have opted for "don't ask, don't tell" about the concealed weapon I always carry, but I admit to having wondered about the legality of it.
    "The large print giveth, the small print taketh away..." Tom Waits
    "If the Dawn Patrol's gotta tell you twice they're gonna do it with a shotgun..." Steely Dan
    "Actually that is a pistol in my pocket..... But I am glad to see you." coopercdrkey
    Nemo me impune lacessit ​ No one provokes me with impunity
    Florida Concealed Carry Permit

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    5443 times
    Just don't say anything.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Telling someone in authority about your situation has the potential to REALLY screw up your life.

All the Best,
    D. White
    230JHP, ICUKev, MoMan and 4 others like this.
    __________________________________________________ __________
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual
    rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Member #
    Liked
    7052 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhite View Post
    Just don't say anything.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Telling someone in authority about your situation has the potential to REALLY screw up your life.

All the Best,
    D. White
    True, but it likely depends a lot on your location.

There are more than a few people who have been jammed up on bogus weapons possession charges, and 'I didn't know' didn't work so well.
    ICUKev likes this.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    46578 times
    Laws like this one are dangerous. The spirit of the law is one thing. The misguided intentions of gun grabbers is another.

Here is another twist.

I go to the local grocery store carrying my firearm as always. Do my shopping and proceed to the check-out line. As the cashier is ringing up my purchases I notice the elementary school safety patrol is there bagging groceries and looking for donations to help fund their annual safety patrol trip to Washington DC. Am I now in violation of 790.115? I would say the spirit of the law says no. I'm sure one could argue that I am in fact at a school sponsored event and am violating the law.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

The 2nd amendment is not about hunting or shooting sports, it is about the citizens of this country having the means to protect themselves and the states from the tyranny, oppression, and misery of an over powering government. Modern rifles are a means for the citizens to stand up to an over powering government.

Taurusarmed.net Where are you map?

Member #
    Liked
    3305 times
    I wouldn't tell or make waves about what you have as it can go sideways quickly. Also, there is counter argument that the bus is next to your property and you have the right to have your firearm on it. You're not committing a crime on your property but by alerting them can cause the uninformed snowflakes to freakout. Someone might want to try a red flag law on you as they could say"kids aren't safe" with you there mowing the lawn or washing the car?
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    989 times
    Florida has been Republican controlled for many years now. Laws like this and other ...."bend over and take it up the rear" guns laws should have been done away with long ago! Thanks to the southern Fl RINOS that mostly are born and bred Floridians that somehow get screwed up when they go to northern universities and colleges for their degrees and get in to politics, Cuban American politicians (you chose from which local chapter of Cuban America mafia they are controlled by) ) and the ever popular Miami area Puerto Ricans, the bought and paid for so called Republican candidates elected time after time.....these laws will stay.
    230JHP and MoMan like this.
    "She said her name was Emergency and asked to see my gun....said her telephone number was 911"

Member #
    Liked
    508 times
    I also was surprised by the statute ! When we go to Florida wintertime I will usually get the grandkids off on the school bus and upon returning wait and get them home they were elementary level and high school. I have always CCW at all these times,even though I am LEOSA I belive that makes no difference.All parents and guardians should be permitted to collect their children and be armed ! How the hell did Florida politicians get this passed and how long has it been on the code ?

Member #
    Liked
    24745 times
    I definitely would not call anyone in any authority as they may take their response too far and you end up being the focus of the issue.

The issue is a bad law.

There is a group in Florida that has fought for your right to carry. I suggest you join them and post your concern to their boards. They will likely have good information.

https://www.floridacarry.org/

MOLON LABE
    "Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace." ~James Madison

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links