Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Carry in your house of worship?

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30469 times
    As far as I know, I'm the only one in our small congregation that carries. Our pastor knows and appreciates that I carry. We hired him partly because of his conservatism. There's one other fellow that I suspect might carry, but he's in the hospital at the moment after a heart attack. He's doing well now, but still not in church.

We only have about 30 members at the moment. It's growing slowly.
    PreacherRodgers and pegasus like this.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    3277 times
    It's really interesting how carrying in churches is a newish topic. I've been a member of several churches growing up and know for sure there has always been some armed people in them. I've been an usher at some also and learned it's all about layers of security and not all armed. From parking lot attendants to children workers. Eyes and walkie talkies are best. That way an armed response can be directed accordingly. And this was when the worst thing that was heard of was a pastor being punched.
    pegasus likes this.
    Life is full of give and take. Give thanks and take nothing for granted!

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by MidniteTweeker View Post
    From what I gather, churches (or probably any place) needs to be cautious if/when they create a designated "security team." To many, that implies a certain level of training has been provided. Some may even interpret to mean these volunteers are "security professionals." Mostly they are not. They may (and probably do) have plans and procedures in place, but the uncomfortable truth is, while the church is a target-rich environment for a bad guy, it's also a potential payday for a shyster lawyer.

Unlike other encounters where you may have the options to deescalate, disengage and retreat, those likely will not be available. Instead the security team will be faced with the chaotic pandemonium of panicked brothers and sisters. It's not pleasant to contemplate the consequences of any shot fired under those conditions.

If the church officially sanctions and/or has any part in creating a security team, in all likelihood it will almost certainly face court action afterwards. As may the security team members themselves, especially if their only qualifications are a willingness to serve and carry a gun.

My church is not posted (though some members believe it should be) and there is no "formal" security team, at least on paper. Informally, there is a group who keeps eyes on entrances and will ensure the nursery gets locked down in case of an incident. And I've heard whispers that as many as 35 people in each Sunday morning service (there are two) may be armed, though I have no idea where that number came from.

My personal plan has my wife at highest priority; there's just the two of us. We'll be sheltering under the seats as I peek out. If the mayhem is as bad as I envision, there will not be a clear shot. What happens next most certainly is up in the air.
    That's why many churches don't have "security teams". They have SAFETY teams tasked with doing many things in regards to safety of its attendees. Dealing with any sort of incident, medical, accidental, any number of things that happen when a large group of people get together.
    jturner3, pegasus and 230JHP like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator

Member #
    Liked
    18401 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHorse View Post
    I can't remember the last time I was in my church unarmed. We had our reformation day/Octoberfest celebration last Sunday, which means banquet and beer. I participated in the banquet, but not the beer. Zero tolerance while carrying. There are more than just me who carry. And I carry my 15-round 1911
    Which model is that?

I’m in the “don’t ask don’t tell” group but several of us guys conceal carry and we pretty much know who each other are.
    Last edited by daytonaredeye; 11-04-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member
    GeorgiaCarry.org

“Violent crime is feasible only when it’s victims are cowards. A victim who fights back makes the whole business impractical. - Col Jeff Cooper

With over 200 million firearms in private possession, in addition to a collective ammo round count of over a trillion rounds, it should be obvious that we in the firearm community and culture are NOT the problem!

Governments don’t create human rights; they either recognize them or suppress them

Member #
    Liked
    1158 times
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonaredeye View Post

I’m in the “don’t ask don’t tell” group but several of us guys conceal carry and we pretty much know who each other are.

Exactly as it should be.

A couple of years ago, I hosted a "Burgers & Bullets" day at my club range. The turnout was eight guys who were serious and had some training (ex-cop, prison-guard, Sand-Box veterans, &c.) and then three I would NEVER have suspected.

We have shot together a few times since, in small groups, and know one-another enough to be aware of the whole bunch. We know who does carry and can react to what degree.

But nothing is formalized so far, and the "DA - DT" seems to prevail.

Flash
    You must be careful what you pretend to be, because in the end, you are what you pretend to be.
    ....................Kurt Vonnegut, in "Mother Night"

All governments suffer a recurring problem: Power attracts pathological personalities. It is not that power corrupts but that it is magnetic to the corruptible. Such people have a tendency to become drunk on violence, a condition to which they are quickly addicted. . . . . . . . . . . . .. — Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

Member #
    Liked
    6329 times
    One thing I've noticed that's mildly amusing is with our Bible study group. We are a hugging group and if you've been in our class as more than just a casual visitor you can't get through the door and over to the refreshment table without running a veritable gauntlet of hugs from the ladies and handshakes from the guys.

I've noticed (and especially so after a publicized shooting) that there are a few of the ladies who, as they step back after the hug, let their hand drift down to do a quick check at my 4 o'clock belt line.

Nothing said, no reaction (it's pretty much the wives of other guys in the class who I know to carry) -- just a quick check.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Super Moderator

Member #
    The end of the road between Sodom and Gomorrah Texas
    Liked
    30469 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    One thing I've noticed that's mildly amusing is with our Bible study group. We are a hugging group and if you've been in our class as more than just a casual visitor you can't get through the door and over to the refreshment table without running a veritable gauntlet of hugs from the ladies and handshakes from the guys.

I've noticed (and especially so after a publicized shooting) that there are a few of the ladies who, as they step back after the hug, let their hand drift down to do a quick check at my 4 o'clock belt line.

Nothing said, no reaction (it's pretty much the wives of other guys in the class who I know to carry) -- just a quick check.
    This happened to me at our Wednesday night bible class, supper. We got there early to prep the main course, a Mexican pork soup my wife makes, and one of the elders walks up behind me and pats me on the 605 Poly carried 4 oclock strong side. He said nothing, just small talk about the pig I shot to make the soup and how's the hunting been? He knows I carry, everyone in the church does, but we don't bring it up in conversation.
    Taurus M85UL Rossi Sportsman .22
    Taurus M66 3" blue Rossi 3"M68
    Taurus M66 4" Nickel Rossi Carbine in .357 Mag
    Taurus 605 Poly Protector
    Taurus PT 145
    Taurus TH9c

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    First and foremost I truly feel sad that many have been placed in a situation to be concerned with safety at a Home of Worship however, to be prepared is the only solution. I have been carrying for over 25 years personal, enforcement, bail enforcement, security and personal protection(bodyguard) and thankfully up to this very day my weapon has not been fired unless at the range/desert. Times are drastically changing for the worse and we have to be able to defend our safety.
    To all have a very blessed day
    NativeTexan likes this.
    M&P .357 sig full size
    M&P .357c
    M&P 9mm full size
    Millennium g2

Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    I carry everywhere not prohibited by law, and that includes church. Since the references for my carry license were the men of my church, they know I carry and approve.
    Last edited by Gunner4868; 11-19-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    A .380 in your pocket is better than a .45 at home.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Sponsored Links