Analogy about the possible effectiveness of CC in a mass shooting situation - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Analogy about the possible effectiveness of CC in a mass shooting situation

Member #
    Liked
    7227 times
    I think that would depend on the ability of the concealed carrier. If you shoot at someone hellbent on killing a lot of people you can bet they will divert their attention to you if you miss. You may well be outgunned so make your shots count or try to get away and use your weapon in a last resort scenario.
    ETF, pegasus and rice paddy daddy like this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    36679 times
    Quote Originally Posted by .452dia View Post
    I think that would depend on the ability of the concealed carrier. If you shoot at someone hellbent on killing a lot of people you can bet they will divert their attention to you if you miss. You may well be outgunned so make your shots count or try to get away and use your weapon in a last resort scenario.
    In addition to the likelihood of inflicting collateral damage to bystanders.
    rice paddy daddy likes this.
    We, in the USA, have become that which our ancestors fled.

Member #
    Liked
    1123 times
    It all depends on the situation.

The texas church shooter had body armor so you would have had to have a head shot. the guy yesterday at the mcdonalds was taken out by a a armed civilian, my guess is he didn't have body armor.

But in any situation if you are armed at least there is a chance.

The guy at the krogers who killed 2 people wasn't able to kill more because a armed bystander engaged him in a gun fight. he wasn't able to hit him and take him down but kept him occupied until police came.
    777Driver likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Liked
    2875 times
    If you are in that situation and have no means to get a clear shot, find an exit or find a strategic way to fight back. You are liable for misses, but the bad guy doesn’t care about collateral damage. You are under no expectation under the law to protect anyone but yourself, unless you choose to.
    Czechbikr, ETF, 777Driver and 2 others like this.

Member #
    Liked
    1366 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Czechbikr View Post
    I have been wrestling with a similar question that I was going to start a thread on. There was a carjacking in the village near me last week, in fact the little village I grew up in. It's grown from 1700 people to over 35,000 as I have grown old and apparently changed in other ways.

A lady in her 60's was leaving a food store and two guys stated that they had a gun and were going to take her car. They punched her out, probably unnecessarily, and took her car which was found abandoned 5 miles south.

My question is ...if approached and threatened verbally with the person claiming they have a firearm yet not producing one, would you respond with deadly force? Or take the chance to wait and be late on the draw?
    Draw early and hold at low ready. If at that point they do anything but turn & run, I would start firing.
    pegasus likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    21288 times
    In a church or other mass shooting scenario, I fall in the Noblesse Oblige camp. Those who have the power to do something must because of those who cannot. I also believe that if you have CC permitted in areas, you're not going to be the only person carrying concealed. Depending on the area, you could have upwards of 5 people carrying out of a group of 50.
    777Driver and CaptainMorgan like this.
    PT1911 - 45ACP, Pietta 1873 SAA - 45LC, PT709SS slim, Heritage RR 6.5" 22LR/Mag dual cylinders
    1939 Tula 91/30 Nugget, Evil Copper and Black Rifle, Savage B-Mag in 17WSM
    Mossberg 535 12ga
    GPS Coordinates to lake where they all reside. Always wear your life vests kids. Boating accidents DO happen.

Member #
    Liked
    3329 times
    If I'm out in public, there is an 80% chance I'm with my wife. In that case, my sole concern is getting her to safety. If I'm shooting, I'm most likely covering her retreat.
    pegasus, Car_Doc and ETF like this.
    "Failure requires maximum effort. If you didn't give it 100%, you didn't fail...you quit."
    "When calling for air support, never give them your own coordinates." -- Major Swain US Army
    "You have attributed conditions to villainy that simply result from stupidity" -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never frighten a man smaller than you; he'll kill you." -- Robert A. Heinlein
    "Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance" -- Sam Johnson

Member #
    Liked
    7227 times
    In addition to the likelihood of inflicting collateral damage to bystanders.
    I'm not saying don't take bystanders into account in your decision to shoot but if someone is shooting people indiscriminately in a crowed building then he must be stopped. If I could find some kind of cover I would do my best to shoot straight but I would shoot if at all possible.
    pegasus and CaptainMorgan like this.
    NC DCJTSD Certified Concealed Carry Handgun Instructor
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Member #
    Liked
    1736 times
    Interesting that this story happened more than 70 years ago. It sounds like someone in today's world who is wanting to "ensure" something will work. The only things that we can "ensure" are that you will die, and you will owe taxes. Things fail, people fail. I was never a scout, but one can always try his best to "be prepared".
    CaptainMorgan likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    8805 times
    I am afraid that I clouded the issue. The question here is whether or not a concealed carry is effective in a mass shooting...crowded venue.
    I think it can be, on a small scale. There are a number of dangers. 1) When the cops get there, they are on an adrenaline rush and will be hard pressed to tell the good guys from the bad guys (if the bad have not already suicided). 2) The vast majority of CHL holders have their card, a gun and that's all - very little or no SD training. Standing and shooting at a bullseye target is not combat training. 3) It is not the charter of a CHL holder to be protector of anyone or anything not directly associated with him/her - family, dependents, self, home, car. For example (not a terrorist situation) if I walk into a bank armed and a robbery takes place, unless I or my family is directly threatened, I'll be a good witness. 4) Even with very good situational awareness, it would be hard or impossible to spot all of the perpetrators should there be multiple or even spot the only one for sure.

On the other hand, if it's a sure thing and one can take a good from-cover shot, (to the head since the bad guy could be wearing body armor) it could serve to mitigate a mass shooting. But I am of the opinion that a CHL holder would not really make a tremendous difference.
    Czechbikr likes this.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    I love my country, but I fear my government.
    "The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything.” Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads | My Threads | My Posts

Sponsored Links