Carry in your house of worship? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Carry in your house of worship?

Member #
    Liked
    757 times
    I always concealed carry in church here in Central Texas!

Member #
    Liked
    316 times
    When I was on the board of trustees at my church we created a policy that we would not post signs, but that open carry would not be permitted. Any usher or staff member is authorized to request that openly carried weapons be concealed or removed. That process is enforceable in Texas. We also had our police department present a class, open to anyone who wished to attend, on how to respond to an active shooter situation.

I know that some members carry every Sunday and as far as I know there have never been any objections. As previously mentioned, we’re fortunate to live in a gun friendly area.
    Taurus M65
    S&W 642
    FNH FNX-9
    Kahr CM9
    Canik/TriStar S120
    Browning Buck Mark Plus
    Savage/Stevens M58 20ga.
    Remington Speedmaster .22

Member #
    Liked
    3945 times
    Regarding the Pittsburg incident, it's really so sad people can't worship or go to school or even a movie without some deranged person slaughtering a bunch of folks.
    Sad that the mentally ill are going unrecognized and untreated but that's our modern world.
    Keep praying any us or our loved ones don't end up wrong place at the wrong time.

4. Remove Advertisements
    TaurusArmed.net
    Advertisements

Administrator

Member #
    Liked
    32995 times
    There is another benefit to an armed congregation. I've noticed a great improvement in the quality and brevity of the pastor's messages.
    ​All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife.

Texas friendly, spoken here.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    11112 times
    After the Sutherland Tx shooting the elders and pastor of our little country church asked me to help them with church defense. We created a policy allowing concealed carry permit holders to provide armed defense. There are three of us who have been approved so far. I carry a full size IWB every Sunday, the other carriers cover Wednesdays.
    WoodyUSSLUCE likes this.
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN

Member #
    Liked
    6909 times
    In the days of the Puritans, men were required to attend church with loaded weapons.

They understood the importance of united defense.
    Most stereotypes come from how you treated the last person who didn't know you.

Supporting Member

Member #
    Liked
    2358 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokewagon View Post
    There is another benefit to an armed congregation. I've noticed a great improvement in the quality and brevity of the pastor's messages.
    Amen!

Member #
    Liked
    5958 times
    This same subject has come up here a number of times. I don't see why there is a question about whether you should be armed in church or not. Church is no different then a movie theater or restaurant or any other place of business that you go into. On top of that why is there a question if you should carry concealed? If you are carrying legally concealed nobody in charge knows if you have a gun or not. Is there a rule you have to go to the head man and say hey I have a gun can I have your permission to have it here. A church rule that you can have a concealed weapon with nothing in the chamber only! Really! If it's concealed nobody knows you have it anyway let alone being able to take your gun and look at it to see if it's got a round in the chamber.

Maybe having church members know that you have a handgun in church make some of you feel like you are an armed guard, a hero protecting the Sheep! Well, they do call it a flock. Another thing, if you have a concealed carry permit then you most likely have already had a course to help you be legal carrying that gun. What kind of a "class" do you have to sit through to get permission to have a concealed carry weapon that nobody knows about in church.

E
    A church that does not allow Carry is nothing but another gun-free zone. It is an advertisement for bad guys to come here we have no protection and you can shoot as many people as you like without worrying about getting shot in return. Actually, a church with no weapons is worse than the average day-to-day gun-free zone because with all the hatred bigotry and racially motivated hate it is more of a Target than any movie theater or any other gun-free zone.

How many people on this forum have I seen get all upset when a business post a no-gun sign? When that happens it is a personal affront an attempt to remove one's constitutional rights and and insult on a personal level. The calls for boycotts, I'll never shop there again, I'll take my money where it's appreciated, and any number of other reactions are obvious. However when a church does the exact same thing that is okay we will go to the head man and we will ask permission to exercise our 2nd Amendment rights and our God given right to self-defense.

Don
    Flash60601 likes this.
    Don't tell me the sky's the limit; there are footprints on the moon!.... Unknown

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by BC605 View Post
    Yup. Policy has always been if you're legal to carry feel free to do so.
    HOWEVER, a year or so ago our insurance company mandated that members of the Security Team NOT be allowed to carry due to potential liability of people in a security role carrying firearms without having received some kind of approved training.
    I quit the Security Team and joined the Ushers ministry. No prohibitions were placed on Ushers.
    https://www.brotherhoodmutual.com/

Sounds like your church either needs a new insurance provider or you need to eliminate your sanctioned safety team. Your church can have a group of ushers designated to do "safety functions" or some other name of your security team. I got this link from a shooting instructor and looked through here. I didn't realize it at the time, but found out we use Brotherhood for our insurance.

Member #
    Liked
    4902 times
    Quote Originally Posted by 230JHP View Post
    Many churches aren't operating with an excess of funds as it is. The liability insurance associated with organization-sanctioned concealed carry can be a stumbling block.

The church I attend was clear on their policy -- they do not ask anyone, or give permission to anyone, to carry concealed. But they will not interfere with anyone lawfully exercising their Constitutional rights.

I asked one of the pastors what he'd do if there was ever an incident in the worship center, and his answer was that he'd duck. He said he's pretty sure that on any typical Sunday, we've got as much ammunition in the pews as Academy has on the shelves. Yeah, he was stretching it just a little, but after finding out that some of the sweet little old ladies are toting sweet little old .38s, I'm beginning to wonder how much of a stretch he's making.

There are a few points of concern for me -- one is the old guy with Coke-bottle glasses that carries a Judge because he can't see the sights too well.
    We are in a similar situation. We probably have a dozen or so that carry. One sergeant of the State Police. Some of had some training, that I have introduced them too. Some we don't know. But I gave my pastor my TCP after we had a potential for an issue 2 Christmases ago. Our safety plan we are working on, is going to include a small group that we know have a certain level of training be a part of the threat mitigation. Everyone else that carries is responsible for getting to safety, unless the shooter happens to be right next to you. We don't want 10 people shooting across the sanctuary at the same time.

The best part is, I payed for my pastor to take a day long handgun essentials class from the instructor I've trained with for the last couple of years. It was my gift for 'Pastor Appreciation Month'. That class is in 2 weeks, and I am taking at least 3 people from church.possibly a 4th.
    darbo likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links