Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Carry in your house of worship?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2545 times

Carry in your house of worship?

Given the shooting yesterday in Pittsburgh, I wondered if any of you had any experience with feedback regarding carrying in your house of worship. I'm not going to ask if you carry there yourself, I probably wouldn't answer that question myself as I don't think it's probably prudent to discuss my personal life on the Internet. However, I wondered if any of you attended somewhere that it had been discussed, prohibited, frowned upon, encouraged, etc.

As I was manning the door at my church this morning, I was considering possible reactions to some nut-job coming in with ill intentions. We have several cops that attend and they are armed. I'm guessing our conservative congregation in Kansas would not be hostile toward random members carrying, but as far as I know, the topic has never officially come up. What about your own experience?
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    33258 times
    Carry in churches in Texas is common. My church even encourages it. But the preacher has requested that if you do, that it be concealed. For that to be enforceable, a state compliant sign would be required to be posted, which it isn't. Many carry in our congregation.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Member #
    Liked
    5878 times
    I live in a rural county. I know there's at least a dozen or more carrying in every church. It is not discouraged by anyone.
    TheOldRedneck, darbo and MoMan like this.
    "I can't fix stupid but I can fix stupid's dog"

Taurus PT111 G2, Taurus 709 Slim, Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45ACP, High Standard Double Nine .22/.22WMR, AR-15 .223/5.56 PSA, Herter's FN Mauser 30.06, Remington 572 Fieldmaster Pump .22, Savage 93R17F, Mossberg 715T, Raven P25

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    31459 times
    Like Smokewagon said, it's a very carry-friendly state here. I went to a church 8 or 9 years ago where I was close to the pastor and he encouraged me to carry, along with anybody else who had a CHL (now LTC). Unless a church has a sign on the door that is a valid sign recognized by the state of Texas, you can carry in churches with no problem.
    TheOldRedneck likes this.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" - Benjamin Franklin

When Leonidas was preparing to make his stand, a Persian envoy arrived. The envoy explained to Leonidas the futility of trying to resist the advance of the huge Persian army and demanded that the Spartans lay down their arms. Leonidas told Xerxes "MOLON LABE", or "Come And Get Them."

NRA and TSRA member, and proud Texas LTC holder

Member #
    Liked
    1544 times
    Yup. Policy has always been if you're legal to carry feel free to do so.
    HOWEVER, a year or so ago our insurance company mandated that members of the Security Team NOT be allowed to carry due to potential liability of people in a security role carrying firearms without having received some kind of approved training.
    I quit the Security Team and joined the Ushers ministry. No prohibitions were placed on Ushers.

Member #
    Liked
    5226 times
    Our church has stated in memorandum form that as long as you are legally licensed to carry its not a problem. If they said no carry at all I'd have to make a decision to carry anyway or seek out a church where perhaps having to defend myself and family from a whacko would not cause them to get bent out of shape.
    Taurus PT111G2 - Ruger LCPII - Charter Undercover .38 Spc - M'berg Mav88 Pistol Grip - M'berg 715T - Charles Daly Superior 12g O/U Trap - Heritage Rough Rider .22LR/WMR - Henry Classic Lever .22LR - Marlin 336W .30-30 Lever - Phoenix HP22LR - NAA .22WMR Mini-Revolver w/ Pocket Clip - GSG 1911-22 - H&R Young American .32 Safety Hammer NF (circa 1890)

USCG '77-'83 Semper Paratus - CGC Point Evans WPB82376 - MSO LA/LB SaR & Drug Interdiction Response Team

NRA / Tx LTC

ETF
    Member #
    Liked
    2203 times
    Our church has no rules or recomendations either way. It's much like the old "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. There are no prohibiting signs and I know several people who very probably do but they call it concealed carry for a reason. Heck, I know that one of the guys puts his pistol in a Zip lock bag and takes it in to the shower with him. Visions of Psycho!!! Do you think that he's going to leave it at home in order to go to church?

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2545 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ETF View Post
    Our church has no rules or recomendations either way. It's much like the old "Don't ask, don't tell" policy. There are no prohibiting signs and I know several people who very probably do but they call it concealed carry for a reason. Heck, I know that one of the guys puts his pistol in a Zip lock bag and takes it in to the shower with him. Visions of Psycho!!! Do you think that he's going to leave it at home in order to go to church?
    Wow, now that guy is prepared. Was his gun baptized along with him?

Member #
    Liked
    3569 times
    I know of someone who carries at his church. In Ohio you cannot carry in a church, even with a CHL, unless a church leader gives you permission. For many years the churches policy was no, unless you were an off duty or retired cop. After a series of church shootings and attendence started going down in part due to their policies, this particular church started allowing CHL holders the ability to carry (concealed only) with the provision that chamber loaded carry was prohibitied. It's either chamber empty or nothing, because the church is deathly afraid someone might drop their gun and it will accidentally go off, etc. Part of the problem was that they supposedly consulted with a "security expert" (which was basically an off duty cop who teaches CC courses) and asked how to guarantee a gun won't go off if it's dropped or the trigger is accidentally pulled? The answer was of course there was no guarentee, that any loaded gun can potentially go off with a negligent owner. The so called "expert" didn't say people should carry chamber empty, he was merely being truthful about how guns work. So this guy who goes to this church carries two guns, (which is allowed) One is a revolver, the other is a semi auto with a loaded magazine inserted for a "backup" or "NY reload". For anything requiring up close and personal the revolver will hopefully allow him to get into a position where he will have the extra hand free and extra half second to chamber a round if needed.

If all this sounds like a lot of trouble to be able to defend yourself you're right but hey, it's better than the alternative. It's a baby step in the right direction for the church, unlike other churches who still won't allow concealed carry at all regardless of events in the news.

I wish Ohio would treat churches like any private business. If a church doesn't want their flock to legally carry they should put a no guns sign on the door instead of hiding behind the current law and not wanting to face the issue of whether or not the members should have the right to at least have a chance of protecting themselves against a mass murderer. I make the proactive choice that I don't shop at businesses that tell me I or members of my family must be a defenseless victim in their store and I won't go to a church that says the same thing. I care too much about the safety of my family members to allow unneccesary risks.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    7054 times
    Many churches aren't operating with an excess of funds as it is. The liability insurance associated with organization-sanctioned concealed carry can be a stumbling block.

The church I attend was clear on their policy -- they do not ask anyone, or give permission to anyone, to carry concealed. But they will not interfere with anyone lawfully exercising their Constitutional rights.

I asked one of the pastors what he'd do if there was ever an incident in the worship center, and his answer was that he'd duck. He said he's pretty sure that on any typical Sunday, we've got as much ammunition in the pews as Academy has on the shelves. Yeah, he was stretching it just a little, but after finding out that some of the sweet little old ladies are toting sweet little old .38s, I'm beginning to wonder how much of a stretch he's making.

There are a few points of concern for me -- one is the old guy with Coke-bottle glasses that carries a Judge because he can't see the sights too well.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links